Almond Flour? What does everyone think about it?

Options
I'm making homemade chicken noodles and instead of using regular flour like I normally do I'm trying something different tonight . I'm using almond flour 👀 what does everyone think about almond flour? I think the texture so far is weird but I'm use to regular flour lol

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I think it can be a good alternative for people with gluten issues, although I’ve only seen it used in baking. For noodles, rice flour or corn flour seem to be better substitutes.

I don’t think it’s a direct 1-to-1 substitution in recipies, though. You should look into what ratio to use compared to wheat flour.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,080 Member
    Options
    What are you hoping to achieve? Do you need to be gluten free because of celiac, for example?

If weight loss is the point, as it is for so many here, 100g of almond flour has 579 calories, and 100g of wheat flour has 361 calories, so wheat flour would be the lower-calorie choice.

Also, it's the gluten in wheat flour that creates the qualities that make the noodles hold together, be sort of pleasantly chewy. Almond flour doesn't behave in the same way. I think if you sub it one for one, you'll get almond gruel, not noodles, when you boil them. I'm guessing on that last, though.
  • nicholehayes5120
    nicholehayes5120 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Someone just suggested it to me to substitute flour . But tbh it didn't turn out and I don't like the texture or taste. I just had a baby so trying to get rid of the baby fat that just seems to not wanna shake easily . I've been trying knew things since I've started a keto diet.
  • fatty2begone
    fatty2begone Posts: 249 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I had been gluten free for a while, trying to figure out if I had an allergy (still unsure if I am just sensative/not allergy). (past tense, just using normal wheat flour in limited quantity now)
    Almond flour was a good swap out for wheat flour, however, in most recipes, you could not just swap out the flour. You need an additional binding agent. I found adding pumpkin was doable in some baking dishes. Usually adding an additional egg too.

I tried making dumplings just by swapping flours and it fell apart (did not work) was a complete disaster and ruined the dish. I have read you need sorghum for binding agent.

As Ann indicated above, there are many more calories in almond flour then wheat flour. IMO rice flour, texture is horrible. Didn't like the texture and you still need a binding agent with that as well.

It will take some playing around to figure out the right consistencies, so be prepared for some flops until you have some experience.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    If it is a gluten issue, then there are gluten-free-1-to-1 all purpose flour blends available these days (the one I buy is even a store brand) that work pretty well (at least for biscuits, pancakes, crepes..I've never made noodles).

(I don't have any suggestions for a keto alternative though)
  • perryc05
    perryc05 Posts: 209 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Almond flour is good for baking but I don't think it will hold up as a noodle and will most likely break up in water. You would certainly have to use all eggs for the moisture content if you attempt it. You might be able to mix it with caulflower, mashed potato or sweet potato and make something like Gnocchi but it will be dense. I would test before making a big batch (it's quite pricey) but I think at the very least you are probably going to need to mix it with some other types of flours (maybe potato flour) if you want it to hold together when you go to boil it as noodle. This recipe uses brown rice flour and tapioca:
    https://www.snixykitchen.com/gluten-free-almond-flour-pasta/

You could look into dried pulse based pastas (provided you're eating pulses) if they're available in your home country -- they will save you a lot of time.