Chronic health issues and motivation

Options
Morning.

I am Erika a 37yr old brittle asthmatic with a prolapsed disc in my lumbar spine. I am 216lbs today and ideally need to be somewhere around 160-180lbs at least probably more like 140-150.
I start my day raring to go and full of ideals of how I'm going to eat ....and then either my pain levels skyrocket so I can't stand to make food (like today) or my asthma decides its unhappy and my o2 levels drop a bit leaving me tired and just grabbing whatever I can get my hands on easily and all motivation goes out of the window.
Does anyone else have chronic health battles that struggle with physical capability of food prep that then leads to motivation issues because "what is the point in trying if I can't do it anyway" ... do you have any tips that might help me stop self sabotaging please?
Thank you in advance xx

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    I don't have health battles that can make it physically or emotionally difficult to eat healthier. But there are tons of foods that are quick, easy, healthy to have on hand when your physical capability is diminished. It sounds like you need to work on the emotional battle going on inside your head, work on your self positivity and confidence that you can and will do this. YOU can make it work for you.
    Maybe a consult with your doctor, get a referral for a nutritionist/dietician, maybe a therapist to work alongside you.
    I feel getting started and in a rhythm is the hardest part. Once you see a few pounds drop, see the scale change a bit, it increases confidence. At least, that's what I've found for myself.
    Make a list of healthy lower calorie foods you like, have them available for grabbing instead of the higher calorie junk foods. I only mention junk foods because those are the types of foods I'd pick if feeling hungry and unmotivated. :( But you do need to eat things you enjoy because living on celery and carrot sticks won't work(unless you like them a lot :))

Have you entered all your numbers into MFP, current weight, goals, calories taken in, that sort of thing? It helps me to keep track of my calories; I find myself making better choices that still fit into my allotment. It's when I get lazy with logging in that gets me into trouble.

Positive self talk has helped me through many weak moments. Filling my time with other things(hobbies, reading, puzzles, journaling, a good movie, etc.) has gotten me through moments. When I'm feeling in a really munchy mood I'll have a cup of coffee or SF hot chocolate. You need to experiment and find the best thing that fits you and your lifestyle.

I wish you the best of luck!! You can and will do this!!
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I have severe health issues including a major spinal injury, and am often bedridden, but I still manage to eat very healthy because I don't design my food plans to depend on me being functional every day to be able to cook.

I batch cook huge batches of healthy meals on days that I feel well enough to cook, so that way there are always healthy meals, pre-portioned, just waiting to be reheated.

I also keep convenient options on hand for simple on-demand meals. Frozen prepared vegetarian curries that just require me to make rice. Wontons that I can toss into pho or ramen broth with some egg noodles and spinach. Or hard boiled eggs, raw veggies and hummus.

I make sure that there are easy, healthy options available with minimal effort at all times. I also don't keep unhealthy convenient options in the house. So if I'm just grabbing what's most convenient, it won't be unhealthy.