Triglycerides

Options
nicoletaylor0207
nicoletaylor0207 Posts: 1 Member
edited February 2022 in Getting Started
Has anyone struggled with high triglycerides. I just got labs done and mine were quite high

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    yes...and it usually goes hand in hand with high LDL cholesterol as well. the best fix is regular exercise and losing weight if you're overweight. Regular cardiovascular exercise generally goes a long way in reducing one's triglycerides.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,360 Member
    Options
    Yes, triglycerides over 400 at one point. LDL cholesterol was also high, and blood pressure borderline to high.

Cardiovascular exercise can indeed help, but I was already active. Do you have excess body weight to lose? For me, weight loss was a major factor in improvement: Even a short time into weight loss, about 20 pounds down (still 35 or so pounds from goal), triglycerides had dropped into the normal range, along with LDL. (Raising HDL took a little longer, but not much.) I hit normal ranges for all in 2015, and they've stayed solidly normal since, without meds.

Depending on what you're eating, there are some dietary changes that can potentially contribute, too - it's generally all-round healthy eating, with adequate fiber, plenty of varied, colorful veggies/fruits, and healthy fats (from things like olive oil, fatty cold-water fish, nuts, avocados, seeds, etc.).
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to info from the mayo clinic you might find helpful. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/in-depth/triglycerides/art-20048186
    One thing that doesn’t get written about too much but that ultimately motivated me to quit drinking is that because of the way it is processed and because alcohol is high in sugar and calories it has a particularly bad effect on triglycerides. The health advice always shifts around, but it seems to me like triglycerides were being overlooked for a while but are actually very important.
  • annflaherty1
    annflaherty1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have hereditary high cholesterol and triglycerides. Since I started taking Praluent injections, every two weeks, my numbers are normal…for the first time in my life. Ask your dr about praluent.
    Good luck.