Struggling to find different recipes that dont have stuff i dont like in it

Options
Let me start off my saying " Yes I know I'm picky and weird ! " LOL Im trying to find recipes ( mainly crockpot ones ) that is low carb, high protein . All the ones I see online have onions, peppers, some kind of fish or seafood. I absolutely cant do onions. I usually just substitute an onion with onion powder. I have a texture issue with food. Been that way since i was little. cant stand the crunch from onions and peppers. I need help finding recipes that dont have onions , peppers or fish/seafood in it. I really wish I could eat fish/seafood. Every time i do , I start to feel really sick to my stomach within 30 mins of eating it. NO MATTER how its cooked or what kind of fish it is. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    I look at recipes as a guideline...unlike baking, you can do whatever the hell you want with one. I'm not sure why everything you look at is fish...I use Pinterest most of the time for my recipes and I have all kinds of different recipes for chicken, beef, pork, fish, etc. Maybe whatever filter you're using is too specific.

At any rate, in most cases one protein can be substituted for another...for example, I have a nice blackened pan fried white fish recipe, but it works equally well with shrimp or chicken or a nice steak. Onions and peppers are common cooking ingredients for flavor, but also add moisture for applications like crock pot meals that can easily dry out and end up complete garbage without enough moisture. Just use something else...or again, expand your search. I prefer Pinterest for this kind of stuff rather than just googling.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    OK, so onions and peppers are mainly a texture thing, and crunchy is Bad - I don't think I've ever had onions and peppers still crunchy after stewing in the crockpot, though, so I'm not clear on what the problem is here. Do you also not like the texture of very well-cooked onions and peppers? I get it, they can take on kind of a squishy, slimy feel that someone could find unpleasant, that's fair. Have you tried cutting them up into smaller pieces? Onions especially, if you cut them small enough and cook them long enough, basically disappear into a lot of dishes - you get the good good oniony flavor without the crunchy or slimy bits. The key is patience; onions Do Not cook in five minutes no matter what the recipe blog tells you, I don't know what kind of magic jet burners they're cooking on that caramelize onions instantly, but chances are good your home stove will take more like 10-15 minutes to soften, 30-40 minutes to caramelize. Peppers have a skin that doesn't break down as quickly as the flesh does, and that can get annoying; it's possible to roast and peel them to get rid of that skin, and then you can just chop up the flesh and use it however you normally would. But if that's too much work for a food you don't even like, 99% of the time you can just leave the peppers out and it's fine, seriously. There's nothing magic about peppers, you can get vitamin C and whatever other nutrients they have from other foods.

Sounds like you might have a seafood allergy or sensitivity, if you get sick every time. The good news is that it's really easy to avoid that problem by just not eating fish and seafood. If you find a recipe that calls for fish or seafood, you can either skip it or swap in a different protein - chicken is an easy sub if you can do that, and most things that taste good with fish work on chicken as well. You might also consider exploring the wide world of plant-based alternative proteins.

Ultimately though, you need to be okay with experimenting. If you find a recipe that has an ingredient you don't like, the problem isn't the recipe. You can play around with it, leave the ingredient out, use less of it, find a substitute. You're an adult, you don't get to both be picky AND sit there and pout about it, it's on you to figure out how to make food that works for you.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Allrecipes.com has a feature where you can list the things you have on hand and it will suggest meal ideas. I like doing that, and you could just input foods you like and see what it gives you.
    Are you searching for "Low fat, high protein?" Because that's why you'll get fish. It's the lowest fat percentage for the protein (most fish - I mean sure some of them are fatty like salmon.)
    Don't try to do low-fat, you won't be able to stick to it and you'll be miserable. Just eat the protein, fat, and carb percentages suggested on this site (50%C 30%F 20%P). They're reasonable and easy to stick with.
    You don't need recipes, but they're helpful for a starting point, like the previous posters suggest. I didn't do a lot of cooking when I first started. I still had a lot of the same foods I'd always eaten. I lost my 80 pounds and have kept it off for 14 years.
    It's all about Calories for weight management. The fat, protein and carb ratios are important to a degree for nutrition, but that's mostly about making sure to get Enough fat and Enough protein.
    Eat the food you like in the portions that fit your food/nutrition needs. It does take a while to figure out what works, but just plug food into your food page and see the numbers.

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    I don't cook but I was going to suggest just leaving whatever you don't like out. Good point about the onions and peppers no longer being crunchy when cooked tho.

Ok, this is going to be a very boring crockpot idea but when I used to make it, it didn't kill me so... :)

Boneless skinless chicken breast, some kind of seasoning rub (The ONLY one I ended up liking was Accent), and enough water to almost cover it. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4ish.

Pure protein. :p

Also, LOL because I just had flashbacks to the days I'd hang out on irc in adult chat channels, got hit on when a newbie found out I was female, and was once actually told "It's ok to have sex. We're both adults". My reply was, "Yeah and, as an adult, I'm allowed to say no".

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Also, you don't really need recipes...or a lot of recipes. Most of what my wife and I cook during the week is really basic. When we're cutting weight, usually just a protein that is seasoned or marinated in something, and a veg. When we're in maintenance we usually add a grain or starch to that. We typically do things that are either one sheet pan dinners (everything on a sheet pan in the oven), or grilled protein and sautéed veg, or some shallow pan fried protein and either sautéed veg or roasted veg...occasionally a side salad. Nothing takes us more than about 15-20 minutes tops and there isn't a particular recipe involved. Just seasonings and marinades we like.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Leave out what you don't want. Sub different meat - most crock pot recipes I see use chicken.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,428 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Throw a pound or two of frozen chicken breast in a crockpot. Take the powder and salsa pack from a taco kit and dump on top. There’s enough water in the chicken and salsa that you don’t have to add anything else.

Set on low, let cook 8-10 hours. Shred and enjoy in the tacos with whatever filling you can tolerate: shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes or radishes, avocado, etc.

Chicken pork or beef, few tablespoons of BBQ sauce and a squirt of liquid smoke in a crockpot. Shred and eat on a nice crusty roll.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,071 Member
    Options
    Another vote for not mostly worrying about recipes. Put in the things you like, leave out the ones you don't. What's the worst that can happen? A sub-par meal or two . . . and at worst, it'll be a learning experience. It's worth that experience. It's also how learning to really cook (not just follow recipes) happens.

I've been cooking for . . . hmmm . . . 5+ decades. I look at recipes in terms of structural and non-structural ingredients.

Things like baked goods tend to have more structural ingredients, some of them subtle. In those cases, better to follow the recipes for all but flavorings (and maybe read some food science if you want to muck around with those recipes, because there are for sure some rules of thumb).

In main dishes, ignoring unusual things like souffle or something, there usually aren't many structural ingredients at all. It's mostly about flavors and textures, and you can manipulate those any way you like. Generally, for mains, it's mostly just thickeners (for sauces and such) that are potentially structural . . . and the worst that can happen is that you get a broth when you wanted a sturdier sauce, or a near-solid when you wanted something more liquid-y. Some of that's obvious/intuitive. For the parts that aren't, it's worth the risk, and you'll figure it out longer term.

Don't be afraid to improvise, experiment, riff on recipes. The downside risk is small, and the upside is figuring out how you personally like to cook and eat, which is powerful longer term.
  • perryc05
    perryc05 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Sauteing onions (an peppers for that matter) for 10 - 15 minutes on low heat makes them soft and there will be no crunch. Sauteed onions (sometimes in combination with other vegetables like carrots, celery leek and peppers) is the basis of just about all savory cooking across many cultures. But I would think if you don't like something leave it out.

Kashmiri and Hare Krishna food omits onions (and garlic) as they abstain from them for religious reasons so those are cuisines you could scope out.
  • ciaoder
    ciaoder Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Bell pepper powder or flakes are available if you want to try and stay true to a recipe's flavor profile.

Because you're going to need to adjust the liquid in some of these recipes I'd recommend using chicken stock or bone broth (home made if you can get it done) instead of water. It'll add about 30cal per cup used but almost all of that is collagen/protein. Making and using homemade chicken stock can be a huge leap forward for the home chef.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Homemade chicken broth is best, but a bouquet garni wrapped tightly with string and removed before serving gets one 90% there with 10% of the mess. Use celery thin carrots, parsley, bay leaves at a minimum; garlic rosemary and thyme optional.

Most people complain about the onions dissolving in a slow cooker, but if they still are bothersome, a few seconds in the blender before cooking will solve it and retain the real onion taste. I don't think bell peppers contribute much to any dish except stuffed peppers so I'd leave them out.

But, more to the OP's point, why fool with recipes anyway? If you are wedded to a crockpot (cat food maker in my opinion) just drop in some boneless, skinless chicken thighs and a bottle of salad dressing or salsa and and salt and pepper and call it a day.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    If texture is an issue maybe you could try using a food processor or stick blender, either before or after adding the ingredients. You'd have to figure out the best point to do it unless you want everything soupy. Although if you slow cook onions and peppers they become very soft and deliciously sweet anyway so maybe look at slow cook recipes.
  • ToffeeApple71
    ToffeeApple71 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I would look at the reason the ingredient you don't like is included, and then substitute with something you do like, that does the same job or just leave it out altogether.
    So if the onion is for sweetness, I'd choose something else that adds sweetness. Or if it's for flavour I'd add more garlic or use onion powder.
    Capsicums may be added for the exact reason you don't like, crunch! So omit them, or add something else for crunch like nuts/seeds. If it's for colour, choose something else that adds that colour...red/green/yellow depending on the Capsicum required in the recipe.

My son hates onion with a passion so I've not used them for about 18 years! Don't miss them. Don't miss the crying when cutting!

Experiment with flavours and textures until you're happy then keep that recipe.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Baking is science, you usually should not leave stuff out and be careful with substitutions.

Cooking is art - you can remove things you find unpleasant and add things you like.

My husband is like this with textures. When we made rotel cheesedip we blend the rotel in the blender...only way he will eat it! (I admit, I like it better this way too)...unfortunately I'm not eating dairy anymore so I miss me some cheesedip!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    I would say just leave the onions and peppers out if you don't like them. And yeah, onion powder is probably a good option to add some of the flavor back in. you will likely find onion in almost every recipe, it's a staple ingredient.

I think the crock pot is a good option for big cuts of meat, like you could do a pot roast or a pork butt. I'm doing mississippi pot roast (you can google that). Or just a regular pot roast. I've done pork with bbq sauce, or I've done carnitas for tacos... I use the crock pot for soups sometimes but I don't know of a low carb soup. I make chicken bone broth in my crock pot.

It's easy to say just don't follow recipes but it can be overwhelming to cook something up without a recipe if you're inexperienced.
  • perryc05
    perryc05 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    A great resource: https://www.allrecipes.com
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    21 Classic Recipes For People Who Really Effing Hate Onions:
    https://www.popsugar.com/food/Recipes-Without-Onions-41519167

Buddha bowls are great and usually don't have onions/peppers or seafood:
    https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/305259680984386500/

Try researching Low Fodmap recipes.
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I don't like crunchy things in my cooked food either (except nachos!). If I put onion in something, I put the onion in the food processor and make it like apple sauce consistency. Then I add it. It puts the flavor but not the texture. I hate green peppers. I put in red or yellow or orange peppers instead or just leave it out entirely.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Let me start off my saying " Yes I know I'm picky and weird ! " LOL Im trying to find recipes ( mainly crockpot ones ) that is low carb, high protein . All the ones I see online have onions, peppers, some kind of fish or seafood. I absolutely cant do onions. I usually just substitute an onion with onion powder. I have a texture issue with food. Been that way since i was little. cant stand the crunch from onions and peppers. I need help finding recipes that dont have onions , peppers or fish/seafood in it. I really wish I could eat fish/seafood. Every time i do , I start to feel really sick to my stomach within 30 mins of eating it. NO MATTER how its cooked or what kind of fish it is. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I've seen plenty of crock pot recipes online (but not in cookbooks) that call for adding add raw onions. I NEVER do this. They simply don't soften. Like others have said, you can leave them out, but if you do want the aromatic without the crunch, sauté them first. Or keep subbing onion powder.

I would like to eat more fish and the reason I don't is because it costs so much more than chicken. (I do eat more every year at this time because there are sales for Lent.) Chicken thighs are much cheaper than fish and work great in the crock pot.

Here I used allrecipes Advanced Search option to get you 27 slow cooker recipes that include chicken thighs and exclude peppers:

https://www.allrecipes.com/search/results/?IngExcl=peppers&IngIncl=chicken thigh&search=slow cooker

I use allrecipes a lot and ALWAYS read the comments for trends like too much salt, not enough salt, too long a cooking time, not enough cooking time, etc.

It might be worth your while to get a few crock pot (now more commonly called "slow cooker") cook books from your library system. Sure, online recipes are convenient, and allrecipes' include/exclude feature is great, but there is something to be said for using recipes that were good enough to be published on paper. My library system has over 800 results for "slow cooker," 20 of which are also tagged as "low carbohydrate."
  • Bridgie3
    Bridgie3 Posts: 139 Member
    Options

The thing about stew, if we haul ourselves back in time, is that people put in:
    1. what they had around the place
    2. what they liked.

That's all you need to do. Make your own thing, with the foods you like. A standard beef stew would involve onions, but your onion powder would be fine. If you don't like lots of carb in there, put extra meat. :D Having said that, onions should not crunch in a stew ever. They need to be fried first, to get rid of that stinky bo smell and caramelise them; and they should dissolve in the stew.

I have a chicken stew recipe involving pineapple and banana, has chicken stock, salt and pepper and that's about it.

Find your own space, experiment with the crock pot and put in only those things you enjoy. :)