Need help with "off" days

Options
I started my weight loss journey on May 1st. I can't complain because I have lost 19 pounds so far. I do know that I have one habit that I absolutely need to break and need some advice. Every month I go through a 3-5 day period where I just don't care about counting calories and eat whatever I want. I feel that I somehow "deserve" these days because of all the hard work I put in the rest of the month. I need to know what I can do to stay on track all the time. Is there anyone else that has gone through this? Any advice is helpful. Thanks in advance!!!

Replies

• newarkco05
    Options
    Maybe one "cheat" day a week would help you stay on through the month... Try to keep it within reason but a few extra treats that you don't normally have
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Seriously, I've been on MFP since December 2010 and have never had a "cheat day". Back then, I realized I needed to change my relationship with food and I did.

"cheat days"? I wouldn't do that to my body.
  • Happy777
    Happy777 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I go through the same thing! I have no idea how to avoid it :( Mine is normally around my period :(
  • CoachNYLA
    Options
    I go through that when I am either in between on my cycle or getting ready to. Is it possible that it happens around the same time for you too?

I always seem to get into those tricky spots when I become too hungry and tired. Waiting too long in between meals to eat etc.

If I have a craving, I go for these options:

3/4 cup greek yogurt (non fat)
    2 tbsp. chopped walnuts
    1/2 mashed banana
    1-2 packets of stevia

or

baked apple (you can do it in the micro on a plate - leave the skin on and bake it whole, no cutting it up)
    1/2 cup of low fat cottage cheese
    (Take baked apple out of micro but be careful because there will be an apple syrup from the apple baking at the bottom of the dish, that is the golden part of this)
    Place the cottage cheese in a bowl, break open the apple and discard the core and seeds, scraping all the pulp out and on top of the cottage cheese, then pour the apple syrup on top of the apple and sprinkle cinnamon.

I have other ideas that get me through AND these are all on my plan as my snack so it is accounted for and low cal.

Hope some of this helps.

Nyla
  • Enforcer25
    Enforcer25 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous post, try to limit it to once a week or every few weeks and limit what you eat. Think of how far you have come and how good you look and feel. You can do this.
  • melliemel818
    melliemel818 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have 1 cheat/day off every week where I don't exercise and I eat whatever I want (in moderation) then I hit it full force again the next day for the entire week. I make sure my cheat day/day off is the same day every week. It's been really good for me, I find that when I have this cheat day it keeps me motivated and on track the rest of the week and my body doesn't feel starved of things I wouldn't necessarily eat during the other 6days of the week. But remember it's all about moderation and choosing the healthier version on your sweets you eat your cheat day.