Help with calories and exercise

Options
I’ve always managed on MFP successfully losing decent amount on 1200 cals. However I joined a gym 6 months ago where I’m doing weights 3x a week, burning around 400-500 cals a session, I also try and do on average 7k steps a day. I don’t know what cals to be on now as I need more but on 1700 I’m not losing at all! I think I’m losing inches but i do weigh a lot and so health wise need to lose. Can anyone advise what to try?

Im - 5ft9 and weigh 12st2lbs at the moment. Im not petite but not broad, wear size 12-14 clothes.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    How are you estimating your calories for those weights workouts?
    That is a really, really high estimate unless those sessions are each two hours long.

If you are basing your estimate on heart rate then that would be a mistake.

Are you accounting for your steps with your activity setting?
  • slf2512
    slf2512 Posts: 7 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    @sijomial id not thought of this, I’m basing it on my Fitbit which works out cals on heart rate I believe. I do approx an hour give or take of weights. I’d not accounted steps as my activity as well as weights. I’m so lost!!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Unless you are specifically telling your device you are doing weights it will think your elevated HR is from cardio which has a much higher burn rate.

The strength training entry (in the cardiovascular part of the diary) will only estimate about 230cals for an hour and likely to be much closer to reality.

Your first decision is how to calorie count and whether you want a same every day eating goal or a variable one.
    :
    Fitbit as a linked 24hr tracker.

MyFitnessPal - Probably lightly active plus exercise calories on the day. (Remember activty and exercise are two separate things using the MFP method).

TDEE calculator - to give a same every day goal including an estimate for both activity and average exercise.

Plus if you have been maintaining weight for an extended period of time you already should have (or can calculate) the eating level you need to hit to lose.