Looking for Friends with Similar Goals! 80-100lbs to lose and chronic illness! Dysautonomia Edition

Options
Ganjasquirrel
Ganjasquirrel Posts: 3 Member
edited February 2022 in Introduce Yourself
Hello! My name is Emerald and I am not new to weight loss by any means, but have recently become chronically ill over the last two years and have re-gained a significant portion of my previously lost weight (I had lost about 95lbs around 2013). I now need to lose 80-100lbs after becoming sedentary and de-conditioned as well as allowing my diet to become poor as COVID restrictions became the norm. Due to my chronic illness I was forced to stop working two years ago and went from being active and on my feet all day to playing Skyrim until the wee hours of the morning. Well, I'm still as in love with Skyrim as ever, but I am ready to regain control over my health to the best of my ability. I am looking for other MFP members to become friends with who have similar challenges or goals, or just generally other members to cheer on and build a small online community of positivity with. I will also be getting a Garmin Venu SQ in the next week and would also like Garmin Connect friends in the future to complete challenges with! So, if you have physical disabilities/Chronic illness (I will list some of mine below and see if we face some of the same issues), have a significant portion of weight you need to lose (50+lbs) and would like a virtual buddy along the way, or just generally would like to make friends on MFP, please send me a friend request. I would be delighted!

I have a few pesky chronic conditions, but the most debilitating and the one that caused me to stop working was Dysautonomia, specifically POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) which is a condition where my autonomic nervous system is wonky and causes my heart rate to spike outrageously when I stand up, but my blood pressure to TANK and therefore I pass out. A lot. Every day, actually. I am doing a specific exercise program called The Levine/CHOP protocol to gradually build myself up to be able to workout standing up. Currently I have to exercise in a recumbent position at all time, or risk keeling over. I'd love to make friends with other people potentially following that protocol!

Other conditions we may have in common are Hpermobile Ehler's-Danlos Syndrome (hEDS), Gastroparesis, a Pituitary Adenoma, and Hypothyroidism.

I know that was a lot for an introduction, but I really do succeed better with friends in tow and others to cheer on and be motivated by. Great getting to know you, and hope to be friends soon!

Replies

• Hilogirl2018
    Hilogirl2018 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm responding late here but I also have EDS and POTS and need to lose 50 lbs. Also had to stop working as a result. I'd love to connect as MFP friends to encourage each other! I'm not currently exercising but would love to try.
  • MimiFries
    MimiFries Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am not it new to this app, but I am to the community. I have Charcot Marie Tooth Disease or CMT. No, it has nothing to do with my teeth. It is a neuromuscular disease. The nerves die and the muscles atrophy. And of course I walk like a drunk.😁 I use a cane to walk and I cannot walk very long. I also had a bilateral hip replacement in 2005 and 2006 for my bilateral hip dysplasia. And now they need to be redone. I am told one of them is turned in quite a bit so that it could crack my pelvis. I have been working on losing weight for a year now. I have lost 44 pounds but it is really hard to get off. I think not being able to work out may be part of it. I need to lose another 50 to 100 pounds. I try to stay positive as much as possible. Negativity does me no good. I know I’ve been working at this for a year, but I am planning on continuing.
  • bonniemcc4
    bonniemcc4 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hi Emerald. My name is Bonnie. I have hypermobility syndrome (not diagnosed with hEDS and haven’t been specifically evaluated for it yet), as well as a new diagnosis of arthritis.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    Hi, I'm Alexandra. I have ME/CFS and some arthritis in weightbearing joints from a car accident in my younger years. I recently had a massive goiter removed and am now on replacement thyroid hormone, aka, why I didn't lose weight in '21. Currently at 249 and looking to lose just about 100 lbs.

I do some yoga in bed because the tender points in my back won't let me lie on the floor.