What happen when you stop fasting/IF?

Options

Replies

• Seasonal_One
    Seasonal_One Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I recommend you use a food scale and verify every single one of your entries against the package.

I think this is the best advise to anyone trying to lose weight. Hard to cheat the accuracy of the scale.

• IsabelleBabel
    IsabelleBabel Posts: 12 Member
    Options

[/quote]

If you are within healthy BMI range ( according to post upthread) and keep that weight, would that be a bad thing?

Maybe along with unrealistic rate of loss expectation, you also have unrealistic expectations of the right weight for you? [/quote]

I stayed under 130 all of my life - I am 50 - except for the past year and a half.

While it is not impossible, I am not ready to believe that my body suddenly decided that I will never be under 139 again.

• IsabelleBabel
    edited March 2022
    Options
    kshama2001: you are trolling me, surely. ;)

Or you did not read my initial post and subsequent replies?

I put my diary back to private. It was a bad idea to make it public since I don't want and certainly don't need basic advice on how to weight / log food. Sorry, and thank you for your comments.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,266 Member
    Options
    ciaoder wrote: »

I certainly can, but if someone posts that goddam chart, I'll scream, I am not in a mood to be asked if I know how a kitchen scale works
    @IsabelleBabel

I find myself as the "counterpoint" to a lot of these discussions...here I go again...

we know that CI<CO= weight loss. It's fact. It's foundational.

BUT we can also write the equation CO>CI=weight loss. If you feel like you're at a sticking point, and you feel like you can maintain a healthy diet at maintenance (1500 cal.), what happens if you leave the diet right were it is and you jack up the other side of the equation. It would be an investment of more time and effort. It may not be possible as a lifestyle choice for you at this stage. I'm just putting it out there as another way to manipulate the equation with a broader view of the factors.

Might even be the case that if OP bumps calories up by 100 daily, sticks with that for some time between a week and a month while consciously trying to increase up daily life activity a bit**, then does another calorie increase, repeat, repeat until weight stabilizes or even increases a tiny bit for a whole month/menstrual cycle . . . some of the "damage" from repeat dieting can be reversed. Lower probability of success, but it seems to work for some.

** Many MFP-ers ideas for increasing daily life movement in this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1

Increasing muscle mass is also a good play in this scenario, but that's very slow, and just a small bump (about 4 more calories per day at rest, per pound of muscle as compared with a pound of fat). Increasing fitness, which can increase spontaneous movement (because moving becomes easier and more fun), can also be a useful play . . . but over-exercising can cause fatigue that bleeds calorie burn out of daily life activity, so that's a balancing act, and also a slow-ish investment. (OP, I know you already exercise.)

I'd note that eating 100 calories above true maintenance will result in a pound of fat gain in a few days more than a month, all other things equal. Most people's water and digestive contents fluctuations vary by 2-3 pounds or more over a day or few. In that context, it can take a couple of months to see slow gain (or slow loss) within the confusing backdrop of water/waste fluctuations.

People who bump up calories a little, see multi-pound weight increases in a day or few, are very, very likely over-reacting to things that aren't fat changes. Can be significant overlap of that group with the one described in this article that kshama also linked:

https://bodyrecomposition.com/research/dietary-restraint-cortisol-levels

OP, I'm not necessarily saying that that article or other points in my post clearly and definitely apply to you. I'm just talking about things that happen for some, that we sometimes see around here, in a context of loosely similar situations. Lots of people read these threads, not just the OP. Even though not specific to IF, I think my post is on-topic to your thread in a more generalized way, but it's perfectly reasonable that things you know about yourself (but that we don't know) may tell you that this doesn't apply to you.

We're just a bunch of well-meaning strangers, trying to help you (for free), however imperfectly we may actually achieve that, y'know?

Best wishes, sincerely.

P.S. OP, @IsabelleBabel, I'm even older than you are, 66, and relatively close in height (5'5"). While I'm speculating some here, it's from a position of empathy, I swear.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,605 Member
    Options

I put my diary back to private. It was a bad idea to make it public since I don't want and certainly don't need basic advice on how to weight / log food. Sorry, and thank you for your comments.

This is very disappointing. You asked for help, because what you're doing is not producing the results you want. Although you feel you are doing this part correctly, something is evidently not working the way you want it to and you don't know why, that's why you are posting.

It's possible that you are wrong, or it's possible that you are indeed doing things right but someone could still offer you advice to help you lose weight - which is what you are asking for. However if this is the way you respond to someone who takes time to make valid suggestions, I'm not sure you're going to find people so willing to help.

Good luck figuring it out.

I...I...Is Porky Pig pantsless?
  • ciaoder
    ciaoder Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    and for some reason they took away the "disagree" button?!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Without an open diary and the willingness to admit you could be making some logging mistakes - Kshama politely pointed out two likely ones to consider - not much anyone can do to help. :*
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    @isabellebabel If I am understanding you correctly, you started dieting in December and have lost 11 pounds in that time. But your weight has stalled for the past month. So if I understand correctly, you lost that 11 pounds over December and January. Then you stalled in February. We are now at the beginning of March.

I can tell that you are very stressed about your current weight, and you are longing to weigh less like you did when you were younger. I’m only a few years older than you and a couple inches shorter. I can relate to what you are expressing.

I know that you have likely heard others state that weight loss isn’t linear. And it’s difficult to take into account the past three months combined loss while you are stuck in the month without movement on the scale.

As much as you may not want to hear this, have you considered talking to a counselor? You seem to be putting a lot of stress on yourself. You deserve to treat yourself with some grace and kindness.

As for how you measure/weigh your food, it’s completely up to you as to how you choose to do so. I personally measure most items and weigh a few. I recognize that this choice may mean my logging isn’t as accurate as it could be. That may affect my weight loss. I’m ok with that.

I’m hopeful that if you choose not to talk to a counselor, that you can find a way to focus more on the journey instead of the goal weight. A maintenance break might be a good idea while you sort through how you feel.
  • Bridgie3
    Bridgie3 Posts: 139 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Hi Isabelle

I had a little tanty and threw all my toys out of the cot, and went from low carb (30 - 50 a day) high fat to ALLLLL the carbs, toast, jam, cakes, a bag of licorice... you name it. I had all sorts of everything.

I went on like this for a few days.

I went up about 2kg in the first couple of days. I was angry with myself, I ate more carbs. I ate all day. I had breakfast, lunch, dinner, pudding. There is so much cake at work! Thursday involved black forest gateau. I ate all of the carbs. I drank hot chocolate. I did it all. It was like running away on a dirty weekend with a lover or something. Except better.

Anyway, to cut a long story short

I weighed myself this morning. 92kg. Yep, those 2 kg I had fought so hard to get rid of were back.

Then I went to the loo. Then I weighed myself, 90.4,

Yes, that's up from the 89.6 or whatever I weighed in at a couple of weeks ago - but not by much.

I've had my little rumspringa, and now I can get back in the game.

I like intermittent fasting: 1 or 2 meals a day between 2pm and 6pm. I like not having to think about food at other times, and I LOVE not being hungry.

I attribute not being hungry however to eating high proportion of calories from fat. with 50g carbs (that's 200 cal) and 60g protein (that's 240 cals) my fat quotent is 85 grammes, or 765cals from fat a day. That is a LOT of fat, but I get it from meat, and good quality sausages, and tinned tuna and salmon and sardines, and eggs and mayonnaise... These things are satisfying and leave me un-hungry.

Some people say eating a lot of protein makes you not hungry; but the last diet I was on, I'd eat lean steak and salad for dinner, no fats, and within 2 hrs I would be starving. Others say high fibre. But that doesn't help me personally either. For me, eating fats (at alll after a lifetime of avoiding it) has been eye-opening, and very good for satiation.
  • IsabelleBabel
    edited March 2022
    Options

Oh, I read your OP and understood the question you asked.

However, here we often answer better questions than the ones that were asked. :wink:

So, please tell me:
    1. Is Hellman's mayo in your location less than half the calories it is here in the US?
    2. Is your brand of cheddar cheese less than half the calories of regular cheddar in the US?

If not, just the two entries I checked for one day are 200 calories more than what you logged.

Logging errors are a simple explanation for you to "maintain at 1200-1500 cal/day."

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

xkbb9sze6mh7.png

My way of measuring, using scale and logging as always allowed me to lose weight when I wanted, and maintain when I wanted. For years, and by «years» I mean over 25 years (including getting my weight as low as 120 lbs). Except for the past 4 - 6 weeks where I did not change a single thing .

I put a lot of context in the OP to make sure people would not start posting about how one should measure & log food to be able lose weight.

I said above that it was an error to open my diary, as I realized (too late) right that it looked like an invitation to comment and question my logging, which I did not want. I don't know why I opened it.

Should not have.

I know no one owes me anything, but I asked one question in my OP, and it was the potential effects of trying IF, then going back to eating at any time of the day.

Now, some preferred to write an essay on basic measuring and food weighting principles. By doing so, they are telling me that I am either an idiot, or a liar.

Thanks for those who gave very interesting answers, even if they were not exactly in line with my question, there was a lot of insightful information.

Have a good days everyone. I am getting out of here.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    ciaoder wrote: »

I certainly can, but if someone posts that goddam chart, I'll scream, I am not in a mood to be asked if I know how a kitchen scale works
    @IsabelleBabel

I find myself as the "counterpoint" to a lot of these discussions...here I go again...

we know that CI<CO= weight loss. It's fact. It's foundational.

BUT we can also write the equation CO>CI=weight loss. If you feel like you're at a sticking point, and you feel like you can maintain a healthy diet at maintenance (1500 cal.), what happens if you leave the diet right were it is and you jack up the other side of the equation. It would be an investment of more time and effort. It may not be possible as a lifestyle choice for you at this stage. I'm just putting it out there as another way to manipulate the equation with a broader view of the factors.

Yes, @WinoGelato is a 5'2" woman who back in 2016 anyway was maintaining on 2200 calories because she is so active, and that with a desk job.

I'm almost 5'7" (and have a large frame) so I keep her in mind to inspire shorter women.

I sure need my exercise calories though, and strive to get at least 400-500 in throughout the day, every day. And that will go up when gardening season kicks in. I'll be planting peas soon, hooray!

Meanwhile, I'm keeping busy outside by collecting brush for the burn pile. Indoors, I have yoga, Tai Chi, Essentrics, and cooking marathons. (I don't log the first hour of cooking I do per day.)

I'd like to be strength training, but haven't figured out a way to work around my knee and arm issues. I dealt with golfers elbow for two years, and now am dealing with De Quervain's tenosynovitis. I have my first PT for that today.

I have other physical challenges as well, but hopefully I have expressed my point - despite my challenges, I have found a way to meet my exercise goals. It never occurred to me to "give up." If it had, I would have sought therapy, like I did when I noticed my stress eating had picked up in March 2020. (Normally regular exercise, and increased exercise in times of increased stress keeps that at bay.)
  • Bridgie3
    Bridgie3 Posts: 139 Member
    Options

Oh, I read your OP and understood the question you asked.

However, here we often answer better questions than the ones that were asked. :wink:

So, please tell me:
    1. Is Hellman's mayo in your location less than half the calories it is here in the US?
    2. Is your brand of cheddar cheese less than half the calories of regular cheddar in the US?

If not, just the two entries I checked for one day are 200 calories more than what you logged.

Logging errors are a simple explanation for you to "maintain at 1200-1500 cal/day."

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

xkbb9sze6mh7.png

My way of measuring, using scale and logging as always allowed me to lose weight when I wanted, and maintain when I wanted. For years, and by «years» I mean over 25 years (including getting my weight as low as 120 lbs). Except for the past 4 - 6 weeks where I did not change a single thing .

I put a lot of context in the OP to make sure people would not start posting about how one should measure & log food to be able lose weight.

I said above that it was an error to open my diary, as I realized (too late) right that it looked like an invitation to comment and question my logging, which I did not want. I don't know why I opened it.

Should not have.

I know no one owes me anything, but I asked one question in my OP, and it was the potential effects of trying IF, then going back to eating at any time of the day.

Now, some preferred to write an essay on basic measuring and food weighting principles. By doing so, they are telling me that I am either an idiot, or a liar.

Thanks for those who gave very interesting answers, even if they were not exactly in line with my question, there was a lot of insightful information.

Have a good days everyone. I am getting out of here.

Everyone with this Covid is having a really hard time of it, including the ppl who respond to your OP.

:) We must be kind and overlook the multitudes who fail to see what we are saying, and just hone in on the ones that are.

By the way: where I was coming from (I realise I didn't say) is that I had been on IF for a while, and then the wheels fell off and I had a blowout, and the net effect was about .6 of a kg.

This is something I'd expect from change in food patterns in the gut. Which is to say, I don't consider it a problem. If anything I would have expected my glycogen to fill back up again (binding with 4 x its weight in water) so I assumed I'd regain 2 or 3 kg.

But I didn't.

So try IF. I like it, I like sitting down to one major meal a day from entree to dessert. So long as the food you are eating is real food, natural food, it's not easy to overeat on one meal a day.

Also: I have a funny feeling that in the middle ages they had one meal, and that was what 'dinner' was. - to dine, to eat. extra meals were added in as people got richer and had more access to food.