Such ugly UI!

dearwfa2951
dearwfa2951 Posts: 1 Member
edited December 2021 in Introduce Yourself
Hi, just joined today. First impressions, damn this is poorly designed. Finding foods to log is like being in the Wild West, no consistency, nothing official, nothing adds up. Can’t import workouts from Strava after connecting it, no integration with Apple Watch, I’m massively underwhelmed. What are you all doing here still?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    The integration issues and uploading are temporary and they're working on a fix. They did some maintenance early in the week that broke everything.

The database leaves a lot to be desired. It is crowdsourced by users so there's a lot of wrong info and entries have to be vetted.

I'm here mostly for the interaction with other fitness folks...I don't log anything anymore and haven't for years. When I did, I stuck with it because it was free...I stayed with it because there's not a community forum anywhere else that is as active as it is here...and I still pay nothing.
  • You can track your calories, and some of us do track workouts. I have lost 100 lbs using this tool, and it is really helpful for me to stay on track. It is a nice free tool, you don't have to use it. Nobody is forcing you to.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,726 Member
    After the initial 'hump' of finding and correcting the foods I consume regularly, they're easy to find in the frequent foods.

Aside from the occasional glitch, my Garmin syncs well with MFP.

And then there are the forums and newsfeeds.

This website/app has helped me lose 70lbs, so my complaints really are minimal compared to the benefits.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,479 Member
    By some miracle, I was able to use the ugly, inconsistent, Wild West, unofficial, poorly designed free version of MFP to log/track through two bodybuilding show preps, successfully enough to actually win a state title. In other words, no matter how much you wanna complain, it works if you do.

So maybe, just maybe, you either need to take a deep breath and realize that you might actually have to make some minor accommodations for a FREE service, or just go ahead and peace out.
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Feel free to go elsewhere if you don't like it... I've been here just over a decade, it's great.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Hah! Tell us how you really feel!

I think it works pretty well from a phone. Try the bar code search, for example. I don't like doing entries on a computer. I agree that it's high time to clean up the database, but the advantage is that I've found some pretty obscure stuff on it (such as various craft beers). As you find entries you like, they become automatically available on your "frequents" list. Creating meals is very convenient.

As will all things, you have to take time to get it working. It's definitely frustrating at first.

Note: My wife likes Noom better. You can always try that.
  • Amelainn
    Amelainn Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2022
    I would like to know if you managed to solve your problem. I am studying to be a designer, and I need to consider as many practice problems as possible, so I would be very grateful if you would answer me and explain how you did in the end. I decided to learn design in quarantine when the city was in a knockdown. I like everything so far, but sometimes, questions like yours make me completely confused. I would be happy if you advised me something on this topic. Thank you in advance for any answers