Dizzy after working out

Options
Hello wanted some opinions regarding dizziness after working out. Despite being over weight I can put up a good hustle during working out my body is strong. I do spin class on mondays kickboxing on Tuesday’s and a run on Wednesday’s. Thursday is my rest day Friday I do yoga and strength . Saturday I play sports outside with my kids and Sunday rest day . Today is my run day I run for 25 minutes interval runs . I run at 5 mph for one minute rest for 30 seconds continuous until I hit 25 then walk for 5 minutes to cool down . Today I did 6mph instead and felt great and strong during my runs I was breathing a little heavier but made sure to keep to a breathing pattern. When I got off the treadmill I was hit with really bad dizziness and nausea . My body felt like it could have even kept going not tired at all. So I rested for 5 minutes then tried to move on to weights but kept feeling dizzy after my sets so I ended my work outs. I did eat breakfast and I don’t think I am dehydrated . No medical problems besides slight high blood pressure my doctor wasn’t concerned about . Calorie count daily is between 1200 to 1400 . I do not eat back my calories as I was told by doctor even with fitness watches calories burned are usually half of what is shown on here and fitness watches. Was hoping someone had some tips or suggestions I want to power through and keep reaching for my goals which is a 5k in 30 mins .

Replies

• westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Hm..... while I agree that it seems fitness watches can be inaccurate (so can the database and machines, etc.)...I'd think you should be eating at least some of your exercise calories back.

How did you calculate your daily calorie goal? If you used the guided set up on MFP and choose that you wanted to lose weight...you are supposed to eat back some workout calories- otherwise your calorie deficit will be too high (you would have very low NET calories).

For example - if you eat 1200 calories today, but you burn ~250 on your 25 min run (this is a very vague guestimate).... then your NET calories for the day would be 950, which is very very low.

The database for calories burned can also be wildly inaccurate but there should be ways for you to use a couple information sources to try to estimate your calories burned. When I was actively losing weight I used a HRM with a cheststrap that gave me an estimate of calories burned, my running apps estimate of calories burned, and then I'd google a source as well and choose some number in the middle and log it. You don't necessarily have to eat back 100% of those workout calories but I'd think at least some of them in order to make sure that your caloric deficit wasn't too high.

And as far as hydration -- have you ever tried adding a hydration supplement instead of just water? I use Nuun tablets especially when I'm running. Today I'm going to go for a run and it's only going to be like 67 degrees but it'll be sunny so I know I'm going to be sweating and will still have to be concerned about hydration.

Either way -- pay close attention if it continues happening bc being dizzy after working out isn't normal - but it might be hard to nail down what's going on. But my first thought would be possibly not eating enough or not hydrated (even though you might think you are). I hope you can figure it out though, being dizzy isn't very fun!

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    " I do not eat back my calories as I was told by doctor even with fitness watches calories burned are usually half of what is shown on here and fitness watches."

That's a guess on their part and it's going to be highly variable accuracy depending on the person and the exercise. That variability also includes under-estimating as well as over-estimating.

But what is absolutely certain is that your exercise isn't burning zero calories and yet that's what you are doing!
    This is a really poor strategy for someone with an extensive exercise routine and I hope you rethink.
    Powering through a poor strategy reminds me of the saying "when in a hole, stop digging".

People have weight loss success using both trackers and TDEE estimators which are very much a rough guess of your exercise burns in advance and yet it works.

BTW - different exercises can be estimated very well using different tools. Heartrate is just one option and often not the best one.

e.g. If your spin bike tells you average watts you can get within a few percentage points of accurate with probability that it's an under-estimate.
    Using calulations based weight moved over distance can be superior for both walking and running compared the HR.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    My first thought would be that you're not properly fueling your exercise as you aren't eating any exercise calories back and therefore aren't accounting for exercise at all in your calorie target. Yes, estimating calories from exercise can be difficult, but eating none is no more accurate than eating all and depending on the nature of the exercise, you could be substantially undercutting calories. You're doing quite a bit of exercise and eating what is typically recommended for a sedentary female to lose weight...the two don't jive at all.

Also, some methods of estimating calories out are more exact than others. I cycle quite a bit and use a power meter which is very accurate in determining calories out as per power in watts. I typically go to spin class once or twice per week and the spin bikes in my class all have power meters and give me a very precise calorie expenditure and it's usually substantial for an hour of spin...usually between 400-500 calories depending on that particular class and my effort.

It is also not uncommon when dieting for people to have jacked up electrolytes...particularly if they've cut carbohydrates significantly or are trying to do a very low sodium diet, etc. In this case, you may very well be hydrated in terms of liquid, but electrolyte depleted which can cause all kinds of issues, including dizziness. Another common issue here is excessive water consumption beyond normal hydration which also depletes electrolytes...excessive water consumption is, observationally, something that dieters seem to gravitate too for some reason.

Other than that, I'd take it to a Dr. as it isn't normal.
  • Lxxy30
    Lxxy30 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hm..... while I agree that it seems fitness watches can be inaccurate (so can the database and machines, etc.)...I'd think you should be eating at least some of your exercise calories back.

How did you calculate your daily calorie goal? If you used the guided set up on MFP and choose that you wanted to lose weight...you are supposed to eat back some workout calories- otherwise your calorie deficit will be too high (you would have very low NET calories).

For example - if you eat 1200 calories today, but you burn ~250 on your 25 min run (this is a very vague guestimate).... then your NET calories for the day would be 950, which is very very low.

The database for calories burned can also be wildly inaccurate but there should be ways for you to use a couple information sources to try to estimate your calories burned. When I was actively losing weight I used a HRM with a cheststrap that gave me an estimate of calories burned, my running apps estimate of calories burned, and then I'd google a source as well and choose some number in the middle and log it. You don't necessarily have to eat back 100% of those workout calories but I'd think at least some of them in order to make sure that your caloric deficit wasn't too high.

And as far as hydration -- have you ever tried adding a hydration supplement instead of just water? I use Nuun tablets especially when I'm running. Today I'm going to go for a run and it's only going to be like 67 degrees but it'll be sunny so I know I'm going to be sweating and will still have to be concerned about hydration.

Either way -- pay close attention if it continues happening bc being dizzy after working out isn't normal - but it might be hard to nail down what's going on. But my first thought would be possibly not eating enough or not hydrated (even though you might think you are). I hope you can figure it out though, being dizzy isn't very fun!

Lots of good info here to process thank you . Do a recovery powder but I think that’s aimed more at muscle Recovery vs hydration. . I will try adding a 200 calorie snack on days I burn 500 or more calories . I used the calorie set up on my fitness pal to lose 2 pounds a week at sedentary levels . I did watch a YouTube where they said take your goal weight add a zero and that should be your food goal regardless of how many calories you burned . So my goal weight is 180 so that would 1800 calories which is a looooot of food I don’t think I could eat that much in a day I struggle to get the 1400 a day sometimes. I am over weight because I rarely ever have an appetite and when I would eat it would be high calorie food. Which really messed up my metabolism and created a binge eating type of habit . Which I have successfully changed and schedule when to eat during the day . But it’s eating because I know I should and to fix my metabolism not because I’m hungry. I’ve gone to doctor and nutritionist countless times asking why I’m never hungry and they pretty much have ended up shrugging and suggested I reestablish my relationship with food as body fuel not emotional etc . It’s hard to eat healthy when your hungry sometimes but most don’t realize how hard it is to eat healthy when your not hungry .
  • Lxxy30
    Options
    Looks like majority is saying up the calories , I chose sedentary because outside of when I work out I am not very active . So much conflicting information out there on what to do. I will up my calories on days I work out and if that doesn’t help will get another check up with doc. Appreciate everyone’s time .
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Lxxy30 wrote: »
    Looks like majority is saying up the calories , I chose sedentary because outside of when I work out I am not very active . So much conflicting information out there on what to do. I will up my calories on days I work out and if that doesn’t help will get another check up with doc. Appreciate everyone’s time .

If you set it to sedentary, that's fine, but you need to then eat back your exercise calories. Especially if you think you are burning an extra 500 calories. Also, what did you set as your loss per week - .5lb, 1lb or 2lb? If 2lb, that may be too aggressive.
  • Lxxy30
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

"

That's one of the daftest pieces of advice ever!
    I'm maintaining at 168lbs and eating over 3,000cal most days and many days a lot more than that.
    There have been many studies done on how to come up with reasonable targets, it doesn't make sense to look for anti-science solutions like that.

You have gone for the fastest rate of weight loss that this site recommends, with the lowest activity setting and are then deliberately under-cutting your already low goal by ignoring what must be a decent weekly exercise expenditure.
    The real skill in estimating when calorie counting is in making all your estimates reasonable not in ignoring significant amounts of calories or aiming low on all the component parts of the puzzle.

This tool really does work if you use it properly.

😂 it didn’t sound very accurate to me either. Maybe I am expecting to much from my body and today was my body’s way of saying enough. I have been losing the targeted 2 pounds a week so I figured I was doing it right. Until today anyway . How do you feel about protein shakes ? If so which brands would you recommend to help me get more calories in?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are fine with advantage of convenience, cost, whey in particular is very bio-available. Can also be a decent amount of protein for relatively few calories.
    But disadvantages are that drinks don't tend to be very satiating compared to eating protein rich foods and it may not help in establishing good eating patterns for eventual maintenance at goal weight.
    (The brand I sometimes use as a convenient top up isn't available where you are.)

Your experience is very common on here unfortunately.
    Massive enthusiasm and motivation leading to very low calories and at same time increasing exercise.
    Works OK for a short time and then bites people in the *kitten* when the body's reserves are depleted.
    Then you get hunger, poor exercise performance, poor recovery, lethargy - your body fights back by slowing you down in daily life to conserve energy. Sadly giving up is often the result, the first yo in yo-yo. :disappointed:
    The more determined the individual the further down the rabbit hole you get!

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    How much weight do you have to lose? 2 lbs a week may be too fast a rate. It is appropriate if you have more than 50 lbs to go, but if you are trying to lose less than that, a pound a week or even half a pound may be more appropriate. It is a good idea to get used to eating in a way that you can continue once the weight is lost; otherwise you end up regaining all the fat and then some. That means learning to prepare nutritious food even when you aren't hungry.

Your dizziness may be dehydration or just overheating. I get orthostatic hypotension when it is hot and I am exercising hard. Not so much while I'm moving as when I stop. i.e. if I'm running and I stop at a red light. I'm not sure if it's an electrolyte imbalance or just that my post-menopausal body doesn't tolerate heat well. My doctor told me it was probably dehydration since my heart seems to be sound.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,426 Member
    Options
    I’d echo, please don’t rely on YouTube and social media for nutritional advice.

According to this plan, I’d be eating 1340/day. Dear lord! I maintain at more than double that figure (I average my calories and macros on a weekly basis.) At no point period during this journey of 100 lost did I ever eat that low. And I lost plenty steadily.

No wonder you’re a little woozy if you’re eating so low and not eating back any exercise.

Also, I’m a massive sweater. (TMI, huh?) I sometimes get dizzy when I’m particularly low on salt. I’ll come home and salt the bejesus out of something or just eat some out of my palm to replenish my supply.

Personally, I save my protein powders to put in baked goods, and I supplement them with liquid whey (makes for light, fluffy baked goods, too.) The liquid diet thing may work for some, but things I can chew and swallow are far more satisfying to me. I enjoy ( and I do mean ENJOY!) a protein bar every day. Again- chew factor applies.

Mastication. Good for the soul.
  • Lxxy30
    Options
    How much weight do you have to lose? 2 lbs a week may be too fast a rate. It is appropriate if you have more than 50 lbs to go, but if you are trying to lose less than that, a pound a week or even half a pound may be more appropriate.

I weigh 238 and I am 5’9 my goal weight is 180. I have lost 20 pounds so far 10 pounds a month. I will look into a hydration solution like the tablets mentioned above .

It’s very warm here I live in the desert even indoors it’s warm . Very well could have been overheating . I am sorry you go through that , it sounds really rough
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I get shaky and dizzy when under fueled and heat just makes everything worse. Make sure you are hydrated(possibly with electrolytes if you sweat a lot) and have eaten something within 2hrs of working out.
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Dianedoessmiles1 Posts: 12,024 Member
    Options
    I've been around for 10 plus years helping others to lose weight (I've lost over 110 during this time also). Here's a trend I see all the time. Those who lose quickly, if an injury occurs after they reach goal, or they get to busy, a death of a loved one, so many things can happen, but most who lose to fast, aren't working all the steps. Losing weight is so much more than food in, exercise calories out and the difference of. It's also about addressing why you had overeaten, the emotions behind it. Its also developing happiness with ourselves, right now, not for "when" these things take time. The weight loss helps with these, when done slowly (most will aim for a 1 LB a week) the majority who reach goal , who've done the work, do not regain it back. Do I want it fast or to last?

I've read through the above comments, the advice you've gotten is outstanding!!! Love the member supporting members. I am sedentary due to my health. If I eat 1250 cals a day I do lose .5 a week (but, I do not move much) so yes absolutely do bring up the calories. A good way and quick to see if you are dehydrated is to pinch the skin on the back of your hand, with your hand straight , fingers slightly apart, in the middle of your hand pinch the skin. If it stands up like a tent some within a few seconds , you need more fluid. On the harder exercise days (IE Running) more than just water. Otherwise water is great.

YOU WILL lose, maybe not as fast, but it's way more bound to stay off as long as you keep up your healthy habits.

Would you like support as you lose? On the 2022 Spring 5% Challenge we'll cheer you on!!

Come and check us out, you'll also be working on healthy habits as you do. ANYONE ELSE is also welcome to join us

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/142698-2022-spring-5-challenge-community
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    eat a pickle right after and see if that makes a difference.
  • Bridgie3
    Bridgie3 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I get a lot of nausea and dizziness with the diabetes type 2 - if it's not normal for you I'd say get a covid test.

And if it's not the covid, maybe eat a banana before working out? Could just be going low on sugar.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Is the running new? Do you run only one day per week? Are you following a specific training plan to run 5k in under 30 minutes?

In my experience, running is one of those exercises where my body demands more fuel to perform. I am an overweight runner currently rebuilding my weekly base miles. I need to lose about 40 pounds and have my tracked set to 1 pound per week. I personally don’t eat all my exercise calories but do eat quite a bit. I use hunger as my guide to determine how many exercise calories to eat. I also generally will not run on an empty stomach. I find that a banana or a granola bar about a half hour before I run to be helpful.
  • Mrsrobinsoncl
    Mrsrobinsoncl Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You are eating far too few calories, at 238 with it set to sedentary you should still be eating around 1700 a day. 1200-1400 isnt even enough to maintain your everyday activities, add all the exercise you are doing without eating back those calories and you are way under on calories.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Lxxy30 wrote: »

I also used 'sedentary' to figure out my daily calorie goal...I even did this using a TDEE calculator (in which you are *supposed* to include your intentional workout activity - I simply did this because for me, since I was using MFP to track my food and exercise, it made more sense in my head --- this may be different for different people).

It's fine to use sedentary - but if you told MFP that you wanted to lose 2lbs per day, it's already got a quite significant deficit figured into your daily calorie goal. If you are exercising on top of that you absolutely should be eating those calories back. Your workouts are not doing what you think they are doing for you if you are not fueled properly.

I know it can be hard to 'just eat more', especially when you feel out of control with food -- but I promise it's the right road to get you back to a place where you are better able to listen to and understand your own hunger cues - and trust your body when it tells you it's full/hungry.