Artificial sweeteners - do they really make you GAIN weight?

Options
I've been reading some posts and a few articles about artificial sweeteners and how they can actually make you GAIN weight. It seems as if the main cause is that it makes you crave sugary things:

"The theory is that our bodies sense the sweetness of the food and expect the calories. When you consume the artificial sweetener without the calories, your body continues to crave the calories so you end up eating more calories later on." http://www.medicinenet.com/artificial_sweeteners/page11.htm

My question is; if you use artificial sweeteners with a calorie controlled diet, will you still gain weight? They are saying that the reason you will gain is because you will be craving sugar and therefore eat more calories, but if you are consistently under your calorie goal, is the theory still relevant? I use 3 sweetener tablets in my tea (I know, its a lot) and have about 3 cups a day. I really enjoy the sweetness and don't want the extra calories of sugar. Do I need to make a change?

Replies

• suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    no its fine if youre logging and not going over calories.
    For people who just eat what they want whenever, they may find theyre more inclined to reach for more food after artificial sweetners, but if youre actually being controlled and not giving in to cravings anyway, it wont be an issue
  • nattiepeach
    nattiepeach Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thank heavens! I can't live without it :)
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    only going over on calories can make you gain weight (proper weight not water weight) but.....

I recently developed an "addiction" to sugar free jelly (jell-o) no biggie, the whole 4 portion thing is only 36 calories so i was eating my normal food and having a daily treat of jelly...about 2 weeks in I realised I was constantly hungry and wondered if it could be the jelly and the artificial sweeteners...I weaned myself down to once or twice a week and my hunger pangs are back under control.

So although artificial sweeteners do not cause weight gain I believe they can cause you to feel hungrier than usual and if you give in to the hunger then yes you could gain weight

Just my thoughts but they do tie in a little with some findings
  • Jcat52643
    Jcat52643 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    only going over on calories can make you gain weight (proper weight not water weight) but.....

I recently developed an "addiction" to sugar free jelly (jell-o) no biggie, the whole 4 portion thing is only 36 calories so i was eating my normal food and having a daily treat of jelly...about 2 weeks in I realised I was constantly hungry and wondered if it could be the jelly and the artificial sweeteners...I weaned myself down to once or twice a week and my hunger pangs are back under control.

So although artificial sweeteners do not cause weight gain I believe they can cause you to feel hungrier than usual and if you give in to the hunger then yes you could gain weight

Just my thoughts but they do tie in a little with some findings

I agree with this post and your original post. It does trick the brain into expecting more calories, which causes your body to release more insulin, which causes you to feel more hungry. However, if you aren't going over your calories, it won't make you gain weight. I have been dieting for 3 months and drinking artificially sweetened everything and have managed to lose 20 pounds.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't eat more, it won't make you gain weight.

Personally, diet soda helps me eat less.
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options

yea me too... i cut out the diet soda and i ate lyk a crazy person... i added it back and i can stay under...usually have a hard time eating enuff :P
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

yea me too... i cut out the diet soda and i ate lyk a crazy person... i added it back and i can stay under...usually have a hard time eating enuff :P

Same! I realize that 70% of the time I'm eating, I'm only doing it because A) I'm bored. B) I want a flavor. Diet soda gives me that flavor I'm craving, and drinking it from a straw or bottle occupies my hands and mouth. It's a win/win.