Why does water make such a difference?

Options
I am not questioning it at all - and in fact have noticed if I don't drink adequate water I plateau, but am wondering if anyone knows why a good intake of water translates into more weight loss?
Debbie

Replies

• 10fairywings
    10fairywings Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hi there, it's mainly because the more water you drink the less your body holds on to. The other indirect thing of course it's it's cal free, so replacing sugary drinks with water also makes a massive difference to cal consumption over a day. I think there was a man recently that lost 2 stone by just cutting out coke. But the first bit is the main reason lol!
  • Jayra
    Jayra Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Your body also requires water to convert fat into energy, thus you need the water to lose weight.
  • johnhowson
    johnhowson Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Also I think for kidney function because if you are losing weight your body produces more wastes and these need to be eliminated. Drinking water helps in doing this and thus oils the wheels of weight loss so to speak. Anyway that is my understanding of it.
  • Qattusa
    Qattusa Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Several reasons - Water is a detoxifying and removes wastes from our body that we would otherwise be storing, such as lactic acid and urea as well as other wastes.

Also, water is used by the small intestine to create new red blood cells. The more hydrated they are, the more efficiently they work. Water is also used by the intestine to help digestion, so it helps us absorb nutrients better and moves food onwards through our system.

Lastly, if we are dehydrated, the core systems in our body such as the heart and brain, hold on to as much water as they can. By doing so, they inhibit the above processes, so our weight is increased beacause we have too much waste, the remainder of food that isn't moving through the intestines sufficiently as well as any water that the body will cling on to for dear life.

Hope that explains it a little! All the best!
  • wickedkitty
    wickedkitty Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Great question and very informative answers...I wondered the same thing.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i like proper posts like this. thanks for asking.
  • RoxanneShowell
    RoxanneShowell Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    That all makes sense. I am normally really good about drinking water during the day. But i recently changed jobs and am out of my old rhythm of drinking regularly. I know i am dehydrated at the moment as all the internal processes aren't working properly. No1 goal this week is to drink enough water!