2-3k deficit daily randomly gained 2kg

Options
andysport1
andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
edited February 2022 in Fitness and Exercise
I have a 2000-3000 cal deficit 6 days a week,
I cycle 1500-2000 kms a month, swim and hike.

I have randomly gained 2kgs
Very little has changed
I've had similar deficit for 2 years +
I don't eat any foods that I have intolerance too, I monitor my blood pressure, glucose, oxygen and hydration daily.
I take electrolytes daily, all my vitimans and minerals were spot on 2 weeks ago at my monthly check up

Any suggestions ?
The only thing that has changed is 3 weeks ago,
The intensity that I cycle has dropped, now 75%hr rather than 85%
I reduced my salt tablets from 1.8g to 1g

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Something very badly wrong with your numbers.
    Making your diary public what help enormously.

What was your weight loss in that 2+ years?
    What was your weight doing in recent weeks before that 2kg gain?
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,352 Member
    Options
    I'm going to guess they mean a 2000-3000kcal intake, not deficit?
  • andysport1
    Options
    Redordeadhead, no typo
    Sijomial, I don't log my food, my weight has been stable for a couple of years, I pop a couple of pounds on at Christmas but it comes back off in a week or so when I'm back on the bike.
    Lietchi, according to Strava I burn 2-4000 calories a day on the bike
    My food intake this morning 6 hours.
    Oats 50g, oat milk 50g, honey 15g, a banana, satsuma and an apple.
    Saturday is the day I ride the least 1600 calories, yesterday was 2500 from cycling + 9k hike (maybe 600)
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,352 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what 2000-3000 kcal deficit you're talking about then. If your weight has been stable for years, then you certainly weren't in a calorie deficit, stable weight per definition means you're eating at maintenance.

If those 2kgs arrived suddenly, it's most likely a soft in water weight. Those salt tablets that you decreased, was that before or after those 2kgs?
    If those 2kgs arrived more gradually, then it's more likely to be fat gain, because you're somehow burning less calories or consuming more or a combination of both.
  • ciaoder
    ciaoder Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Strava is a pretty good mapping app but really not very useful as a fitness app.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    andysport1 wrote: »
    Redordeadhead, no typo
    Sijomial, I don't log my food, my weight has been stable for a couple of years, I pop a couple of pounds on at Christmas but it comes back off in a week or so when I'm back on the bike.
    Lietchi, according to Strava I burn 2-4000 calories a day on the bike
    My food intake this morning 6 hours.
    Oats 50g, oat milk 50g, honey 15g, a banana, satsuma and an apple.
    Saturday is the day I ride the least 1600 calories, yesterday was 2500 from cycling + 9k hike (maybe 600)

As others have said, this doesn't make sense. You can't be in a significant deficit for 2 years and maintain weight. Do you mean you consume 2000-3000 calories? Not that your deficit is -2000-3000.
  • andysport1
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    If you are maintaining weight long term then you aren't in a sustained calorie deficit.
    You probably remember from school "energy can neither be created or destroyed.......".

No weight loss = no deficit.
    No food logging so intake unknown but I bet with how much you are exercising you are eating far more than you believe.
    Sorry, no confidence in your Strava estimates at all. The numbers even with so little context simply don't add up.

"according to Strava I burn 2-4000 calories a day on the bike" - quoting estimates with no time/distance/speed doesn't help in the slightest.
    Maybe post a Strava link to a typical ride?
    Are you a pro rider or just recreational?

I tend to burn very roughly 500 - 600cals an hour while cycling, accurate numbers from a power meter. Any idea of your actual average power output for a known duration?

In reality if you aren't tracking calories and you want to lose some weight then eat a bit less is all that can be suggested, there doesn't seem to be much leeway for the other side of the equation (more a bit more).

I don't use power anymore only HR.
    Example I only ride easy now (normally I'm on the front)
    62kms 851metres climbing, 137w, 2500 Cal's, 24kmph
    70kms, 1014metres climb, 155w, 2600 Cal's,
    23.5kmph

Im not trying to lose weight, I use my scales because they tell me my bodies water content, just couldn't workout where the 2kg came from (it was in 24hours)
    It's actually come back off now, I'm thinking it must have been something to do with my salt tablets (I altered them 3 weeks ago)