I need help!

Options
I cannot seem to get motivated to go to the gym, even though it is literally in my backyard (my apartment shares a fence with the gym). I've been doing okay with keeping within my calories with only a few days of going over. I'm a grad student with two jobs and I'm so busy during the week, I'm just too tired to go. It's been almost two weeks and I know I need to work out more but I can't seem to get there. Any suggestions?

Replies

• aduff77
    aduff77 Posts: 56
    Options
    I cannot seem to get motivated to go to the gym, even though it is literally in my backyard (my apartment shares a fence with the gym). I've been doing okay with keeping within my calories with only a few days of going over. I'm a grad student with two jobs and I'm so busy during the week, I'm just too tired to go. It's been almost two weeks and I know I need to work out more but I can't seem to get there. Any suggestions?
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    DO IT!!!!!:mad: Just imagine Jillian Michaels yelling at you to get your a** to the gym!!!!LOL:laugh: You'll feel better mentally and physically!!!
  • raelee
    raelee Posts: 10
    Options
    Why don't you just start by walking past it listening to some "pump you up" music. Take a 30 minute walk to relax you and release some of your stressful day.:wink:
    Try not to beat yourself up about it. Not everybody wants to get their excercise from the gym!
  • smadag1
    smadag1 Posts: 1,368
    Options
    Try a workout DVD that way you can do it when ever and some only take 20 minutes
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    You could get up a little earlier, and hit the gym first thing in the morning... except you can't let yourselft hit the snooze and sleep through your gym time!

Try finding a workout partner and set a meeting time or join a class. That way you have someone holding your accountable for showing up.

After work/class, go straight to the gym. If you allow yourself to go home and sit down, it's always harder to get back up.

Just a few ideas... It sounds like you definitely are busy, but you also have the advantage of having your gym sooo close. Trust me, it will help you feel less tired, and you'll be so glad to did it. :happy:
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to find something you enjoy. Have you ever tried rollerblading? Do you have a bike?
  • aduff77
    aduff77 Posts: 56
    Options
    I actually enjoy most exercise. I used to dance and I enjoy going to the gym and even going on long walks with my dogs but it's getting there. For example, this weekend I just crashed the whole time because I'm so exhausted I can't lift myself off the couch. I know it's a lame excuse but it's something I'm not able to convince myself to do.
  • sportygal
    sportygal Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Make a minimum exercise goal for the week and stick to that goal. You will have more energy as time goes on. It is a commitment and YOU CAN! If you watch 30 min. of TV, then you have time to exercise!
    YOU CAN DO IT!
  • stillkristi
    stillkristi Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    When yer busy, ya gotta schedule it. Block out the time on your calendar. Good luck!
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    When yer busy, ya gotta schedule it. Block out the time on your calendar. Good luck!
    That's great advice! I have a gym at the end of my street and I have a very hard time getting there on the week-ends. I do take a couple exercise classes during the week and, since they're at specific times, I try to schedule my day around them. I should just "schedule" week-end work-outs in the same way. Thanks!