Only have carpet for scales!

Options
Hi all,

I just need some advice! We’ve just moved house and there isn’t one surface which gives me an accurate reading! We either have carpet, textured tiles which make the scale rock or Lino which causes really inaccurate readings (nearly two stone less!)

Is there a way to offset the carpet issue because I don’t think standing outside my front door half naked in a morning will go down well with the neighbours! Thank you!

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Can you get a thick-ish, flat piece of wood or concrete/stone to set it on top of, like a paver or similar? I'd recommend putting the wood/paver on the tile floor, as that's going to be the firmest surface you have.
  • rj2308
    rj2308 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of something like that! The only tile I have is by the fire place which isn’t very big or in the porch, but again the porch is on view for everyone! Xx
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,936 Member
    Options
    I would consider unyielding as more accurate than yielding

A large porcelain type tile on the lino or supersized tile size block of wood under the scale

As long as your measurement conditions are repeatable you should be able to get meaningful results over time.

Carpets do not compress the same way, so not repeatable
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    I think if you put the paver and maybe a bunch of heavy books on the carpet and left it like that for a while, it would compress the carpet beneath it pretty uniformly - you would need to leave the paver and scale there all the time, though.

For the lino - if it's always off by the same amount, you may be able to recalibrate your scale, or calibrate your brain to know that if the scale says 160 it's actually 144 or whatever the actual offset is.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,548 Member
    Options
    Wait, carpet in the bathroom and kitchen? Ugh! :s Can you get a single bathroom/garden tile that you place somewhere in either room, in a corner where it's not really in the way? It might still rock somewhat, but then the whole stone rocks and not whatever fluffy is directly below the wee scale feet. Hmm.. maybe a pizza stone is another option. Then it's not a uni-use thingy :D
  • threec
    threec Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    https://www.withings.com/ca/en/body-cardio

Scale that will work on carpet
  • PAV8888
    Options
    threec wrote: »
    https://www.withings.com/ca/en/body-cardio

Scale that will work on carpet

@threec I can't see enough from the pictures / on my phone as to how/why it works on carpet?

Does it have a solid bottom design with the force sensors inside the body of the scale (isolating the top platform and force measurement section from whatever it is placed on, sort of like an Oxo kitchen scale or some jewellery scales) as opposed to having the sensors on feet that sink into the carpet?
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Yup @threec it does indeed look as if weight platform is inside the body and there are no external feet to sink into the carpet!

So assuming the chassis is not flexing for them, this should be a suitable scale for someone who is planning to use it on carpet.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,369 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Wait, carpet in the bathroom and kitchen? Ugh! :s Can you get a single bathroom/garden tile that you place somewhere in either room, in a corner where it's not really in the way? It might still rock somewhat, but then the whole stone rocks and not whatever fluffy is directly below the wee scale feet. Hmm.. maybe a pizza stone is another option. Then it's not a uni-use thingy :D

When I first moved into this house, every room was carpeted, including the kitchen and both bathrooms. It was gross, and the first thing I changed. However, since I rarely used the downstairs bathroom, it remained carpeted for a lot longer and that's where my scale is. I cut a piece of leftover plywood the size of the scale and that's what it sat on for many years. That may only have worked because it was a very low pile carpet, however.
  • threec
    threec Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It’s all internal I believe, I’ve had one for almost a year and on hard tile or carpet it reads the exact same. When the manual said it can be used on carpet I was totally skeptical!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

Well, no - I read it as carpet, textured tiles, lino.

Presumably the textured tiles and lino are in the bathroom and kitchen.