New to MFP

Options
Hello, I'm new to MFP but not new to dieting. I'm a 5'1 female almost 30 years old and over 200 pounds. I feel like I've struggled all my life not to gain weight and to lose what I had but never succeeded.

Yesterday I was told I have the beginning stages of arthritis in my back. I want to be a mom one day, I don't want to be a cripple. I need to lose this weight. I'm not sure how I'm going to do it this time but one small step at a time right?

I look forward to engaging in this journey with the rest of you.
- B

Replies

• lucyteamgreen
    lucyteamgreen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am also new here but have had a weight loss journey after my 2nd pregnancy years ago. I regained most of the weight in the past two years and now I am trying a more sustainable and long term way for weight loss and maintenance with MFP.

I feel you on the health issues, I have slipped discs in my back and I feel the more weight I carry around the harder my everyday life is so handle, it‘s just energy getting drained that I could use for life with my family and friends.

So yay for starting this journey, you can do it!

Feel free to add me everyone, let’s help each other!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I am going to give you some advice. I'm 67 with OA for many years. I manage it through diet and exercise.

You are 30 yrs old and it's just starting. I would suggest that you start a stretching and light yoga routine. Squats should be an integral part -- it will give you stability down the road. Start slow and work up. If you have access to a pool and don't know how to swim--learn. Water will be your friend in the future. Exercises and swimming in the pool take the weight off your joints and give you free movement. Never go too fast too soon.

Losing weight is crucial. Plug your stats into MFP, get your daily calorie goal and try to stay within it everyday. I eat what I like, I'm not on any particular diet. It doesn't matter if you want to try Keto, IF,.... whatever works for you, BUT choose something you are able to keep doing for a long time. You need to make new habits and stick with them.

I've managed to avoid hip surgery so far, and it's my activity level that makes all the difference. I wish you luck and hope you will take my advice seriously. It will change your future life.
  • Blessed1555
    Blessed1555 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am going to give you some advice. I'm 67 with OA for many years. I manage it through diet and exercise.

You are 30 yrs old and it's just starting. I would suggest that you start a stretching and light yoga routine. Squats should be an integral part -- it will give you stability down the road. Start slow and work up. If you have access to a pool and don't know how to swim--learn. Water will be your friend in the future. Exercises and swimming in the pool take the weight off your joints and give you free movement. Never go too fast too soon.

Losing weight is crucial. Plug your stats into MFP, get your daily calorie goal and try to stay within it everyday. I eat what I like, I'm not on any particular diet. It doesn't matter if you want to try Keto, IF,.... whatever works for you, BUT choose something you are able to keep doing for a long time. You need to make new habits and stick with them.

I've managed to avoid hip surgery so far, and it's my activity level that makes all the difference. I wish you luck and hope you will take my advice seriously. It will change your future life.

Thankyou very much. I will take it seriously. The mental battle is the most difficult part but its encouraging to hear others who took the same journey and succeeded.
  • bonniemcc4
    bonniemcc4 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I’m 33, just learned I have arthritis in my hips. I’ve always had a joint condition and one of the comorbidities of it is arthritis, but I’m still a little in shock and haven’t even told many people, even my family. I’m glad I started back logging my food and am making more progress with it before this diagnosis. I’ve had arthritis in one of my knees since I was 20ish though, but it hasn’t affected my life. I only found out about my hips due to an injury and subsequent pain.