Stitch/side cramp whilst running

Options
I've just been out for my run and about half way through I got a stitch/side cramp which I just could not shift. It meant I ended up cutting short an otherwise enjoyable run. I was wondering what caused them eg dehydration, incorrect breathing technique and also if anyone knows how to get rid of them?

Replies

• nirvana1
    Options
    There are lots of reasons for stiches and cramps, your right in saying dehydration but actually having too much water before you go for your run can cause it (that one happens to me a lot!) You must only sip water before and during. Also you must try to leave it an hour after eating before going for a run.
    These are my two main reasons I get a stitch anyway.
  • irongirl73
    irongirl73 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I don't know the exact cause of them, but I always get them when I start back to running. While running, to get rid of them, I try to switch my breathing. When you run, you typically breathe in when one leg is going forward. For me, I breathe in when my right leg goes forward. So when I get a stitch, I force myself to breathe when my left leg goes forward and do this until the stitch goes away. I know it sounds stupid, but it works every time. My sister-in-law taught me this! Try it and you may not have to cut your run short! ;)