Be Healthy

Options
Ok so my doctor says I'm diabetic and have high blood pressure. It seems every time I go to the doctor he prescribes me with another pill. I can't even keep up. I looked up the side affects and really? One was making me cough all the time. Another pill, I couldn't even get out of bed I was so tired and my muscles cramped. I'm done with these pills. I quit drinking alcohol a week ago and smoking 3 months ago. My weight right now is 202, blood pressure 155/105, fasting sugar 186. Let's see if I can get healthier with out the dang pills.

Replies

• akinzel
    akinzel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What medication was making you cough all of the time? Was it a blood pressure med? Good luck with everything and hope you get it figured out!
  • justanotherloser007
    Options
    You can at least get a little healthier without pills depending on your health picture I have a recommend. Potassium (don't bother with chloride because they cap at 99mg which is 3% of daily nutrition) and magnesium. I had a lot of cramping with walking, and these two helped immensely. There are so many recipes for a lower carb, lower sugar lifestyle - but from what my hubby went through, walking was incredibly important! He was able to put off taking diabetes medication for around 15 years by less carbs and walking. That is 15 years of no pill side effects!!!!
  • danae16
    danae16 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My husband ended up with medication induced asthma due to blood pressure medications. Until you have your diet and lifestyle habits solidified, I would ask to try a different blood pressure medication. There are a ton of options. I think you can work with your doctor to get a plan to get off the medications! If he won't work with you, can you find one that will?
  • mirianyusm
    mirianyusm Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    All of the above. If your high blood pressure makes you cough, you have to talk to your doctor. He will recommend something different until you get the right medication for you. As somebody else said, do not quit your medication without the advise of your doctor. Best of lucks. You can do it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Ok so my doctor says I'm diabetic and have high blood pressure. It seems every time I go to the doctor he prescribes me with another pill. I can't even keep up. I looked up the side affects and really? One was making me cough all the time. Another pill, I couldn't even get out of bed I was so tired and my muscles cramped. I'm done with these pills. I quit drinking alcohol a week ago and smoking 3 months ago. My weight right now is 202, blood pressure 155/105, fasting sugar 186. Let's see if I can get healthier with out the dang pills.

You shouldn't just up and stop a medication without consulting with your Dr. Also, if a certain medication is causing serious side effects, the solution is to also talk with your Dr. and getting on something else, not just ditching the medicine altogether. Medications are often necessary at least for an interim period while you make other life improvements. Sometimes those life improvements can get you off the meds...sometimes they can't...sometimes it can lower the dosage or number of meds you take, etc.

For example, I'm hypertensive and it is primarily hereditary. Despite a good diet, healthy weight, and regular exercise I still need meds to keep things in check and it is well controlled as long as I'm doing all of the above...including taking my meds.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!