Too Big to Run???

Options
Hi all

I am currently 231lbs. Was thinking of giving the "Couch to 5k" a go to help shift the weight!

Is this do-able at my weight???

Or am I kidding myself?

Interested in your thoughts and advice!!

T x

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I've done 10ks at 250, I don't know how heavy is too heavy.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Regardless you can always start off walking and work up to a jog/run.
  • DarleneT22
    DarleneT22 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    No way! :)

I did C25K when I was 266 lbs. As long as you don't have any joint or knee problems, I think you're okay.

ETA: I actually lost my first 20 lbs doing C25K.
  • spinachdiva
    Options
    You can! I think the biggest step is overcoming that little voice in your head that keeps saying "you can't, you can't." But you can! Good luck!
  • themrsbriggs
    themrsbriggs Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    i'm 238 and in week 4! GO FOR IT!!!!
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    you will never know unless you try
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    you can definitely do it, I was around 250 when I first started running.
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    As long as you start off nice and slowly, allow your body to acclimatise and stop if you feel pain in your knees or hips, I can't see why you shouldn't be able to. Good luck! :bigsmile:
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Definitely not provided you remember that (1) you need to take care of your knees in particular, so don't push harder than they can handle and (2) once your transition to running from walk/run your pace will improve as the weight comes off. (I started running at about 220 and didn't see really good pacing on my runs until I was well below 210...but I was running!)
  • LMorrison1009
    LMorrison1009 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm heavier than that, even with 30 pounds lost, and I'm in week 3. It's doable. Just make sure you have good running shoes (they made all the difference for me) and do some good stretching before you start. Especially your shins and ankles. I sit and make the alphabet with my feet before I even start my stretching, and it's helped me a ton!
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, you can totally do it. And its a great place to start! Being a runner is so great, no matter what size you are! Its liberating to realize that you can do it! So get out there!!! You'll love it!
  • trail_turtle
    trail_turtle Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Definitely doable! Doing the C25K program a year ago was one of the best things I've ever done!

Google "good form running" and "proper running form" and research the websites and videos to learn how to run properly. (I know it sounds funny, but there are good and bad ways to land on your foot and which can contribute to knee/foot strain.)

I took a running form class at a local running store where they videotaped us running and taught us how to land on the mid-foot instead of the heel. This saved my knees, as I was starting to feel knee pain on the first week of C25K; it disappeared after I incorporated the techniques I learned.

Good luck on your goals!
  • tammierich
    Options
    do it. I am doing it and I have severe asthma and I am 205lb and despite it being hard you feel great afterwards x x
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    You can do it. Many people who are considered "runners"....who actually run races to win them.... started out running to lose weight. You can do it!
  • pacmanjack
    pacmanjack Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I started running on a treadmill (and other cardio machines on alternate days), in May when I was about 235 poiunds. It was a struggle to run 3 miles at a 5.2 mph pace. But it got easier every time... and I gradually went up on distance and speed.

Here it is 4.5 months later, I'm 196, and I run at 6.0 mph and a 1.0 incline for between 50 and 60 minutes (5 or 6 miles).

My point? Yes. You can do it. If you start slowly, stick with it, and increase a little at a time.

Good luck. :smile:
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Give it a go! If you're having trouble running as long as planned, don't be afraid to walk more. I created my own "Week 0" where I ran for 30 seconds and walked for 2 minutes. Also, do not give in to the temptation to run every day. You need the day off in between to let your joints recover.
  • rawise01
    rawise01 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just started the C25K today. I made sure I went to a running store when they helped me pick shoes (good socks are helpful too). There is also an app for the phone called C25K lite that "dings" when it is time to walk or jog. It helped me through today. I like the idea of a week 0 as it was a bit hard for me today. I already do zumba and cardio-kickboxing, but it is a different form of exercise and uses different parts of your body.
  • paxetamore
    paxetamore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Give it a try, but don't push it to start with. It's quite OK to miss some of the running intervals or to repeat weeks when you are getting started - you want exercise not injuries, so build up gradually.
    My other best tips:
    - get fitted for good shoes - these are essential
    - for the ladies, get a supportive bra or wear a tank with a shelf bra over another bra if you need to
    - run slow - really slow. You want to build endurance first, speed can come later.
    - make sure you take your rest days to avoid injuries.

I started at 202 pounds and it was OK.
  • lostsoul2216
    lostsoul2216 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Even at 270 I can run a little if I wish to. I do not usually because I have knee and ankle issues. It took a lot to get back walking my 6 mile walks. My main concern is blisters these days. If i get back to running again I will be thrilled but not yet.