Is brown rice always better than white rice?

Options
124»

Replies

• solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Absorption issues are always problematic and very individual.

Fiber, by its nature is not absorbed, do we agree? So nutrients bound into highly fibrous foods do not as easily get absorbed by our digestive systems, in general. That's why highly processed foods generally make us fatter, because our bodies more easily absorb the nutrients in those foods.

Fat, carbohydrates, and protein are all nutrients. A nutrient is a chemical that an organism needs to live and grow or a substance used in an organism's metabolism which must be taken in from its environment.

The fact that we can eat and enjoy tasty foods and not absorb all the nutrients contained in those foods is seen by many (including me) as a benefit, not a detriment.

So in general the fact that brown rice has more fiber, and that fact contributes towards not absorbing all of the starches in the rice, is a positive.

I still say, use the right rice for the right dish! It will make your meals more enjoyable! A restricted diet does not have to be torture people.
  • spinachdiva
    Options
    wow...this has sparked quite a discussion. Thanks for all the info :)
  • kiku76
    kiku76 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    this thread was absolutely enlightening.
    I have a bag of white rice and a bag of brown and compared the 2 labels. OMG! all this time I've been eating brown rice cause I thought it was better. I guess it's more about no rice vs rice than brown vs white right?
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    As for my calorie comparison, I mistakenly compared cooked white rice to raw brown rice. Interestingly enough, raw white rice has a few more calories per 100 grams, but cooked the opposite is true. 100 grams of cooked white rice actually has a few less calories than 100 grams of cooked rice.
    that'll be down to water absorption. White rice takes on more water - that's why it gets fkuffier.

Dry weights are always better for cal comparisons, i think.

Interesting thread. I simply prefer brown rice, except for with a good curry.
  • aldale
    aldale Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    this thread was absolutely enlightening.
    I have a bag of white rice and a bag of brown and compared the 2 labels. OMG! all this time I've been eating brown rice cause I thought it was better. I guess it's more about no rice vs rice than brown vs white right?

Yes Both rices are high in carbs! I say eliminate no food just cook rice in moderation and limit how much of it you eat.