Help

Options
Anyone know any tips on stop binge eating ... I keep on imma start now and now and now and now over and over I keep binge eating ...

Replies

• elsaschraeder
    elsaschraeder Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Kathryn Hansen has a podcast, "Brain Over Binge" that I'm finding helpful.
  • lillyy23
    lillyy23 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I know this might give the opposite effect but.. I been doing intermittent fasting I took some time off but I still didn’t take me that long to get back into it.. actually it was easier the second time but actually it helped me sooo much I used to binge and be an emotional eater but I started eating like 2 meals a day and I would make it protein packed and lots of greens , healthy fats and tons of protein and I would eat 2 big meals and even if I wanted carbs I could have 1 more piece of toast or something it controlled my eating cause I would stay sooo full and I felt satisfied so I would t want to binge as much. Or at all. It completely got rid of my snacking habits too I don’t snack anymore
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    The only way to get my binge eating under control was to give up trying to "moderate" binge foods. I have certain foods that are triggers so I just had to decide I won't eat those foods again, ever. (The book "Never Binge Again" helped me to wrap my mind around this - it's probably not for everyone.)
  • KimberlinaB
    KimberlinaB Posts: 4,016 Member
    Options
    Kathryn Hansen has a podcast, "Brain Over Binge" that I'm finding helpful.

I came here to mention this, and it has been super helpful for me in learning how to process the urges to binge. Last night I was able to talk myself out of a chip binge by letting myself have 3-4 and then reminded myself, I'm not hungry and this isn't helping me achieve my goals. I reminded myself that the hunger cue was "Neurological Junk". It worked. I just went to bed instead of finishing off the bag of chips.

I also agree partly with what Lillyy23 said above, Intermittent fasting has helped to a degree when i am trying to eliminate snacking/binging. I give myself a window throughout the day and then close it after I eat dinner and I start my app timer and don't eat until the morning (I would eat if I was actually hungry) but often I'm not, I'm usually bored or emotional and used food as an outlet.

I also don't keep sweets in the house if I can help it (aside from snacks my kids take to school... which aren't my thing). It's not easy to stop, but just remember, if it happens not to beat yourself up. Those negative emotions can cause a spiral.
  • gmcurtis
    gmcurtis Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I’m working on this myself so here are my strategies:
    - Don’t totally cut out foods I like from my diet (for me one of my big ones is bread and allowing myself to have a piece of toast or a small sandwich is key)
    - On the other hand, there are trigger foods that I just have too hard a time moderating. For me this is chips! If I lived alone they just wouldn’t be in the house. So now I’ve put them in the highest cupboard and will not allow myself even just one because I know I won’t be able to stop.
    - When I feel like just snacking I make tea and I just use a teaspoon of sugar in there.
    - I’ll set a timer for 20 minutes and go busy myself doing something else. Usually by the time the timer is done I’ll be over the urge.
  • autts_motts
    autts_motts Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A lot of the comments already touched on big ones that helped me.

- Not having easy, ready made triggers that are tempting in the house

- Having healthier alternatives ready to have instead

- Modifying your calorie intake (especially in the beginning. Be less restrictive, but not too permissive to the point where you're making excuses)

- Don't beat yourself up for struggling/binging. Over-restricting while having easy access is the biggest thing.

- MY #1 TIP: Use a smaller plate than the giant dinner ones, and have a variety of foods to taste at each meal. If that means for breakfast you have an egg, a slice of toast, apples, yogurt, and some peanut butter, then eat it. Count your calories, make sure if fits in with your goal, and then arrange it on your plate in a satisfying way. Especially if your plate is smaller, it makes it look not only full but satisfies the part of your brain that craves the creativity. The more effort you put into making the meal look pretty, the more satisfied you'll be when eating it.

- Working out has also really helped. It's another activity that I'm trying to focus instensly on, rather than using all my energy to think about NOT binging (and then feeling defeated after when I DO bingel.

It's not an easy road, friend. But trust me, you are not alone in this. So many of us struggle with it too ❤ The trick is outsmarted your brain 🙃
  • LaBellaHarris
    LaBellaHarris Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    gmcurtis wrote: »
    - When I feel like just snacking I make tea and I just use a teaspoon of sugar in there.

I just recently learned this trick! It's not that I actually want to snack my way through an entire bag of Peanut M&Ms, it's that I'm looking for comfort, and a hot green or herbal tea with a teaspoon of my favorite creamer satisfies that craving without making me feel sick or guilty after.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Change the way you habitually eat with small changes first. If you eat a big breakfast, etc, trim it back a little. Sometimes you need to make small sustainable changes first before going in big. It's like exercise. You don't go full in on day one or you'll likely not succeed or sustain.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Bridgie3
    Bridgie3 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    So many of us grow up with feelings of guilt and anxiety tied in with physical needs like hunger. I know by the time I was in my 20s I didn't have a clue which was which. I alternately starved and binged. I was never satisfied with my size or shape. I was hovering on the 60kg mark and when I look back I want to slap myself. I was gorgeous.

Things I have noticed since then: young people are trying to be much thinner than they did in my day. When I was young, being size 12 was average, and 10 was petite/thin. Now everyone's trying to be size 8. (nz sizes, don't know US sizes). So there's a kind of social anorexia going on and people are attempting to maintain themselves at an underweight level, which is pressure. Your body will be on the warpath to get calories all the time if you live this way.

I ate no fat, and a lot of sugar. I wouldn't dream of eating a moro bar, but I'd happily guts a bag of lollies. I can now see that sugar is empty. it's lonely and because your body gets no nutrition out of it, you're hungry again very soon. I eat now fats, and protein, and avoid carbs. If I eat normal chocolate I will kick in with my sugar addiction and have a horrible time for 2 weeks winding down from that: if I eat 72% chocolate it gives me chocolate without giving me sugar, and I can take it or leave it much more.

Chippies: If I start it's hard to stop. I don't start, or if I do, I buy those 18 pack lunch type packets, keep them in the back of the meat safe, and only take one packet when I go to the lounge. Once it's done, it's done.

Having watery snacks helps a lot, as I am often dehydrated. So ... half a cucumber cut into chunks - or just eat it as a hunk. Celery, I love celery, I don't know why people pick on it so bad. WAtermelon used to be a favourite, as were rock melon, honey dew melon; can't really have them with diabetes but you may be able to. Huge things, chompy things, but mostly you're geting a drink.

One favourite I used to have was to make a bowl of coleslaw and eat that every evening.

• mkculs13
    mkculs13 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    My laziness trumps almost all urges to overeat on high calorie foods--I don't keep them in the house at all, and I have to go get a single serving if I want something. It's a PITA to have to get in the car and drive somewhere for something I don't need, anyway. This worked well when my kids were young and didn't bring stuff into the house on their own; we'd make a little trip to the gas station every evening or two for one treat each. Not particularly exciting, but something we all looked forward to. (I didn't lose much back then, but it really helped me avoid gaining).

I also plan treats I enjoy into my week, and if I'm too lazy to go get it, well, I am a little ahead on things. If I eat more than planned (usually b/c I have guests or am on vacation), eh, it just means I'll be a little slower to get to my goal. As long as my overall trend is down, I'm satisfied. I lost 20 lbs my first year, 30 pds my 2nd year. Down more than 60 now--and still going. Once I gave up the idea that I "had" to lose X lbs in Y days, I started doing SO MUCH BETTER. Good luck, however you decide to handle the challenge.
  • azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Don’t seal off/restrict foods- just try to incorporate some into a daily/weekly schedule that works for you. I use food as a means of nutrition, not emotion- success is measured by my goals in career, health, etc.