How much do the 6' tall men weigh?

Options
My husband had joined me on my weight loss journey and I'm curious about what a healthy weight might be for a 6' guy with a decent amount of muscle?
He's always been on the overweight side and so I'm having a hard time imagining him in the BMI range of 136-184? Like... when I weighed 136 as a 5'8" female I was a size 4 and my fat% was considered athletic? And his brother who, although 6' is a much much smaller framed guy and is pretty slim and he's like 185.
I'm guessing that muscle mass makes a decent difference so I'm wondering for the 6'tall guys out there with decent muscle mass and like maybe around 20% body fat - how much do you weigh?

(This is just a curiosity for me- in reality we have a very good and balanced diet and exercise routine - cardio and progressive weight lifting- and we will just stay the course and reassess as we go but I'm a data person and really curious if a guy with a big frame and muscular could really weigh under 180??)

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    I'm not 6'...I'm 5'10" and am "sporty" and athletic with decent muscle mass...not big by any means, just a fit athletic build. High end of BMI for me is 174. I maintain at 180ish at around 15% BF. I've gotten as low as 173 when I was doing endurance cycling and I was very lean...around 10%. In high school I was at the very low end of BMI and I was just skinny...no fat and not much muscle either...mostly skin and bone except for my legs. In my 20s I was typically in the 165-170 range...neither skinny, nor fat with regular Joe Schmoe muscle mass. I was physically active, but I didn't really workout or engage in activities that required me to move weight around and build muscle...so I was just "normal". In my 30s I started putting on weight...mostly fat, but some muscle to move that fat body around. I lost 40 Lbs at the end of 2012 through spring of 2013...started lifting in January of 2013 and have been lifting fairly regularly since then and have put on a decent amount of muscle. With my current build, I would have to burn muscle mass to get into the mid range of BMI for my height, which obviously I wouldn't do. My profile picture is me at around 183 Lbs. 15% BF for me is just kind of a sweet spot in terms of aesthetics and ease of maintenance...lower than that and it becomes more difficult for me to maintain...much higher and I don't appreciate the aesthetics.

One of my really good friends is 6'. He's around 165, but he has a pretty slight, lanky build without much fat and not particularly muscular either...definitely not "heroin" thin but not any kind of athletic or "I workout" look either.

One of the reasons I never had a goal weight when losing was because I didn't know how I'd look at a particular weight or what my BF% would be at a particular weight. I knew I wanted to be around 15%ish and that's about it...I had no idea what that weight would be as my build had changed considerably from high school, through my 20s and then through my 30s.

While it is very uncommon to be obese as per BMI and still be at a healthy BF%, it is fairly common for males in particular to be slightly overweight as per BMI but at a healthy BF% if they are active and regularly engage in activities that require moving weight around and aren't "elite" lean. If I'm you're husband, I'm more concerned with having a healthy BF% than being a particular weight...he likely won't know what that weight is until he gets there anyway.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    I claim 6’1” (in reality it’s 6’0.5”) and I pretty much bounce between ~175-185 lbs depending on whether or not I’m bulking or cutting. According to the skulpt device I have, when I started lifting seriously in 2015 (age 26) I was ~18% body fat and was very unhappy with how fat I felt. I was 177 this morning at <15% and less unhappy but still look to add muscle and lose fat. I can’t fathom being content with my body at 20%
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    I know a number of MMA fighters and several of them are 6' and under 180lbs. Welterweight for MMA tops out at 170lbs, and there have been many 6' men in that category. In boxing 175lbs is considered "light heavyweight" and the average height in that division is close to 6' I believe.

Up to 200lbs is considered "heavyweight" and above 200 is "super heavy weight."

One of my exes was 6'2" and a competitive football player and weighed about 175lbs, and another ex was a professional soccer player, just under 6' and weighed just under 160.

Cristiano Ronaldo is 6'1" and 180lbs, and he's pretty bulky for a soccer player.

So yes, for men with low body fat, 6' and under 180lbs is not uncommon at all. But even an extra inch of body fat all over can weigh a ton because their frames are so big, so relatively low amounts of extra fat add up to a huge amount of extra pounds. Which is why a pretty normal looking 6' guy might have 20-30lbs on a really lean guy of the same height.
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    So I’m 6’ and I’m at 189. I’ve dropped to as low as 187 recently but I keep going between 192 and 189. However it seems like the body is fighting going lower. I can actually claim to have a fairly big frame. At 51 I weigh maybe 10 lbs more than I did when I was 22. As I was then I am back at being a jogger now. One thing that I find interesting is even though I weigh more now I actually wear the same 30x32 size pants I wore 30 years back. I’m trying to get to 170-175 and then add some more muscle to be between 175-180.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,605 Member
    Options
    jelleigh wrote: »
    He's always been on the overweight side and so I'm having a hard time imagining him in the BMI range of 136-184?...... And his brother who, although 6' is a much much smaller framed guy and is pretty slim and he's like 185.

Our eyes deceive and it is FAR from uncommon to be deceived! With very clear conscience I can swear to you that I fully believed myself to be "big boned", that normal weight was far from a possibility, and that being "big boned" was one of the reasons I was closer to 300lbs than 250.

Now being in the normal weight range, usually at a point somewhere between BMI of 23.5 and 24.2, wearing medium shirts and size 32 pants I can tell you that:

a) not only am I NOT "big boned"; but I am either normal or SMALL framed.
    b) I am NOT particularly lean and I could EASILY stay the same weight while gaining muscle and reducing fat, IF I were willing to do the work.

Is it possible that if your husband is genetically gifted and has been hitting the weight rooms (or been engaged in work that requires heavy lifting), is it POSSIBLE that a BMI of 27 or so (in the low overweight range in other words) would still represent a healthy fat % for him? Sure. It IS.

But I wouldn't worry too much before then.

If you want to consider a well thought out adjusted BMI figure, one that takes into account age, you can check out smartbmi.com.

If you want to judge whether you're currently at a relatively risk free fat percentage, and you distrust BMI because you believe yourself to be an outlier, the easiest way to confirm your lack of concern is by checking out your Waist to Height Ratio.

A good explanation can be found: https://www.mdapp.co/waist-to-height-ratio-whtr-calculator-433/
    When lining up the tape between your bottom rib and the top of the iliac bone, it is probably easiest to have another person helping, or to use a mirror to ensure the tape is fairly straight.

If waist to height says you're normal weight... and BMI says overweight... I would probably believe waist to height.

If both say you're overweight and you believe you're not, I would say that to your own self be true... but you are probably still, medically, overweight, even if you're happy to be so!
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the insights! It's really helpful
    And @PAV8888 you are so right- i even had this experience myself years ago where I swore I was just a bigger framed person and then I lost a bunch of weight and ended up smaller than I would have thought possible. I guess I have a reference point of"fit" for myself but he never has had that. We will just see where we are at after losing the first large bit and then set goals as we go. :smile:
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    For a height of 6'0", a healthy BMI weight range would be 136-184 pounds. That is as good a starting point as any.

https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/adult_bmi/english_bmi_calculator/bmi_calculator.html
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    My husband is 5'11 and a surfer and gym rat, so pretty lean and muscly. He's around 76kg - so like - 165 ish?
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Hubby is 6' and weighs 204. His dr. called him obese. :# I don't think he took that well. :)
  • Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    It varies depending on bone structure, frame size, activity level or what type of activity. My brother is 6'1 and is a little bit chubby at 200lbs. His healthy weight is between 160-180. Or 190lbs if he's lifting weights.
  • DoubleG2
    DoubleG2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'4". At my heaviest I was 210. Currently, I'm maintaining at 187 - 190. I got as low as 180, but did not like how I felt being so lean. I began lifting 4 years ago and that has significantly changed my body composition. I would estimate I'm roughly 15% body fat based on the mirror. As an older dude, I can't strongly recommend a structured lifting program enough. Mostly for functional fitness, strong bones, ligaments, etc.