Can't find the answer anywhere on google...

Options
So starting 3 days ago I have been excessively thirsty, to the point where around my lips gets really red and my lips turn an unnatural shade of pinkish purple and no amount of fluids seems to be helping. I am physically unable to sweat (its not as wonderful a problem as it sounds, believe me) so I know its not from that and my blood sugar levels are totally normal so I really don't think it could be diabetes, its not my TOM and there have been NO recent changes to my diet or exercise. And not only is this extreme thirst uncomfortable because, well, I just can't quench it, but I have to pee about every 30-45 minutes which is REALLY inconvenient when you manage a fast food restaurant.
What could it be? Do I need to see a doctor? I REALLY hate going to the doctors.

Replies

• ginny1214
    Options
    Are you sure it's not diabetes?... You need to go to a gp
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    That does not sound good, you need to see your doctor!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Please see a doctor.
  • missolesky
    Options
    I'm positive, my Grandma has diabetes and we've tested my sugar levels several times and they are all within normal range and they always were in the normal range even when I was considered obese
  • RRB_Fan
    RRB_Fan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I hate the Dr. too but I would go if it persists. I googled it too other than the Diabetes and Blood Pressure that you said was a no, it also stated kidney, liver or heart failure.
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Definitely go see a doctor! It could be nothing but you need a medical opinion.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You should definitely see a doctor.
  • ginny1214
    Options
    I'm positive, my Grandma has diabetes and we've tested my sugar levels several times and they are all within normal range and they always were in the normal range even when I was considered obese

But have you ever had a test ran bay your doctor where you fast, stink sugar drink, and get drawn?
  • alkion
    Options
    So starting 3 days ago I have been excessively thirsty, to the point where around my lips gets really red and my lips turn an unnatural shade of pinkish purple and no amount of fluids seems to be helping. I am physically unable to sweat (its not as wonderful a problem as it sounds, believe me) so I know its not from that and my blood sugar levels are totally normal so I really don't think it could be diabetes, its not my TOM and there have been NO recent changes to my diet or exercise. And not only is this extreme thirst uncomfortable because, well, I just can't quench it, but I have to pee about every 30-45 minutes which is REALLY inconvenient when you manage a fast food restaurant.
    What could it be? Do I need to see a doctor? I REALLY hate going to the doctors.

For me, when i first started to increase my water in take. It made me very thirsty, I'd drink a gallon and a half a day, and like you said still couldn't quench the thirst. If you just recently increased your water intake, It could be the same issue I had.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    If you can't find in on Google, it doesn't exist!

:-)

Like you, I don't particularly care to see doctors but everything you've written tells me you need to see a doctor.

You've had a sudden, significant change in how your body behaves and there's no known reason for it. If you don't go now, what other symptom would convince you — perhaps a limb dropping off?

Yes, go see a doc and get things set right.

My personal definition of wisdom - "The ability to do things that, in hindsight, will not appear to have been stupid." That's a conservative definition that I came to when I was about 50 but I'd been through enough "bad stuff" that I decided to err on the side of caution for a few decades and see if things worked out better.

Hope you get things figured out!
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    how much sodium are you consuming
    and id really see a doctor
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    and please in the meantime, no matter how thirsty you feel, do not over drink water, as that can also be dangerous - do some searches as to what a safe intake is because I dont know, I just remember seeing the drugs posters in nightclubs about the dangers of drinking too little water, AND drinking too much
  • alliebeck2
    Options
    First thing that comes to my mind is Diabetes Insipidus. It is an inability of your kidneys to conserve water; you wouldn't necessarily see any wild fluctuations in blood sugar. See a doctor ASAP.
  • cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options

But have you ever had a test ran bay your doctor where you fast, stink sugar drink, and get drawn?

Have you had the Glucose tolerance test done? Depending on your physician, you will need to do a 2 or 3 hour. Like the other person said you fast over night,(NO WATER) you go to the lab and they give you a drink to drink. you will have your blood drawn about 5 times during the test. once fasting, once 30 min after you consume the drink and then once every hour after you consumed the drink until it has been 2 or 3 hours.
  • ginny1214
    Options
    I'm such a nerd! I can never remember the name of the test, I should though, had gd with. Oth pregnancies!

Have you had the Glucose tolerance test done? Depending on your physician, you will need to do a 2 or 3 hour. Like the other person said you fast over night,(NO WATER) you go to the lab and they give you a drink to drink. you will have your blood drawn about 5 times during the test. once fasting, once 30 min after you consume the drink and then once every hour after you consumed the drink until it has been 2 or 3 hours.
  • suz74
    suz74 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm with the crowd on this one, you really need to visit your GP. Hope visit goes well if you do and you get a helpful answer
  • beach_bum_gurl
    Options
    Like the other posters have said...please go see a physician. The thirst and frequent urination are hallmark signs of diabetes. Despite your blood sugars being "normal", your physician can do a hemoglobin A1C test to see what your average glucose has been ranging over the past few months. I hope for you that it is not diabetes, but your doctor should be able to figure out what it is~
  • alliebeck2
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it's probably not diabetes mellitus, which is what people seem to keep suggesting here (also known as type I or type II diabetes). If you are not experiencing blood sugar problems, then diabetes insipidus fits your symptoms as you've described them.

Diabetes insipidus is a completely different disease than diabetes mellitus, despite the similarities in their names. Diabetes mellitus indicates an inability to regulate blood sugar, while diabetes insipidus indicates an inability to properly regulate fluid levels. Diabetes mellitus involves either a lack of insulin production in your pancreas, or an insensitivity to insulin in your body tissues. On the other hand, diabetes insipidus often deals with a problem with hormone production in the hypothalamus, resulting in the inability of the kidneys to conserve water. Textbook symptoms of diabetes insipidus are excessive thirst and urination. I realize that these are also symptoms of diabetes mellitus, but in the absence of blood sugar problems, diabetes insipidus is the likely culprit.
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    With the lack of sweating and excessive thirst, I would definitely seek out a doctor's opinion... and I am NOT the type of person to go to the doctor often. AT. ALL.
  • zta1989
    zta1989 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Definitely seek medical care. When your body is not responding normally to water or exertion, you definitely need to have that checked out by a medical professional.