Pls suggest some healthy Indian dishes

Options
Hey i am from India and here i cant see or hardly see any indian dishes which are easily available in the kitchen, pls suggest some infian dishes to make our life easy and healthy. Tnx.

Replies

• tanushah
    tanushah Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Under 1200 calories per day. Tbx.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    ???? Indian dishes can be made as healthy (depending on your definition of healthy) or unhealthy as you want.

Do you mean low calorie? Do you mean healthy in which case you will have to define that.

If you're operating under the assumption that low calories = healthy or high calories = not healthy, first I will suggest that this is not the case, and next I will suggest that you should LOG a few recipes and see where most of your calories are coming from.

Surprisingly, if you do that, I think you will have a very very very good idea on what trades you might be willing to make to reduce calories with the least impact possible on taste and satiety.

Given most of the Indian food I've eaten and enjoyed... your big wins are going to be the amount of ghee, oil, cream, cashew, coconut, and similar that you use while preparing various dishes. The amount of rice and roti or naan that you consume will also be close contenders... and reducing how many gulab jamun you consume every week... well, that might come into play too! :wink:
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    Options
    PS Gulab jamen is tongue in cheek because it's pretty much THE standard desert (even more universal than Ras Malai and kulfi) you find in Indian restaurants around here mainly because they can keep them frozen and just blast them in a microwave to serve.... still I fall for the suckers; but I draw the line when they're simultaneously freezer burned and either unevenly heated or overheated by the microwave! :disappointed:
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Is it home cooked food and are you cooking it yourself? I make a lot of desi style Indian dishes and use the recipe builder to work out the calories and log them. I don't eat any special kind of diet food, I just make a portion to fit in to my daily calories.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    ???? Indian dishes can be made as healthy (depending on your definition of healthy) or unhealthy as you want.

Do you mean low calorie? Do you mean healthy in which case you will have to define that.

If you're operating under the assumption that low calories = healthy or high calories = not healthy, first I will suggest that this is not the case, and next I will suggest that you should LOG a few recipes and see where most of your calories are coming from.

Surprisingly, if you do that, I think you will have a very very very good idea on what trades you might be willing to make to reduce calories with the least impact possible on taste and satiety.

Given most of the Indian food I've eaten and enjoyed... your big wins are going to be the amount of ghee, oil, cream, cashew, coconut, and similar that you use while preparing various dishes. The amount of rice and roti or naan that you consume will also be close contenders... and reducing how many gulab jamun you consume every week... well, that might come into play too! :wink:

My screen name is Indian but I am not - I got it during the three years I spent at yoga centers in the US, where I ate a lot of Indian food.

I agree with the bolded - moderate the calorie dense food like ghee, oil, cream, cashew, coconut and limit the double carbs like rice and roti or naan. I love roti and naan, but do not find foods made from wheat very filling, so limit them.

You can also increase your activity level so you can eat more than 1200 calories per day. I encountered hundreds of healthy and fit vegans and vegetarians who ate lots of Indian food while maintaining a healthy weight due to their activity level.