Keto- how long does it take for ketones to show up in urine?

Options
Hiya!
I've been eating keto (around 20- 30 carbs) for about two weeks now, although slipped up on Sunday so am counting it as starting fresh again since monday. I am using ketostix to test my urine however I am still not detecting any ketones in my urine and its really frustrating me! How long does it take to show ketones in my urine? I don't know whether I am being impatient or whether I am slipping up somehow!
Tagged:

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I'm not keto, but from what I know, typically 1-2 weeks as you enter ketosis. However, once keto adapted, the strips may not be as accurate because when adapted, ketones are pretty much fully metabolized and don't show up in urine. My understanding is also that testing should be done first thing in the morning or several hours after a meal for most accurate results.

One other possibility could be protein. Are you doing high fat or are you eating high protein. A high protein diet can keep you out of ketosis despite very low carbs as protein can be converted to glucose, where fat cannot.
  • bjk1047
    bjk1047 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Drink a lot of fluids! Been doing Keto for about 2 weeks and the strips I use are showing I'm in Ketosis. I test twice a day since I got 100 strips for just $10, plus the strips need to be used within a certain amount of time once you open the bottle. Before testing I drink about 2 glasses of water before bed and take test #1 the first thing when I have to go, even if it's at 3 am. Then I take the 2nd test about 6 pm after drinking 1 cup of water, before or after dinner.
  • Carni8991
    Carni8991 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Not everyone can achieve ketosis at 30 grams of carbs. I have to stay under 10 to remain in ketosis.
  • strgzrlily
    strgzrlily Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It takes me three days to reach ketosis. You must be strict and remember to eat fat!
  • 042kristy
    042kristy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yeah it takes about 3 days your made need to have a look at what your eating. Hidden cards are everywhere, plus 30g is pretty high unless your active
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    strgzrlily wrote: »
    It takes me three days to reach ketosis. You must be strict and remember to eat fat!

Not really - ketosis is reached by restricting carbs, it has nothing to do with your fat intake, esp. if you are trying to lose weight - the body will use your on-board stores to get the fat that it needs for energy.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    strgzrlily wrote: »

Not really - ketosis is reached by restricting carbs, it has nothing to do with your fat intake, esp. if you are trying to lose weight - the body will use your on-board stores to get the fat that it needs for energy.

Very true. Yeah, high fat to be in ketosis is a myth but at the same time in order to meet a desired caloric intake, fat fills that need. Also, protein delivers all the glucose the body needs through the process of gluconeogenesis but too much protein can interfere or disrupt the ketogenic process. Fat is a vital energy source for people in ketosis and while recently it's used for weight loss and where reduced fat intake is ok but if your maintaining weight fat is going to be needed moreso. Basically, people in ketosis will need to embrace dietary fat. Cheers.