Why does it work?

Options
I was just wondering: Why do you feel MFP works for you? (Or doesn't, if you feel that way!)

I think it works for me because I used to just mindlessly eat. Now I try to make better food choices based on what I see on the screen as far as calories and fat.

You?

Replies

• kassied09
    Options
    I agree with what you said about mindless eating, but to me MFP is more than that. It is motivation from others and seeing how much they have lost. People supporting me, and me supporting myself. My favorite is the rough estimate of "If every day was like today you would weigh *** lbs".
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I can track my progress, see every morsel of food that does in my mouth on paper, and I have such an amazing support system. So if I happen to slip off the wagon, I've got a bunch of people rooting for me to get back on. :)
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    It reminds me to eat :D
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    Me too. I really love being able to see what I put in my body. The first few weeks of being here, I would log what I ate, but I didn't restrict myself... just to see what I was doing. It was terrible.

I love that I've found really good friends on here too. If I'm having a rough time, I have people I can talk to, and they won't be annoyed, because they know exactly what I'm going through.

Also, I think seeing that I've logged in for X amount of days helps. I almost feel like a recovering addict. It just feels good seeing that I've spent this long caring so much about my health and working hard for it.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    31 lbs. lost. Need I say more.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I've never had good luck with tracking calories before. It always frustrated me and it would end up triggering a binge when it didn't go perfectly. The phone app makes it so convenient though and what really helps me is the community. It's great to have a bunch of people to cheer you on.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    It works for me because
    (a) I am really good at lying to myself about how much I eat, and when I "bite it and write it" it keeps me honest; and
    (b) the forums remind me that I am not the only person who has ever felt the way I do, and that other people who have the same struggles as me have succeeded.
  • Meggie0603
    Meggie0603 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Same for me--I am more mindful when I eat. Instead of grabbing the whole box of crackers or bag of chips, I count out a serving size and only eat that. Also, tracking throughout the day helps me stay on track. Before MFP, if I had a "bad" breakfast, I would think that my whole day was blown, and I would also eat a "bad" lunch and dinner...then the "diet" would start over on the next Monday, again. Now, I realize that just because I have too big of a breakfast or lunch, my day is not shot, and I can still not go over on fat and calories just because of one meal!
  • skippykip
    skippykip Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have some of my close friends on here, and we are all super honest about what we eat. The other day, I had a 1200 calorie meal and recorded every last detail. Even though I planned that out, its nice having the support and encouragement of a network of people. And I agree! That "this is what you would weigh in 5 weeks" thing is great! I don't want to jinx myself, because I am only 2ish weeks into MFP, but so far I am absolutely loving it!
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Oh, also I really like how it tells me my total weight lost every time I weigh in. Even if I'm mad that I gained a pound, it reminds me that I still am doing a lot better than I was.

Great being around like minded people. I've had IRL friends and family kind of sabotage me before. MFP folks don't do that!!
  • AmyPearshape
    AmyPearshape Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above! It helps me make good choices. If a cookie should present itself to me, I can have it, but it might mean having a smaller supper later. So it might not seem worth it! I have said no to some treats lately, with no sadness or regrets! My mindset is changing!