Dieting with a teenager in the home…

Options
I’m a single mom with a 16 year old son. I have a limited income and it has been hard to accommodate both of our dietary needs. Lately, I’ve found myself just buying things that he likes which in turn sabotages my efforts at losing weight. Do not misunderstand, his dietary needs or wants are not outrageous however I wouldn’t label it as extremely healthy… (I.,e. White bread, ground beef, white rice and potatoes, lots of dairy, soda, juice, some frozen food) just to mention a few things. He does eat vegetables however I cannot get him to eat fruit and if I buy ally of it it goes bad! Not to mention the struggle I have to get him to drink water! I’m looking for/open to any suggestions that could help my situation!!!!
Please be kind!!! Thank You in advance…

Replies

• Ashkea76
    Ashkea76 Posts: 7,094 Member
    Options
    I just got my son a "fun" water bottle he loves- and I also have some Mio, that stuff you squirt into the water. My oldest kiddo loves fruit, but my youngest does not. I can get him to eat apples and bananas, and that's about the extent of it. I have had luck making some smoothies, and sticking fruit into those, he loves them. Sometimes if we're celebrating something, I'll do a chocolate fondue at home with fresh fruit. I stick a few marshmallows out, but they have to have the fruit too.

I used to make separate food for myself, and the family meal, now I just do one dinner, and try my very best to make it work within my calorie count. it's definitely a balancing act. you can try and sub out the higher calorie or carb stuff if that's super important to you, but I can understand the struggle.

Best of luck!
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Swap the ground beef for ground turkey ( he probably won't notice )
    Just don't buy soda - he'll drink other things if its not there - a few tantrums at first will be worth it to eventually wean him off of it.
    Potatoes and rice are fine - so is dairy.
    I normally have veg instead of rice, pasta, potatoes etc.. when I make bolognese or chilli etc
    Or you could have your own stash of wholewheat carbs - they're fairly cheap.
    Maybe swap the white bread for 50/50 bread.
    Learn some new healthy recipes that you will both enjoy.
    There's so many healthy versions of things kids like that you could make on a budget.
    Like chicken goujons, pizzas, pastas etc ..
    Google is your friend.
    Best of luck 😊

• Philliesfan21
    Philliesfan21 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Ground beef is fine. If he doesn't want fruit, that's fine too as it has natural sugars.

You can search YouTube for healthy recipes. Your son may like something different.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I personally see no issue with rice or potatoes or ground beef...I eat all of those things pretty regularly...if you look at the nutritional profile of a potato in particular, you will quickly realize they are actually packed with nutrition and about as close as you can get to one food being a complete food. Ground beef is just beef that has been ground up and you can get it in different %s of fat. Do you know what the difference between 93% ground beef and 93% ground turkey is? Pretty much nothing, but of course the turkey is for some reason touted as "healthy" where GB is often vilified and it just doesn't make any sense when you actually look at the nutritional profiles.

Those things are also relatively inexpensive. Rice and pasta are good fillers and can pack quite a few calories too...so for you, the biggest thing would be managing your serving sizes. For him, if he's anything like I was at that age, I needed a ton of calories just to even maintain my weight and I was still only about a buck 30 soaking wet. I just needed calories and things like rice and potatoes were cheap and easy ways for my mom to get me calories.

As to fruit, I don't think it's a big deal that he doesn't eat it. If he's eating vegetables, it's really not a big deal that he doesn't eat fruit. If you want to eat fruit I'd just buy enough for you to have a couple servings of fruit daily so it won't go bad...also fruits like apples and oranges and whatnot keep very well and are relatively cheap...you don't need some exotic fruit that goes bad in a few days. I also like berries of all sorts, but if I'm budget restrained, those aren't the first on my list, especially out of season...but you should also be able to finish off a container of fresh strawberries before they go bad if you're eating fruit daily.

As for soda and juice, my mom rarely bought those things...if I wanted that, I had to get the money together and go get it myself. I didn't drink much water at that age...I mostly drank milk...followed closely by iced tea. Again, for me at that age, milk and dairy in general was a good way to keep calories up. I have a 9 and 11 year old and they drink a ton of milk. I personally love dairy, but I only consume it occasionally as those calories can add up pretty quick and I could easily just sit there and drink glass after glass of milk. I try (and sometimes fail) to only consume cheese when I'm having a sandwich and I get it pre-sliced...it's one of those things like milk, where left to my own devices I could sit there with a big chunk of cheddar and eat away while I wash it down with a glass of milk.

The bottom line really is that most kids need calories like crazy...and me being middle aged don't. So portion control is a huge component of weight management. When we have family dinner, my wife and I will often have whatever protein and veg, while our kids will have the same along with pasta or rice, etc. We grill burgers about once per week when grilling season kicks off...my wife and I usually have a burger and a side salad...depending on where we are with weight management we may or may not have the bun...while our kids have all of that along with tater tots or french fries from the oven.
  • natajane
    natajane Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I am a single mum too :) Maybe make a list of the foods he likes the most, then find a comparable healthy recipe and make it together? Its often a lot cheaper to cook from scratch and in bulk and freeze it than it is to buy ready made foods.
    I often cook with my daughter and we have a long Saturday morning walk together as well around the woods. She doesn't know I'm counting calories or getting steps in, she sees it as healthy quality time spent together. Its actually really lovely and has benefited our lives.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I'll share what I did when my daughter was young and Mac n' cheese and cheeseburgers were her favorites. I mentally separated myself from eating the same things as her and my husband. If I tried to be "let's all eat together as. family and I am the martyr who suffers.. "
    I put myself first. I planned my food for my diet first and foremost. I bought my daughter the frozen pizza she liked and all the other stuff. Fed her that..and I never sat at the table. She didn't notice a thing.. she had the food she liked and I stayed on my diet and lost al my weight. She is grown now.. healthy ..happy.. educated and we share healthy recipes all the time as she eats well and works out.

So.. don't throw yourself on your mother sword.. dragging your son into your new lifestyle where both of you don't get what you need . Let him be a kid and eat like one.... and you look out for your eating plan. or you'll never get the weight off.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I'll share what I did when my daughter was young and Mac n' cheese and cheeseburgers were her favorites. I mentally separated myself from eating the same things as her and my husband. If I tried to be "let's all eat together as. family and I am the martyr who suffers.. "
    I put myself first. I planned my food for my diet first and foremost. I bought my daughter the frozen pizza she liked and all the other stuff. Fed her that..and I never sat at the table. She didn't notice a thing.. she had the food she liked and I stayed on my diet and lost al my weight. She is grown now.. healthy ..happy.. educated and we share healthy recipes all the time as she eats well and works out.

So.. don't throw yourself on your mother sword.. dragging your son into your new lifestyle where both of you don't get what you need . Let him be a kid and eat like one.... and you look out for your eating plan. or you'll never get the weight off.

This is what I do too. Single mom with 2 teenage boys. There are times when I prepare a meal and I just enter the recipe into MFP and eat my portion accordingly. I also put out the raw veggies that they will eat, or a salad, that they can have if they want. Believe it or not, I made ribs for the super bowl, and ate, and stayed well with in my calories.
  • willboywonder
    willboywonder Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    So, since you have limited income and unable to offer monetary incentives, maybe you can offer your son incentives such as expanded privileges or freedoms he can earn as he succeeds at eating healthier even if only starting out small. You could try small things, like, have him eat apples or strawberries rather than cookies or pies, substituting brown rice for white or wheat bread for white bread. Just doing this for two meals per week can have great benefits for him. See if he's willing to try this....and maybe he can suggest the fruits he may be more willing to eat since you say he's not a fan of fruit. Give this a try. Encourage your teenager to try to eat healthier too. Those will be good habits that will help him as he gets older. As you know, diet-related health problems increase as we get older. It could prove to be a great incentive and motivation for both of you. I know of several families who employ this method and it does help with encouraging kids to eat healthier. Good luck. Hope this helps.
  • fatty2begone
    fatty2begone Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I know this is a very serious post... But to lighten up the day just a smidge....

When my one and only teenage son was at home, he ate everything. Didn't think about leaving anything for anyone else. Example: I made a chicken, rice, broccoli casserole, went back into my office to work. Came out about hour or so later and the whole dang thing was gone. Yep a serving for 6 gone with one individual in one sitting. He is a big guy, football in high school, and apparently very ravenous. (I was in a healthy weight range then... Not so much now)

Now for all seriousness, I would try either eat smaller portions of whatever you are making for him, or consider yourself very important too, and take care of your individual needs. Soda and juice can be cut back to special treats or occasions. Your health is way more important then the sugary good stuff.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with white rice, potatoes, ground beef, dairy... I have a teenaged son (along with a husband and 2 younger boys) and basically he is on his own for breakfast, lunch and snacks, and I cook dinner at night for everyone. I just buy the things he likes to eat for lunch/breakfast/snacks etc. and they don't interfere with me and my diet at all. Weight loss is about calories and portion sizes. I wouldn't worry about catering your dinners to his taste vs. yours. Just make one meal and he can eat it or not. He can eat more of the starchy stuff like pasta/bread/rice/ etc since he probably needs a lot more calories than you. If you are limited on money, I would just stop buying soda and juice since they don't provide much nutritional benefit.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!