Starting p90x... questions!?

Options
Will be starting hopefully Monday, my question is this for those of you who have done or started the program. Going into the program what are some things you wish you would have known from the begining? Any advice you could give to a beginer?? Please and thank you!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• melcowenfitness
    melcowenfitness Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Following the workout routines is the "easy" part. Following the nutrition guide was not so simple for me. I suggest going back to the nutrition guide over and over again until you really understand it. Each time I read through it, I learn something new!

Don't be afraid to push yourself. If you start off with weights that are too heavy, you can always drop down!
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I wish I would have known how long the workouts were. When you do strength days you do AB ripper too which makes it 70 min or more total
  • Luvyellow
    Luvyellow Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! p90x is a FAB workout! I lost 20 pounds doing it! (I actually ended up doing it twice, trying 2 different programs)
    I would suggest really following the nutrition guide as much as possible. I didn't do that and I know I would have had even better results if I had stuck with their plan. Sure, you can veer a little bit, but I would say for maximum results, try to stick with their plan.
    Also, I would have dome p90x "Classic" instead of "Lean". I know that the plyometrics dvd is one of the hardest, but I got WAY better results when I added it into the mix. Just a thought. You'll do great...you'll start seeing a difference in a week!! No joke!! Good luck!
  • kevinlynch3
    kevinlynch3 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I would say..

1: Definitely buy bands even if you have a chin up bar
    2: Make sure your chin up bar allows you to easily move a towel from one side to the other for the cork screw pull ups included in Phase 2 from Week 5 on. The non P90X variety don't let you this so you have to stop and loop the towel again on the opposite side.

Plyometrics is a fantastic workout..if you do lean, you won't get to do this workout.
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Yeah its my boyfriends so I doubt that its the "lean" version. Ill have to ask him when he getts home from work just to double check though! Thank you all!
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Ok so I asked and he said its all 3 p90x lean, classic and somethin else.(I forgot) and it does have plyometrics...so I should be in good shape, literally and figurativly!
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Ab Ripper X is included at the end of each of the strength training DVDs. There's no reason to take out the strength DVD and insert the ARX DVD. I didn't realize this gem until I was well into my 2nd round!

Also...if you have the full set of DVDs, you have everything you need for the "lean," "Classic," or "Doubles" rotations. Those simply mean you do a different rotation of the DVDs. The rotations are included in the literature that came with the program.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Do all 90 minutes of Yoga - they are worth it. And on rest days - absolutely do the xstretch.
  • Tankplanker
    Tankplanker Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Eating clean is as least as important as sticking to the workout schedule for good results.

If you can't do pull ups then a pull up assist band is a god send: http://www.ironwoodyfitness.com/fitness-bands.php

The rest days and the recovery weeks are there for a reason, push too hard and it will impact your results.
  • rgoodearl
    rgoodearl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Eating clean is as least as important as sticking to the workout schedule for good results.

If you can't do pull ups then a pull up assist band is a god send: http://www.ironwoodyfitness.com/fitness-bands.php

The rest days and the recovery weeks are there for a reason, push too hard and it will impact your results.

I agree with Tank 100% . . . Good luck !!!

Another site for resistance bands : http://www.power-systems.com/s-7-resistance-bands.aspx