Iron intake

Options
Looking for high iron foods to get my iron intake increased with out having to take a supplement.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Do you eat meat? If so, you're likely fine. Don't try to use MFP to analyze whether or not you're getting enough iron. Iron isn't a nutrient that is required on food labels which is where most data base entries come from, so it's not included as a nutrient even though a particular food may be high in iron. You should never supplement iron unless you've been medically diagnosed as deficient. It is rare for an omnivore to be iron deficient...it happens more often with vegetarians, and in particular with vegans.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Why do you think your iron intake is too low?
    Have you had blood work done?

Reiterating what cwolfman stated, you should NEVER supplement iron without blood tests that show a deficiency. Too much iron can be harmful.
  • henning12345nh3512
    henning12345nh3512 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    No just basing it off the iron that recorded in the app with my current food intake.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    You will probably be getting enough - it just won’t show on MFP (user created entries). Some good sources: red meat (look for the leaner types), eggs, green leafy veg (not as easy for the body to use iron from those but still a good source), pulses have some iron, fortified foods like breakfast cereal and breads, even Belvita (in the UK - oat biscuits) have a lot of iron. Interestingly, spinach is better steamed as otherwise the oxalic acid can cause mineral mis-absorption. But it is pretty yummy raw with balsamic vinegar on it 😀
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    No just basing it off the iron that recorded in the app with my current food intake.

Then you're most likely fine. The database is crowd-sourced, so many of the entries are incomplete or wrong.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,056 Member
    Options
    On the off chance you don't eat meat, plant sources tend to have lower bio-availability. I'm vegetarian, exceed my iron goal most days (definitely do on average over a week). Some of my better-iron contributors are:

* Greens
    * Blackstrap molasses (check labels, brands differ)
    * Tofu
    * Asparagus
    * Flax, hemp and pumpkin seeds

If you eat meat, that's a better source, generally. I agree that the MFP database may not accurately reflect iron intake. You can spot check a couple your days against some better source (like the USDA database) and get a feel for whether that's part of the issue.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

Like I mentioned before, it's not required on food labels and that is where the majority of database entries come from...therefore tracking iron with MFP isn't going to be remotely accurate. Don't bother.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it unless a blood test indicates a problem. Just focus on eating a variety of healthy, whole foods and you should be good, especially if you aren't a vegetarian.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Also, if you're not a female in her reproductive years, the 100% RDA iron recommendation on U.S. food labels is not for you. For other adults, you only need about 45% of the RDA (i.e., about 8 mg of iron vs the 18 mg for a female in her reproductive -- possibly more for someone who is pregnant or lactating, not sure on that).
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    As others have said...there are some supplements that you should ONLY use if you KNOW that you are deficient and have been advised by a doctor to use. Iron is one of those, because it's possible to have too much and cause problems.

The nutrition information for Iron is likely not accurate via the database of this app. You're likely fine.
  • ciaoder
    ciaoder Posts: 119 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Nothing really to add to the specific question... BUT...

It is a good opportunity to urge/remind any readers here to lean on their doctors to run comprehensive lab work at regular intervals and look it over for yourself. Everybody should pursue an understanding of their own health.

@henning12345nh3512 good on you, it's the right kind of question to ask.
  • Bridgie3
    Bridgie3 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    If you are anaemic, a quick test is to pull down your lower eyelid and see if the flesh is pink-based or apricot-based. Theres a lot of clear-ish nothing colour anyway; but if what colour is there is apricot or orange, see the doctor, get a blood test. It should be pink, like the pink of healthy gums.

Too much iron is very bad for you, and the cure for it is regular bleeding. :D So don't get supplements unless you're diagnosed... as everyone here also seems to be saying. :)