How many calories?!?!

Options
62, 5’2” and need to lose 30 lbs. I’ve been doing 1300 a day and getting nowhere! Anyone?? I do 30 min walk everyday and starting resistance training this week

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    With just 30lbs to lose, things will be slow. For how long are you trying to lose weight? If nothing has happened for a month you can probably assume that you're eating more than you think. How do you measure your food intake? Also, you just started resistance training? This will lead to water retention that can hide your fat loss.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    The first thing you need to assess is how accurately you are measuring your calories.
    Are you weighing your food, using measuring cups and spoons, eyeballing portions?

Also, how long have you been doing this and seeing no results? Sometimes, the problem is lack of patience or unrealistic expectations.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    At your age and height, if you are mostly sedentary your maintenance calories are probably about 1400. When I was losing weight in my late 50's, I got frustrated by the fact that to lose 1 lb. a week they said I should eat 1200 calories, to lose .5 a week, I should eat 1250 calories, to maintain I got a whopping 1400. MFP won't go below 1200 for a woman because it is hard to get sufficient nutrition on less than that. That means the weight loss will be very slow. I chose to increase my exercise and regular movement and it turned out my base metabolism is higher than average so I did lose weight and have been able to maintain the loss for several years. When you don't have a lot of leeway, it is important to be really careful about logging everything all the time. One 'cheat meal' can end up using up all your deficit and then some.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    pamr40 wrote: »
    62, 5’2” and need to lose 30 lbs. I’ve been doing 1300 a day and getting nowhere! Anyone?? I do 30 min walk everyday and starting resistance training this week

Can you please provide more info?

What is your current weight?
    How long have you been tracking calories on MyFitnessPal?
    Have you lost any weight over that time?
    How often are you weighing in?
  • annesisland
    annesisland Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a 60yo trainer/coach (40y), with a couple of rare diseases (post-meno). I'd ask, are you on any medications? What is the "quality" of the 1300cals you are consuming, also including sugar and sodium? Sometimes we're eating "inflammatory" foods that never bothered us before. Eating at night can make you weigh more in the am. Are you measuring your body, instead of weighing?
  • Bridgie3
    Bridgie3 Posts: 139 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options

Go change your goals to maintenance, and see what your daily requirement for maintenance is.

Then work out how fast you'll lose, or what you want to lose. 1lb fat is 3500 calories; people tend to split that into 7 to get 1lb loss per week, so that's 500 calorie deficit per day to lose 1lb per week.

That may be too much deficit for you. You might want to lose 1/2 lb a week. That's for you to know, based upon your current food input requirements and how you want to live. :)

Then reset your goals to show the kind of weight loss journey you prefer to be on.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,991 Member
    Options

For how long?

Could you open your FOOD diary for us to help you troubleshoot?

Go to FOOD > Settings
    scroll down, click "Public" and Save