Protein Fluff

ahoy_m8
ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,048 Member
edited February 2022 in Food and Nutrition
Protein fluff and I have not always had an easy time. I think my basic obstacle is I haven't just loved any of the protein powders I've used, although I've had my struggle with consistency as well. I've just had an accidental protein fluff breakthrough.

The last 2 weeks my regular store hasn't had my regular plain Greek yogurt. Instead I bought the only plain yogurt they had (Aldi Friendly Farms plain light yogurt). Looking to boost the protein content up to something closer to the Greek yogurt, I added some Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard whey vanilla. It looked sad so I grabbed my whisk wand and gave it a whip. It was the best fluff I ever made. I don't know if this yogurt product has xanthan gum (texture seems like it), but I know the ON does, and I did not add any. The ON also has sweetener so no additional was needed.

The concoction with more fruit/less protein powder tasted better to me. Both whipped to a beautiful light fluff consistency.
100g yogurt + 20g ONGS + 70g frozen banana
100g yogurt + 10g ONGS + 100g frozen strawberries

I'm posting (1) in case anyone similarly protein fluff challenged is curious to give it another try, and (2) to see if anyone has any other tips/tricks/products that make the protein fluff taste good to you. I'm more willing to experiment again. TIA

Replies

• I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 179 Member
    I've been pretty content mixing plain non-fat yogurt with whey powder and other things for years, but recently sprang for a good sale on plain, non-fat greek, serving 19g protein at only 100 calories. It's very thick, so mixing whey is a chore, but I took a flyer making a "mousse" with a can of kippered smoked herring (18g protein at 140 cal) as a poor man's lox and bagels with a lot less fat and more protein than cream cheese. I'll be playing with oysters, mussels, anchovies and even some real lox, with diced peppers, celery, chive, whatever.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,048 Member
    Good luck with your experiment. FWIW, I often use plain Greek yogurt in place of sour cream in recipes. Greek yogurt is something I normally have on hand, whereas sour cream is not. My family cannot tell the difference. :D
  • I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 179 Member
    edited February 2022
    I've been thinking how the greek might do well with curries, baked potato, etc. As to regular + whey, I mix with all sorts of fresh and frozen fruit. but also raisins, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, unsalted peanuts or other - and a used tub with any of the above plus (uncooked) oats refrigerated as "overnight oats" is a nice grab and go on mornings with no time to dawdle.