Anyone on meds that have put on weight

Options
Hi there. Ive just joined MFP. I am over 3 st overweight. A large part
of that has come from medications I am on for depression. I wondered
if anybody else had suffered similar. I am very well now, but will be
on the meds probably all my life. The weight is getting me down and
I really want to succeed this time. Would love to hear from anyone and
would be glad to support others. Good luck all.

Replies

• wutamunkee
    wutamunkee Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I am doing the reverse--- I probably did gain a good bit goin on depression meds... but I am fighting to keep the pounds off as I just went off a anti depressant.. glad you are feeling better.
  • DanieNicolee
    Options
    Hi, I'm so glad you feel better now! My name is Danielle. I had to be put on Anti-seizure & Naproxen due to my health problems. They made me gain a huge amount of weight but without them, i would probably be in the hospital. I went from a size 9 to a 13 in a few months. It got me down too. But i'm very determined to get my weight back down & be happy with myself again. Just remember, do it for YOU & never give up! & success will follow (:
  • tawnabunnygirl
    Options
    Hi, and welcome. I am also glad you are feeling well. I struggle with a chronic autoimmune illness and was put on medication that made me gain an unreal amount of weight almost overnight it seemed. I went from 219 to 280 in the matter of a few months. The medication, Prednisone, made me well again. I have struggled with this illness since 2001. I have only now just begun to lose the way. Keep up the good work. I empathize with your struggle.
  • tawnabunnygirl
    Options
    Hi, and welcome. I am also glad you are feeling well. I struggle with a chronic autoimmune illness and was put on medication that made me gain an unreal amount of weight almost overnight it seemed. I went from 219 to 280 in the matter of a few months. The medication, Prednisone, made me well again. I have struggled with this illness since 2001. I have only now just begun to lose the weight. Keep up the good work. I empathize with your struggle.
  • bosoxjenn
    bosoxjenn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was just put on antidepressants and I saw that one of the side effects was weight gain due to increased appetite.

I haven't been super active on this site for some time because of some medical issues (distracted, mainly), but I am using MyFitnessPal to avoid the possible weight gain that being on these meds can cause!

Good luck!
  • whatwentwrong
    Options
    when i first got put on antidepressants i gained about 50 pounds in a matter of months, at 13 :/ i'm not currently on antidepressants tho :)
  • Loramy
    Options
    Thanks to all for your support. In a way it helps to know others are experiencing similar
    things and succeeding too. All the best.