Suggestions on curbing hunger?

Options
2»

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Try starting to eat later in the day. I'm usually not hungry in the mornings so I can push eating off until lunchtime, or just eat breakfast a little later, and that helps free up more calories for dinner time when I really want to eat. Or maybe try drinking an herbal tea or some coffee instead of eating. That works for me when I just want something but I'm not really hungry. or maybe you just simply need to eat more. 1200 is way too low for most people, but given your height it might be appropriate.
  • sharilittle
    sharilittle Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have same problem with hunger, trying to lose a little weight but I also do martial arts 4 times a week. I can’t eat before classes and late dinner means I’m going too long without food making me binge! Recently flipped my meals around and now have a big meal at lunchtime then a late afternoon snack, then lighter meal (lunch) after martial arts class. Have stopped being so hungry and have more energy at class too. Might be worth playing around with your meal times.
  • ditzyFlip
    ditzyFlip Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions! Please keep 'em coming, I think this is very helpful for everyone.
  • Bridgie3
    Bridgie3 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    ditzyFlip wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

My calorie goal is 1200, and my goal weight is back to 128lb. I'm 31yo, currently at 140lb, 5'0", and eating way over my calories.

I know I'm over eating, especially towards the night. And I'm looking to find other ways to curb my appetite. Water isn't cutting it, even though it helps a little.

I do taekwondo three times a week.

I also have spent my life struggling with hunger, as in miserable, constant hunger. In recent times I have discovered high fat, low carb. Not high fat as in eat all the fat - but high fat as in within your calorie count, choose full fat foods. Eat things how nature put them together. So no, not margarine or canola oil or any of that, but yes, butter, lard, tallow, olive oil.

I personally have found that having my macros around 10-20-70 carb-protein-fat has made the most incredible difference to my hunger. Which is, that I don't have any. Well, now and again my stomach seems to rub together but it's very seldom, and I just eat something like a tin of sardines.

It was hard getting over the carb hump; I love milk, I love fruit, I love bread and toast and such. But for the purposes of resetting my insulin response, lowering my blood sugar, helping myself out of type 2 diabetes, I am putting that to one side.

I have never felt less hungry than I do now, I think (or not) about food, as I like. I don't have raging cravings, nor do I eat everything in the house at night like I used to. I don't reach for chocolate, I don't feel hard done by.

So if you are having problems of hunger, maybe you would like to give this a try. It's a bit like taking a leap off a cliff because it goes against everything we were ever taught; but it IS lowering my cholesterol, and it IS lowering my sugars.

I would like to recommend Dr Sten Ekberg on youtube, he gives a reasonable biochemical breakdown of how your body works, and I enjoy the kind of science magazine level of teaching. I tend to back that up with scholarly articles (there are so many on line, but they're boring and hard to read) to make sure I'm not just swallowing pseudoscience.

I don't know how to open my diary on here. If you can let me know how I will go ahead and do that?
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    @kshama2001 gave really good advice. Set your goal to 0.5lb/week. Eat back exercise calories.

Tweaking meal timing and macros may or may not help your hunger situation. Picking an appropriate rate of loss that is sustainable for you will have the biggest impact. And getting enough sleep. Good luck, OP.
  • dechowj
    dechowj Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I would adjust meal times to later so you can still be full from dinner later at night. Or eating 5 smaller meals instead of 3 large ones a day.
    I drink different flavored teas when I'm hungry and really wanting something yummy. Green Chai, lemon lift, vanilla caramel, and toasted coconut are my favorites right now.
    You could also try chewing on a strong flavored gum. Sometimes just chewing for a while makes me feel less hungry. Other times the strong mint flavor just makes me not want other snacks because their flavor will be ruined, lol.
    Try having a lower cal snack when you just HAVE to have something to eat. Air popped popcorn, watermelon chunks, rice cakes, veggies dipped in low fat ranch.

I'm 32yo 5' 0.5" tall and also have a 1200 calorie goal. The first month of trying this goal was really hard for me. But then it got easier the longer I stuck with it. Hang in there.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 (and a little bit) and, when I initially set myself up on MFP, I got allocated 1200 cals. It didn't matter what rate of loss I selected, I got 1200. When I selected 'Maintain', MFP calculated that, at my weight at that time, I needed 1450 cals. Choosing to lose at 0.5lb a week takes off a 250 cal deficit, ergo 1200 cals to eat.

In my case, as I lost weight, my deficit got smaller and smaller. Logging has to be very accurate and there's not much room for getting hungry and wanting to eat more. My rate of loss would have been really really really slow if it wasn't for the fact that, although sedentary at work, I went to the gym 5 times a week and earned myself more calories to play with. Once I reached my target weight, my maintenance got calculated at 1340.

Given that the OP only needs to lose 12lb and is only 5', it's perfectly feasible that MFP is calculating to 1200, no matter what rate of loss is selected. However, it's not a lot of calories to get a balanced diet with and definitely doesn't allow for much in the way of treats, snacks or glasses of wine.

OP, as said above, everyone has differences when it comes to how best to feel satiated and therefore curb hunger. Personally, I make sure I eat at least the minimum recommended amount of protein (I'm usually over) and I bulk out my lunch / dinner with lots of veg. A large amount of sauted white cabbage is about the same cals as three baby potatoes, but the pile of cabbage will definitely make me feel fuller so I have that in place of potatoes, rice or pasta with many meals. Some people can happily set aside enough cals for a square of dark chocolate in the evening. I could set aside the cals, but I wouldn't only eat one square! To specifically answer your question, I can only suggest that you play around with some of the suggestions above to find out what works for you.

However, assuming you're either not exercising or are eating back your exercise calories and the 1200 that you're consuming is your net figure per day, I also suggest two other things.
    Firstly, temporarily change your set-up to 'maintain' to see what MFP thinks your maintenance number is. Anything below that will see you losing weight, albeit probably slowly. At least you'd have an upper figure to bear in mind.
    Secondly, see if you can increase your activity so that you get more calories to eat. That may allow you to build in an evening snack or you may find that the increased meal sizes is sufficient to keep you feeling fuller.
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Two quick thoughts - a bunch of people have been suggesting psylium fiber drinks and foods and I concur. I personally don’t love the taste or texture of the drinks and don’t want to bother with cooking special snacks (I am not a baker) so I love either chia pudding which is super easy and seems like you are eating a dessert, or metamucil makes biscuits which come in packages of 2, so if you can get over the excessive packaging and processed food issues (which I generally don’t like, but live with in this case) they are great either if you aren’t a breakfast person for breakfast, or as a snack or an evening something with tea.

Second …. What time do you go to sleep? If you are sleeping you aren’t eating. (Usually!). Not advocating for the ridiculous in terms of bedtime, but having adequate sleep also helps you lose weight because we overeat when we are tired.
  • KDough789
    KDough789 Posts: 6 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Hey,we have the same starting stats.. friend me if you'd like. Just wanted to pop in to say as a a woman your same height, I was able to successfully lose on 1500. It wasn't fast, but it did work. I still struggled on some days with hunger, and I think there will be a little bit of that, but it wasn't real bad. Unlike now, when I'm trying to do 1300, and I end up binging. I the only thing I changed was trying to cut down on cookies and sugar snacks. Those were sort of... empty calories, and not too filling for me. So my advice, especially at 140, is that 1500 is fine and should help you out a bit regarding hunger, but also one small change can free up calories to potentially go toward more fulfilling meals. For me, that was cookies. For others, that might be soda. And then figuring out what fills you up.
    For details, I believe I ate at 1500 until I hit about 130 or 127. After that I started decreasing calories, but have not been able to be successful yet consistently. I got down to 122 or 123 and am back up to 128 right now. I am happy at both weights. I noticed the biggest changes between 135 and 128, though, so keep at it. Sorry I can't give more concrete tips.just wanted to let you know you can still lose at 1500. Granted, every body is different, so I'm not sure if it will work for you, but it might help. Also, I'd like another mfp friend, lol.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    1200 calories seems pretty aggressive for someone who only wants to lose about 12 Lbs.

Why? She is a small person. I weigh 20 lbs more than her and my goal to lose 1/2 lb a week is 1200 also.

My wife is a small person as well...she loses about 1 Lb per week on 1800 calories. She exercises regularly, but nothing crazy...basically a 3 mile run 4-5 days per week and one session in the weight room on Friday and we walk together with the dog most days. She has a desk job and is 47 yo. She is 2 inches taller, but I find it hard to believe that 2 inches is a difference of 400 calories.

I'd wager most people would be pretty hungry on 1200 calories...and that they should probably be more active and increase their NEAT and TDEE if that is all they can eat unless they're pretty dang old.