Question about wearable step counters.

Options
Is there a step counter that you can wear that adds steps to My Fitness Pal, or do they all just adjust calorie count. My wife bought a Garmin Vivofit 4 and when we connected it to My Fitness Pal, it will only sync up the calories, it doesn't add any steps. When we tried to make it her primary step counter, it kept giving us an error message saying that it can't connect to the server. She wants credit for all of her steps, when she's not carrying her phone.

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Usually Garmin sends over step count as well as the calorie adjustment. It does for me anyway (Vivoactive 4). Might be a glitch?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Just FYI she is getting credit for steps because those steps move her a distance, that distance and time and weight give very good calculation for calorie burn that Garmin includes in the daily burn.

That daily burn figure is sent to MFP.

If it's higher than what MFP estimated she'd burn at her selected activity level - extra calories.
    Therefore credit for the steps.

Steps is merely a figure like glasses of water - displayed but no math done with it.

Oh yeah extra - close any MFP app she's logged in to.
    Log into web account, find option under Settings for Step Source and make Garmin that option.
    If she's getting calorie adjustment that setting is already correct at one level, but could always change it to nothing, save out. go back and set to Garmin again.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I don't understand what sort of credit you think steps earn, if not in the form of calories? I can't seem to figure out how to ask that without sounding snarky, but I am genuinely confused and curious.