Tips for sugar addiction?

Options
Addiction runs in my family. I have never had any problems with drugs or alcohol but sugar is my nemesis. I often wish I had a problem with something I could cut out completely instead! Anyone else have this issue? What did you do to finally kick it?

Replies

• Tammybarb65
    Tammybarb65 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I just sit and crave sweets. I crave it at night when I go to bed. I want to get up and eat sweets. I think that's where most of my weight came from.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    I was addicted to alcohol at a much younger point in my life. :( Having children helped reverse that and I hardly drink anymore, maybe 1 drink every couple of years.

But yes, the sugar craving is one I just cannot get a stronghold on. I restarted eating healthy a couple days before New Year's Day this year, after gaining 20 hard lost pounds. I did oh soooo well for a month+, then dh bought me my favorite ice cream this past Friday. :/ He meant well, I know. And I should've been stronger, just let him eat it like he offered. But no. I ate it all, in one sitting. :( Saturday I did ok but had stopped counting calories. Sunday we went out to lunch, which wasn't bad, but then Sunday night came and I went crazy with binge-ing. I made cookies for him Monday, gave some away and left him about a dozen. Grabbed 2 for myself. :( Now all I want to do is eateateat all the sugar and carbs. :(

I need to start logging my calories in again, this morning. It's the only thing that saves me from myself. Well, that, plus not having anything in the house that I can't say no to. :( Those 2 things right there, have been the best way to avoid all the sugar and carbs that I don't need.

It was weird, after a month of not eating that stuff I found myself not craving it. But as soon as that ice cream showed up in the freezer, it was all over. :/
  • mvarga1972
    mvarga1972 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I totally feel your pain! I also have a sugar addiction & have been fighting it for years.

One of the main things that has helped me in the past year, surprising as it is LOL, reading labels for hidden sugars. They are every where! I even did a modified Whole30 to help cut my sugar addiction. It did really help! Then I listened to a Podcast where they talked about how sugar is hidden in everything and how to change your diet to break free. I have tried to substitute fruit in place of sweets. I find they are sweet and I can have several of them with each meal. I do still use Truvia (only 1 though) in my coffee in the morning but I can really tell when I go too heavy on the creamer. I will notice days later when I feel like I want more sweets.

It has really helped me by switching out products I use for a brand that doesn't have loaded sugar ingredients. Plus adding more fresh fruit, vegetables. I adopted the mindset farm to table, the fewer steps between the two the better it is for me. I use this for fruit, vegetables & meat, frozen is OK, canned stuff I read the ingredients.
    I really don't know if this will help you but it certainly did me. If your interested I can also share the Podcast that really helped me, I didn't go extreme as she suggests but I did defiantly adopt a lot of what she says and do feel better.
  • Crystalr489
    Crystalr489 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm a total sugar addict myself too. Every time i crave it, i try to get some natural ones from fruits rather than the processed stuff. It's a process, but you eventually get used to it.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I like sweet things and I don't see it as a problem. As the commenter above suggested, getting your sugar fix from things without added sugar is a great idea.

I still eat stuff with added sugar, just a lot less than I used to.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Fruit...nature's candy
  • fancyqtr
    fancyqtr Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with that, too. For a while I was able to look at all those things that I liked that were full of sugar and then walk on past. Now I can't manage to stop eating sugary things. When I get upset I have to have ice cream, which is a problem in more ways than one because I am lactose intolerant and have diabetes. So I am hoping to follow this discussion.