Its hard not to get discouraged... but I'll keep going...

Options
I'm on some low-dose steroids due to Crohn's disease so its making it tough to lose weight....for example... in the past 2 days, I have probably logged over 20 kms walking. Yesterday I walked all day and Friday night I walked and/or was on me feet for approximately 5 hours. Both days I made sure to count everything going into my mouth and was at around 1500 calories. This morning I weighed myself and was up 1.5 lbs... Very frustrating....but I will keep on going...... (sigh):huh:

Replies

• nadiaez
    nadiaez Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    just know that you can and will do this...even if it takes a little while longer than you expect or it is harder work, I am sure you will get to where you want to be....you've got an excellent attitude! :)
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should try shocking your body when you work out by sprinting for one minute, walking for one minute, sprinting for one minute, etc... I heard if you shock your body, you may have better results.

Also, when you weigh it, make sure you are consistent. Weigh yourself first thing in the morning, before eating, and after peeing, every morning. Weight fluctuates throughout the day.

Good luck.
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I know the steroids will make you retain fluid which shows up on the scale as pounds. But water weight isn't fat. when you get rid of the water, you will be lighter. Just hang in there! Good luck.
  • ncgingerich
    ncgingerich Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? If you are eating too little you can hamper weight loss and even sometimes gain.
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    You won't be on the steroids forever, so keep going and when you come off them you'll be glad you did!
  • txhunnygirl
    Options
    I have Graves disease so I know what you mean. I try hard with little to no loss. Some weeks I gain. I do blame myself for some of it though. I know that carbs cause me to retain fluid but I have been guilty of eating too many. I have to just control the amount of bad carbs that I eat so I won't have fluid retention.
  • maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    As you know, steriods will do that. My son has Ulcerative Colits and was on steriods for months last year. Some tricks the nutrionist told us were to limit salt (think high blood pressure diet), eat protien, drink lots of water. Hmmm...sounds a lot like MFP! The difference for him was going very low sodium. He did not get the steriod weight gain at all.

You face some additional challenges others do not. But it can be done! Good luck!
  • Hope228
    Hope228 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. I understand how that goes. I have Multiple Sclerosis and have to take steroids from time to time.
    I get so hungry I could eat my arm off. :grumble: