Grams or Calories

Options
I eat all my calories daily but I found that it exceeded the last limit of grams of carbs, sugar and protein but I see that I still have like 300 cals so Am I on track or should I watch the grams not the calories??

Replies

• KimberlinaB
    KimberlinaB Posts: 4,017 Member
    Options
    Staying under on calories is your MAIN goal, but Fats, Carbs and Protein are your macros.
    Hitting your protein goal is the second most important, and fats and carbs are less so.
    You will be just fine on track to lose weight if that is your goal by maintaining a calorie deficit, but to properly fuel your body you want to make sure you get the recommended amount of protein to keep you feeling full longer and keep you happier while dieting. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I eat all my calories daily but I found that it exceeded the last limit of grams of carbs, sugar and protein but I see that I still have like 300 cals so Am I on track or should I watch the grams not the calories??

Calories are what matter for weight management. The default for carbs, protein, and fat are just that...a default setting...they don't mean squat. Sugar is also not a macro-nutrient, it is a subset of carbs. If you're also looking at macros, it's carbs, protein, and fat. Macros are what make up your calories. 4 calories per gram of carbohydrate, 4 calories per gram of protein, and 9 calories per gram of dietary fat.

There is not universally optimal macro ratio...it is very individual as per medical conditions, physical performance, satiety, and body composition. For example, a marathon runner is going to have a much different optimal macro breakdown compared to a bodybuilder.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    If you've reached your macro goals but still have 300 calories left, you've most likely chosen some incorrect food database entries.