Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

"worth every calorie" - inappropriate phrase??

Options
2»

Replies

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,296 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    well, no, I dont know that I am over thinking it - I didnt say I agreed that the comment was inappropriate

I dont agree at all, in fact

Just stumbled across it and thought it was a relevant topic to debate on MFP

I deliberately made my OP neutral so as to open discussion from an unbiased starting point

I don’t think you were overthinking it.

I do think the newspaper writer was specifically to drive curious readers to the article.

And, in order to prove my point, here is another recent article about how Twitter users are reacting to the show. Spoiler: It’s wholesome as heck. Zero fuss about Prue or calories

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/great-british-bake-off-tweets_l_615b69abe4b008640eb7faaf/amp
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    https://metro.co.uk/2021/10/20/great-british-bake-off-prue-leith-sparks-upset-with-calories-remark-15456076/

I dont watch the show myself but stumbled on this news item.

Do the fans have a point or are they over reacting?

We often read the same phrase on MFP posts about cake or whatever - admittedly this is a calorie counting site not a TV cooking show.

does anyone find it inappropriate here? or Ok in different context? or ok in both??

What do you think?

I'm reposting the article as I am not sure everyone read the link and so missed the comments that sparked the article.

Yes, they are way overreacting. Either their relationship with food is such that they shouldn't be watching the show or they like outrage for outrage's sake.

I stopped watching the show because it made me feel inadequate and hungry :lol:
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    https://metro.co.uk/2021/10/20/great-british-bake-off-prue-leith-sparks-upset-with-calories-remark-15456076/

I dont watch the show myself but stumbled on this news item.

Do the fans have a point or are they over reacting?

We often read the same phrase on MFP posts about cake or whatever - admittedly this is a calorie counting site not a TV cooking show.

does anyone find it inappropriate here? or Ok in different context? or ok in both??

What do you think?

I'm reposting the article as I am not sure everyone read the link and so missed the comments that sparked the article.

Yes, they are way overreacting. Either their relationship with food is such that they shouldn't be watching the show or they like outrage for outrage's sake.

I stopped watching the show because it made me feel inadequate and hungry :lol:

Heh...yeah, that's why I watch it while working out instead of sitting on the couch with food nearby. :D

While most everything on the show looks amazing, I will admit that some of the very traditional British dishes they are tasked with making are not very appetizing to me.

I really don't like the look of steamed puddings, fruitcakes, or lard-filled pastry dough packed with game meat.

Sorry, @paperpudding, but your profile picture always turns my stomach a little...
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    Sorry, @paperpudding, but your profile picture always turns my stomach a little...

ha ha ha, over the years have had various comments on my picture.(have had same one since joining 7 years ago)

Ranging from how appetisting it is, makes people want dessert etc - to stomach turning. :o

Even one poster who assumed, (incorrectly) because of my picture that I was from UK

ah well, such is life :)

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I stopped reading the article once I realized it contained spoilers for the 2021 season. Here in Canada we get the show a year behind, so the 2020 Bake Off just aired.

And, old cynic that I am, I think "outrage for outrage's sake" is pretty much the defining characteristic of most popular social media platforms these days, sadly.

eta quote tag mess
  • serena49
    serena49 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    "Some explained how saying that something is ‘worth the calories’ feeds into ‘diet culture’, while others highlighted how phrases such as that one can impact people who have been affected by eating disorders."

I'd suggest if people with eating disorders are watching the show - the impact of the show on their thinking is going to be much worse than a phrase.
    They probably shouldn't be watching the show in the first place if that easily affected.

"Diet culture"? - meaning a lot of people are on, or have been on, or desire to get on, or know they need to be on, a diet to lose some fat for health or vanity reasons - but that's a bad thing?
    I just don't get that one.

Ditto's to using the phrase is actually useful to so many people that may not realize you can account for the calories and enjoy something in moderation.

• SammyW103
    SammyW103 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Seems like outrage for outrage sake. I think it’s a great lesson in the way people think about food. It’s about trade offs and as most of the things they bake are treats without much nutritional value so they need to taste amazing or they aren’t worth the calories. It should be taught to children,…. The show is great and I love when the contestants help each other. I do admit it makes me hungry for baked goods!
  • xrj22
    xrj22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I do not find the phrase "worth every calorie" to be off-putting at all. It is a sentiment that most people feel at some point and can resonate with. common and not offensive. I do see where some people could find it annoying in a cooking show when they are trying to enjoy the food. So, maybe not "perfect" wording for the context, but certainly not worth all the outrage.
  • DebbsSeattle
    DebbsSeattle Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Viewers are over reacting. Everyone, everything, all the time…why are people such snow flakes?
    If you are recovering from an eating disorder…why are you watching food shows?
    Fat people, like myself, know they are fat, and most will tell you they love eating, cooking, baking. They also know that calories are in food.
    They did not that way from eating healthful, well balanced, whole food diets at maintenance level caloric intake.
    We are eating 1200-1800 calories a day here. We have had 3 splurges in these last 90 days…thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years. I’m pretty sure one of us said “worth every calorie” after each of those 3000 calorie days.