getting way to much sugar.

Options
I noticed lately every day I just go over my sugar limit. I know its bad but I dont want to keep going over my sugar limits anymore. Its the only thing I keep going over and would like to change that but Seems by lunch I have almost my entire daily limit of sugar. What are some good snacks and breakfast itams on the go that doesnt have much sugar in it?

Replies

• Heatherbledsoe
    Heatherbledsoe Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    dont eat processed foods...period. :) and you can still allow yourself a desert and be UNDER your sugar goals.
  • efarester
    Options
    I struggle with this too! I am interested to see what suggestions there are. I know drinking Shakeology has helped reduce my sugar cravings in general. But this is definitely an area I need to work on. Thanks for posing the question!!
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    where are you getting your sugar from? If it is from fruits and veggies, my thoughts on this is that it is good sugar, not refined and if you go over because of this, don't sweat it...if its from processed foods like sweets or from coffee, etc...switch to splenda....
  • hayescarmen364
    Options
    I wake up and shower then I am out the door to go to work. I take a poptart with me and I looked it has 35g of sugar in it. I dont have time to make something but I do sometimes snack on a apple instead of a poptart.
  • theradiantbride
    Options
    Well, first I think you need to determine how much sugar you're really supposed to get. While MFP is pretty good for calories and such, the amount it suggests for nutrients and such may not be quite right. I know for sure that we should be eating way more protein than MFP suggests.

So, first, I would get that number and see if you're still going over. Then, I'd try to see where the sugar is coming from. If it's fruits, I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it's actually causing you problems. But if you're still losing weight and you feel healthy and your blood sugar isn't jumping all over the place, I really don't think it's that big of a deal.

If you still think you are eating too much sugar, I'd try to snack more on veggies than anything else. Maybe try reducing sugar in things that you have control over. But I wouldn't suggest replacing it with chemical substitutes or anything like that.
  • MissMollieK
    MissMollieK Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    one thing you can try if adding sugar to something like coffee or baked goods is "stevia" - it is also in a product called NuStevia. VERY SWEET! sweet like sugar but different. If you try it you may like it or need to aquire the taste- I can't have splenda so I use it on occasion if needed. No calories at all and all natural:) ---Other than this- I stay away from chocolate- though I heard a little dark chocolate is always good for the heart and other parts of the body. Stick with items from the ground, off a tree, aka natural:) I also struggle to keep my sugar down- I do know when looking back, most is natural so I don't worry too much....oh and stay away from drinks w/sugar- soda, energy drinks, kool-aid, etc. High calories as well...ok I'm no nutritionist, but love health topics...I'll let someone else give their 2 cents:)
  • Darlis
    Darlis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Instead of the poptart which is full of empty calories and sugar, I buy Smart Ones breakfast sandwiches. Frozen and takes about 90 sec. in the microwave. 210 calories with some good protien. Not perfect but much better all around than the poptart and quick! I will confess to eating my oatmeal most mornings but when I have to be in a hurry.......
  • MissMollieK
    MissMollieK Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I wake up and shower then I am out the door to go to work. I take a poptart with me and I looked it has 35g of sugar in it. I dont have time to make something but I do sometimes snack on a apple instead of a poptart.
    Try a fiberone bar- they taste great, more filling than poptart and you get 1/3 of daily fiber. Look in health sections of stores, there are better options- and an apple isn't enough for breakfast-you need protein and some substance- try yogurt w/the apple, etc. Good luck!
  • Heatherbledsoe
    Heatherbledsoe Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    then make soemthing ahead of time, like an english muffin with egg and cheese sandwich, you can just pop in the microwave and go, poptarts are SO bad. Or eat some whole grain bread with peanut butter and banana.
    I mean, you have to make time, even if you just get up 5 minutes earlier
  • kjannan
    kjannan Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I get most of my sugar from fruit so I've decided not to monitor my sugar intake or it puts me off eating fruit.
    I'm doing well otherwise, considering the sweet tooth I had before I started on here!
  • sandhillcrane
    Options
    Agave nectar is really good. Much sweeter than sugar if you want to add it to anything. You won't need much!
  • scleesh
    scleesh Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Fiber one bars, nutrigran bars or protein bars are good on the move. I know how hard it is to find something good for you all the way around when you need it fast. They still may not be perfect but they are better then a pop-tart. Good Luck!