Advice on the last 10lbs please.

Options
So I'm down to losing the last 10lb! I have also joined the gym. I would like some advice on what sort of exercise I should be doing. The last 1lb feels like it's pretty much all in my stomach! The rest of me looks OK. Should I be doing strength training while still eating in a deficit or this a bad idea? This is the area I am confused by. I don't want to be skinny fat. Or do I wait until I've dropped the 10lb and then strength train whilst eating at maintenance?
Thanks for any advice.
I'm 40, 5ft8 and 150 lb.

Replies

• MrsLg
    MrsLg Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thanks you for the advice, very helpful!
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Strength train now. For anyone else reading this, endeavoring to begin on a weigh loss journey...start strength training from the beginning. Don't ever delay strength training to 'lose fat first' or to avoid 'getting bulky'.

K, back to you. Yes, strength train if you now have access to a gym! It's possible even if you are in a calorie deficit. Not necessarily to make major gains or hit significant weight goals but it's important for health overall and to maintain current lean muscle mass while losing weight. Some of the weight you lose when in a calorie deficit is inevitably lean muscle. We wan to keep as much of that as we can!

Also, start thinking about raising your calorie goal to closer to your maintenance level (meaning slower weight loss, smaller deficit). Continuing to have a high caloric deficit when you only have a little bit to lose doesn't really help. Just getting into the gym and doing strength training will help increase your resting metabolic rate anyway and I'd think you'll start noticing that you're more hungry anyway.
  • MrsLg
    MrsLg Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Great advice again, thank you. I will do that.