HRM

Options
I am hearing about HRM and how accurate they are but I have a question that is getting lost in a thread and am very curious the answer. Do you find that your HRM is dramatically different from the calorie number it says you burn on machines at the gym with built-in HRM's?

Replies

• kassied09
    Options
    Also...How much do these things run for (at walmart?) Do the cheaper ones work as well? Pluses and downfalls of buying one? Do they count steps walked as well?

Sorry, this is the first I am hearing about them and I am so curious!
  • vojtko68
    vojtko68 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes. I don't exercise without mine. The machines are over exaggerated.

You want one that has a heart strap and is constantly monitoring your hr. I have a Garmin FR610. Don't cheap out on these. There are good starter ones, that do have foot pod and heart strap, but you can expect to pay $150+. Check out amazon or a local running store.
  • kassied09
    Options
    Yes. I don't exercise without mine. The machines are over exaggerated.

You want one that has a heart strap and is constantly monitoring your hr. I have a Garmin FR610. Don't cheap out on these. There are good starter ones, that do have foot pod and heart strap, but you can expect to pay $150+. Check out amazon or a local running store.

Oh wow. Seeing how much they are really makes me rethink them. I was thinking $30 was about as high as I would go, seeing as I am in school and a bit strapped for cash. Thanks for the input but I may stick with the machines =\
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Check ebay. I got a brand new still in the box Polar FT4 for $49.99 and free shipping. Polar seems to be (or use to I haven't been on in awhile) one of the most popular on here.
  • aprilhelmreich
    aprilhelmreich Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I got mine on amazon.com for $30. Its a basic one but it calculates my calories burned which is what I wanted it for! Mine is a PLYO I believe
  • Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Check ebay. I got a brand new still in the box Polar FT4 for $49.99 and free shipping. Polar seems to be (or use to I haven't been on in awhile) one of the most popular on here.
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say this. If you do end up purchasing one on ebay watch the transmitters if you are not buying used.

This kind:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B0015RWZQ4/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_0?ie=UTF8&index=0

is the first one I had with my polar F7 and you cannot change the batteries yourself. It has to be send away. This may just be an older style now but just wanted you to be aware.

This is the kind I have now and you can easily change the batteries.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B004HM0H14/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=3375251&s=sporting-goods