Dress Sizes

Options
hypallage
hypallage Posts: 624 Member
I have just been going through some old clothes of mine (I mean clothes I had when I was a teenager & I am now in my thirties). I'm not sure whether to be happy that I can still get into most of them or slightly depressed that I was fat even then!

The other thing that has disturbed me slightly is the difference in dress sizes between now and then. I recently have gone down from a size 16 to a size 14, and indeed am beginning to find SOME of my size 14 clothes are quite loose. However, found a skirt today & tried it on - it only just fits. I looked at the label - size 16.....not happy.

I then looked up dress sizes for M&S (that is where this skirt comes from) The measurements given on this skirt are 3 inches smaller than a current size 16 on the waist and 2 inches smaller on the hips. Is this so called "vanity sizing" in action? Are we all supposed to be thicker in the waist now than we were as well?

Replies

• jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Yep, for sure the clothing retailers have added inches to their sizes. Stops the fat people moaning ;-p
  • jessilea53
    jessilea53 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Yep! I just read an article about it the other day. It was talking about Kirstie Alley being a size 4, but in reality she's a 8-10. He (Tim Gunn) says that most clothes are 2 1/2 inches bigger, but the same sizing.

I know, makes me sad!
  • sammyj321123
    Options
    it's stupid aint it, i can still fit in age 12-13 from when i was a teenager but i have noticed the sizes change all the time.
    i bought a uk size 8 jeans when i was 15 and bought same size a couple year ago in new look and the pair i bought at 15 fit perfect and the newer pair are huge on me, talk about try make us feel betther and lie
  • hperowl
    hperowl Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Sizing is also different in Misses than in Juniors and in Plus. So a size 16 in Plus will fit you differently than a 16 in Juniors. I love clothes but I hate with a passion shopping for them!
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    there is no rhyme or reason to it.

A few months ago I was at old navy. Now I'm between a 2 and a 4. Found two skirts I liked. Picked out a both sizes.

One skirt size 2 was baggy. Another, I couldn't even get it on over my butt. so weird.
  • suz74
    suz74 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    vanity sizing! M&S, Next and even the supermarket brands like Florence & Fred and TU have all been at it!
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    the more expensive the store, the smaller the size I wear.
    Walmart, I am an 18-20
    old navy, 18
    rietmans/penningtons, 16
    laura, tabi and some other boutiques, a perfect 14. they LIE to you so you will SPEND. jerks.
  • deb505
    Options
    I hate shopping for that reason, you can go to one store and a size 10 fits next store not so much. Sizes are worse than prices they fluxuate to much. If only we could afford our own designer, (keep dreaming).
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    So much of our clothing is made in other countries - there is NO standard for sizing (there used to be, when women didn't make their OWN clothing, and standard sizes came about in the 50's and 60's.)

Manufacturers will lie, cheat, and cut-throat to get you to buy their products.....so, of COURSE, they will make those sizes seem right in order that we'll buy.

As America fattens, it will just get worse. I got a Brylane Home catalogue recently - the CHAIRS and other furniture are wider and bigger, too..............

Welcome to FattyLand! lol.......................