Muscle pain

Options
Now that I’ve started to work out I’m having terrible muscle pain. What are some ways I can prevent or combat this?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,275 Member
    Options
    Is it generalized across multiple muscles or muscle groups, or localized to specific spot(s)? How long have you been doing your current workouts, and still having muscle pain?

I'm wondering whether you have some injury/injuries, or DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness)?

It's normal to have muscle soreness when starting a new type of workout that the body isn't accustomed to, usually more noticeable in the larger muscles, and it can be quite significant, subjectively. For most people, repeating the same type of workout on a regular schedule adapts the body relatively quickly, so that perceived pain is lessened, and eventually not an issue.

What to do depends on what you have going on.

This first case is very unlikely (statistically rare), but f you have the combination of serious muscle pain in major muscles like shoulders, thighs, or lower back; with muscle weakness or trouble moving arms and legs; and your urine is dark red or brown, or a very decreased amount from normal . . . see your doctor or an urgent care center now. (Look up rhabdomyolysis. You probably don't have it, so if you tend to read symptoms and get scared, be careful.)

If it's an injury, whether acute or overuse, you'll need to heal it. How? Depends on what it is.

If it's DOMS, keeping on with workouts, and keeping moving on day of and days between workouts (in a mild way, like stretching, yoga, walking, etc.) may help. Warm bath (Epsom salts if you've got 'em) may help.

Hydrate well (no need to drown in water intake, but get enough, so your urine is pale yellow), get good nutrition (especially but not exclusively enough protein), get enough good sleep.

If DOMS is severe, and your workout type allows, it's OK to back off on the intensity a bit and gradually build the challenge, rather than going full bore all at once. (What that means varies by exercise type: If you're running or biking, something like that, probably some combination of less duration, slower speed; If strength training, lighter weights or fewer reps/sets; etc.).

Best wishes for an easy, quick resolution!
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,139 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you're just trying to do too much, too fast?

I would also look at protein intake, we need protein to rebuild and repair muscle after exercise, so your intake shouldn't be too low. (although I'm not sure if that could cause muscle pain).
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    As stated above, you are probably doing too much too soon. Your body takes time to adjust to new exercise. How often are you working out? Give your body at least one rest day between workouts. You can walk on the rest days or do gentle exercise, but let your muscles heal. It is in the healing that they get stronger. Maybe start with shorter workouts and less intense. I have a bad history of doing too much, getting injured, and then not being able to work out at all. Give yourself time to build up a base level of fitness before you try to push hard.
  • ciaoder
    ciaoder Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    @Pridepup

Look up self myofacial release and foam rolling techniques.

Sleep more. Not just rest...sleep.

Make sure you start every workout with a warm up AND finish with a warm down.

For resistance training, as a rule, you shouldn't workout muscles that haven't healed yet.

If you aren't working with a trainer watch some videos and make sure you're doing your movements correctly.

Full disclosure, I am a trainer. I always think doing a posture/movement assessment and having a workout plan drawn up with a trainer is a good investment. Almost everyone has muscle imbalances that can be improved with a thoughtful plan. A thoughtless plan opens up the possibility of creating new muscle imbalances
  • Pridepup
    Pridepup Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @ciaoder

Thanks for your expertise! I do not have a trainer and have a connective tissue disorder that makes working out even more difficult/important. After talking to a family member I’ve started eating a bit before working out and following with a high carb snack and Propel immediately. I’ve also added a stretch routine after the cool down. I experienced terrible muscle pain the few days after my first routine last week. I’ll see how I’m doing tomorrow.
  • Pridepup
    Pridepup Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input!! It is DOMS. I am being very aware of body mechanics while doing my routines as I have a rare connective tissue disorder called Ehlers Danlos. This condition makes me very prone to injuries but requires me to build muscle for joint stabilization. Sorry tmi lol. You all are great and I’ll definitely post again as questions come up!!
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    If you have EDS, then I would advise trying to find a support group or PT trained in it in your area or online. Depending on which type you have, you may need support to help you exercise safely (ie be REALLY careful stretching before or after: you could stretch too far and cause an injury or pain without realising at the time). If you want to connect with me and message me I can let you know what works for me and how I manage (mild hyper mobility / probably classical EDS). I weight train successfully but I have to train stiffness in my joints and be cautious of overusing key muscles like the QL. Pain is a part of life and sometimes I have to just stop an exercise until the joint or muscle recovers.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Provided it's not actual injury and assuming it's DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness), doing a "ramp up" to a full workout is generally advisable...ie starting slower. If something calls for 5x per week, start with 2x per week and work up...that kind of thing. Fitness is something that is built over time and it is generally not advisable to just jump into strenuous or long duration exercise when you're coming from little or nothing at all.

DOMS is just your muscles getting sore from new use and/or increased intensity. It subsides with repetition as your body and muscles adapt to the stimulus. So start slower and make sure you have ample recovery. Note that ample recovery isn't necessarily a complete absence of soreness. Depending on the nature of the exercise, some things should also not be done on consecutive days in general...ie weight lifting using the same groups of muscles on consecutive days.

I've also observationally noticed over the years that many programs that market themselves as "beginner" really aren't, and really aren't designed for the person going from the couch to a 5x per week workout or whatever the protocol is.

Other than that, warm epsom salt baths are nice...and also, keep your body engaged and moving, even if it's just going out for a walk. DOMS ultimately subsides and becomes pretty much a non issue as your fitness improves unless you start doing something completely different.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Pridepup wrote: »
    @ciaoder

Thanks for your expertise! I do not have a trainer and have a connective tissue disorder that makes working out even more difficult/important. After talking to a family member I’ve started eating a bit before working out and following with a high carb snack and Propel immediately. I’ve also added a stretch routine after the cool down. I experienced terrible muscle pain the few days after my first routine last week. I’ll see how I’m doing tomorrow.

If you have a connective tissue disorder then I would not stretch as it might cause more problems than do you good. The issue is that in some people with such disorders the tight muscles have taken over the function of the tendons and ligaments, and stretching the muscles might make you less stable. Foam rolling might also potentially be problematic, depending. Are you getting treatment from a physical therapist properly trained in your condition? That would be the person to discuss this with. Strength training can potentially be good, also depending. As your muscles get stronger they might support your joint stability. But again it depends on the severity of your condition and what your actual problem is.

signed: someone with hypermobility.
    btw, I only ever get massages when things get really bad here. If I massage or stretch too much it destabilizes my body and I'm at risk of causing damage, or even dislocating joints. I also am on the contraceptive pill in long-term cycle as every break leads to softer tissue, and pain. If I follow my own rules that I've worked out over the years I'm generally fine. But my problems aren't too bad compared to many.