Products with allulose

Options
CatMom8
CatMom8 Posts: 6 Member
edited April 2021 in Food and Nutrition
I'm trying to pinpoint an issue I'm having with some of the "keto-friendly" foods I've tried, like Catalina Crunch cookies and low-carb cereals. I purchased some Magic Spoon. I have to be really careful. IDK if it's the indigestible fibers, the dairy proteins, which I have to watch, or the allulose that is causing digestive issues. I stopped eating them altogether and the problem went away. What is your experience? BTW, I can't tolerate even a tiny bit of maltitol. TIA.

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Some people have trouble digesting sugar alcohols. I'm guessing allulose is one? Like maltitol or sucralose?
  • Irishangel1217
    Irishangel1217 Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Allulose is a monosaccharide. It has 90% fewer calories than sucrose, which makes it virtually calorie-free.
    “What's interesting is that it's not metabolized by the body. It's absorbed by the small intestine, but then actually excreted. So none of the calories get absorbed or stored in your body,” DiMarino says. “With the limited research that's been done, it's been found that [allulose] doesn't have effects on blood sugars or an insulin response.” that was from Webmd..

more info here:
    https://allulose.org/allulose-info/about-allulose/

BUT a better article,written by a Dr who has used allulose for several years is here:

https://peterattiamd.com/replacing-sugar-with-allulose/

I'd like to see allulose carbs subtracted from a recipe I add, but it doesn't.. UNTIL myfitnesspal recognizes it has no effect on blood sugar, I leave it "off" the recipes I add for nutritional info.
    I cured myself of diabetes eating low carb and dramatically increasing my fiber intake
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, one has to experiment. I know that if a product has lactose, I need to take lactase. I know that stevia wipes out my lactobacillus and I will have months of misery afterwards. I know that my spouse will be very unhappy if a product has sugar alcohols (IBS). Everyone is different.

Re: allulose. I'm not sure if I had it before, but I just purchased a bag to try in baking, so my fingers are crossed that it will go well for both of us.

I hope you can pinpoint the cause of your troubles with these products and find alternatives that work. Good luck!
  • GigiAgape1981
    GigiAgape1981 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    For me both fiber, specifically soluble corn/tapioca (aka digestion resistant maltodextrin), inulin and sweeteners like allulose and erythritol cause bad digestive consequences.
  • Bridgie3
    Bridgie3 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have a darling boyfriend who brings me gifts. He is diabetic type 2, as am I.

And I'm constantly weirded out by his search for low carb carbs. He could bring me a cheese. he could bring me 72% chocolate. But he brings low carb carbs.

Carb free carbs. Sugar free sugar.

It's really weirding me out. I find it far easier to pretend there is no such thing as bread, and just have cheese wrapped in salami if I have to wrap it in anything. Or steak and salad, rather than attempt rice made of cauliflower.

Just... remove that food group for now. Why go through all that disappointment of some nasty soy or almond milk latte. Just don't drink lattes more than my carb allowance will permit and call it a day.

A friend was trying to teach me how to keto-ify french toast with maple syrup, fried bananas and bacon. Keto bread (aka wall insulation), sugar free maple syrup, and blueberries instead of fried bananas.

Why not, instead of mutilating real food, just eat the real food, but seldom.

Once a month maybe.

Sorry for turning your sweet and innocent OP into an opportunity to rant but - carb free cereal?

What about omelet, or scrambled eggs and bacon, or greek yoghurt and blueberries? Carb free cereal is despair in a box. It just makes me want to cry. Especially seeing as I love milk and milk ain't carb free either.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,019 Member
    Options
    OP said low carb cereal, not no carb.
  • Bridgie3
    Bridgie3 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    OP said low carb cereal, not no carb.

low carb cereal is an oxymoron. Cereal is 100% carb. That's what cereal is.

I guess what I was foolshly perhaps trying to say, was that drop the whole thing and turn the attention elsewhere, because then when one goes back off low carb, one has changed the way one eats.

If we just look around for chemical versions of what we usually eat, then when we go off the diet we go straight back to how we were.

It's kind of a crutch. Instead of eating fewer cookies, we're eating as many cookies, but they're just full of strange chemicals now instead of natural carbs.

Ooh - Ossa da modere made with almond meal. That would be a great low carb cookie, but it's low carb because it's a kind of almond macaroon. :D