UK GP weight loss resources? any in your area?

Options
2»

Replies

• whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Dan, i would make an appointment to see the practice nurse at your surgery, they may be able to give you more support than the doctor and if you ask them they may look into setting up a weight loss group at the surgery, it may not be the full works with a dietician but if enough people are interested they may look at bringing one into the surgery or providing additional training for one of the nurses to assist in this, i know this is what happened at my mums local surgery and we are talking 20 years ago here, don't give up with them even if its a case of just making an appointment once a month to get your weight, measurements and blood pressure taken that has to be better than nothing, don't forget to put a suggestion for the group into the suggestion box as well, and see if they will give you a gp referal for the local gym.

keep up the good work
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I just googled NHS Dieticians, and rang them, and got an appointment a week later. Had 4 visits in total, all free. It didn't do me much good though, as all they said was what i'd already found out myself by research.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Agreed IronSmasher, Trix what your talking about would be discrimination if they sub divided the country into area's, think about it. I can assure you what I can get here and my mother in Newcastle, can be done nation wide. It would be illegal otherwise.

You've never heard the phrase 'postcode lottery'?

What Trix describes is exactly how the NHS works, and it will only get worse with creeping privatisation.

I would imagine weightloss services are better in Newcastle because the area was fairly recently identified as having one of the highest rates of obesity in the country. I know in my area there are some services available - if you're on income support, you get help with gym costs, for instance - but certainly no WW subscriptions or similar.

When I started losing weight, I was massive - at risk of all sorts of stuff. My GP was supportive, but really all he had available to offer me was sessions with the practice nurse (I didn't much like that service - just weighing in really, with no real additional advice) and we discussed orlistat, tried it for a week and gave up for obvious reasons.
  • jcb110
    Options
    My GP was quite supportive.

Don't knock Xenical - it forces you to reassess your diet to reduce fat intake (if you don't then things get ugly).
    It worked for me in the initial stages of my dieting 18 months ago and I lost a lot of weight - but once you have made diet changes it becomes less effective, cos you're eating less fat.

My weight loss levelled out after about 9 months with a 25kg loss and I've been stuck at 100-105kg for 6 months so I've joined here to try to kick-start things. I won't be asking my GP for more Xenical since my diet is now low fat anyway.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    My GP was quite supportive.

Don't knock Xenical - it forces you to reassess your diet to reduce fat intake (if you don't then things get ugly).
    It worked for me in the initial stages of my dieting 18 months ago and I lost a lot of weight - but once you have made diet changes it becomes less effective, cos you're eating less fat.

My weight loss levelled out after about 9 months with a 25kg loss and I've been stuck at 100-105kg for 6 months so I've joined here to try to kick-start things. I won't be asking my GP for more Xenical since my diet is now low fat anyway.

I can't say this was my experience. I'm a vegetarian. My proteins are all lean, and I eat minimal fat when I'm eating healthy. Despite this, and despite not eating any food I'd regard as 'unhealthy' when on it, I had the nastiest possible side effects. It was just hideous. I don't think I even made it a week.
  • somo50
    somo50 Posts: 10
    Options
    NemesisJRM wrote: »
    Dude I'm in the UK up in Scotland, My Mother is in Newcastle, the GP is talking through his hole. If they feel you are going to loose weight from it they can refer you to weight watchers 3 months paid at a time and you have to weigh in to prove your loosing, but as long as you do they keep paying your subscription. Once you stop loosing or gaining, they stop paying.

This is on the NHS and mum is already getting it just now, so I know its true >8-)

Hope this helps you bud, personally I'd go back and get them told to sort it out for you.
    NemesisJRM wrote: »
    Dude I'm in the UK up in Scotland, My Mother is in Newcastle, the GP is talking through his hole. If they feel you are going to loose weight from it they can refer you to weight watchers 3 months paid at a time and you have to weigh in to prove your loosing, but as long as you do they keep paying your subscription. Once you stop loosing or gaining, they stop paying.

This is on the NHS and mum is already getting it just now, so I know its true >8-)

Hope this helps you bud, personally I'd go back and get them told to sort it out for you.

Isn't it awful how in one area you can get something and in the next area you can't, I'm in or folk uk. I'm on a programme for to help me adjust my eating habbits towards surgery. It hasn't been an easy path, it's not an easy option, you have to prove you have thought it all through and willing to adjust
  • somo50
    somo50 Posts: 10
    Options
    meerkat70 wrote: »
    Agreed IronSmasher, Trix what your talking about would be discrimination if they sub divided the country into area's, think about it. I can assure you what I can get here and my mother in Newcastle, can be done nation wide. It would be illegal otherwise.

You've never heard the phrase 'postcode lottery'?

What Trix describes is exactly how the NHS works, and it will only get worse with creeping privatisation.

I would imagine weightloss services are better in Newcastle because the area was fairly recently identified as having one of the highest rates of obesity in the country. I know in my area there are some services available - if you're on income support, you get help with gym costs, for instance - but certainly no WW subscriptions or similar.

When I started losing weight, I was massive - at risk of all sorts of stuff. My GP was supportive, but really all he had available to offer me was sessions with the practice nurse (I didn't much like that service - just weighing in really, with no real additional advice) and we discussed orlistat, tried it for a week and gave up for obvious reasons.

Hi, can I ask how much weight you have lost. I been asking for help for years especially as I am unable to o much exercise due. To disability and mobility issues.