Diabetics Unite

Options
This is a group for diabetics to receive and give support to one another. To help manage your Diabetes.

Replies

• pollyjo1949
    pollyjo1949 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am new here , but I have been a diabetic for 15 years. To manage your diabetes it is all about changing your habits which does not habit over night. Change in your health will come when you change your daily habits. yo5xiqf15gpb.jpg
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,827 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Diagnosed T2D in late February with an A1C of 9.2.
    Was put on 800mg Metformin. And, with the help of SparkPeople and now MFP AND my NuStep, I got that down to 5.7 by the beginning of this month. With a weight loss of 25 lbs between those two A1C results, and about 60 more pounds to go.

It helped greatly that for a decade I have been managing my husband’s diabetes (caused by Agent Orange exposure). So I already knew all the important stuff, and had been exercising some and watching my diet - just not as much as I am now.
  • 2016goalreached
    2016goalreached Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed T1D in September 2016 at 35 years old with an A1C of 12.3. No wonder I thought I was dying - like literally. After about 6 months of insulin injections and at least 4 times/day monitoring, I was approved for an insulin pump and have been on it ever since. I have really struggled with being consistent in managing my diabetes - very up and down. More NOT managing well than managing well, and that HAS to change. My fasting was 146 this morning - down from 200-something on Sunday. This week, I'm working to get it down to 100 fasting. Do you guys have a daily carb goal to stay under? How do you feel about beans and vegetables, which are good for you, but high in carbs, nonetheless? Nice to meet you, and I'm looking forward to supporting each other!
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options
    Do you guys have a daily carb goal to stay under?

Honestly? I have a daily carb goal that I have a big problem meeting
    I realize that’s not typical.

And yes. We adore beans here. And corn.
    I’ve been managing my husband’s diabetes for over a decade now and those are two favorites.
  • 2016goalreached
    2016goalreached Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have a daily carb goal that I have a big problem meeting

Do you mean you eat fewer carbs than you intend? What is one of your favorite meals? Last night, I made a veggie casserole, and even that had like 45 net carbs per serving, which seems high to me.

• MargaretYakoda
    edited June 2021
    Options
    I have a daily carb goal that I have a big problem meeting

Do you mean you eat fewer carbs than you intend? What is one of your favorite meals? Last night, I made a veggie casserole, and even that had like 45 net carbs per serving, which seems high to me.

I mean that it has always taken me absolutely forever to eat. And I don’t always think about eating.
    I am autistic with ADHD, so that does play into it. Before the diabetes diagnosis it would not be uncommon for me to have a small breakfast, and then get into some project and not eat again until dinner.
    And sometimes I can take two or more hours to finish dinner…
    I don’t get hungry until I’m absolutely starving and can’t think.

It’s a real problem. Protein shakes have been a necessary addition since the diagnosis.
  • brucejei
    brucejei Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hello, I was diagnosed with type II diabetes. I’ve recently had trouble managing it. Looking for motivation. Feel free to add me.