CLOSED GROUP-Get Ahead With The Shred!

Options

Replies

• sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Crazy time zones, I'm still in the same day I did my day 3 on! :P The static lunges always KILL me but otherwise I feel like it's getting much better.

Tomorrow is Friday and I'm going to my boyfriend's where there isn't room to do the shred at all, which kind of sucks but I can rest my muscles to come back it hard. There'll also be some bedroom cardio anyways ;P

I haven't had a look at day 2 yet, how much harder is it?

And t_rog, those pushups suck, but they make your boobs perkier ;) fun little bonus.
  • SuperScrabbleGirl
    SuperScrabbleGirl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Level 2... meh. It looks hard, but doable, from what I've seen on YouTube.

Have an ace time at your boyfriend's!
  • jmelyan23
    jmelyan23 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    I'm from a town in Utah (USA) that just keeps growing and getting busier every year. I LOVE LOVE LOVE books and I love to read just about anything, from sci-fi/fantasy to murder mysteries. I spend pretty much all my free time with my husband and daughter--those two help me keep going and make everyday better. :) Right now I'm in school to become a Pharmacy Technician and I'm about finished with the first 1/3 of the program, so I'm excited about starting new classes soon. I'm also a supervisor at my job (boring data entry, but it's work), and I work full-time there as well so I have a pretty busy schedule during the week. I'm glad that I have a group like you guys to keep me on track!

I did have a few questions for you all about the Shred .. when it comes to push-ups, can anybody do all of them? I find myself getting through 5-6 and then I can't seem to lift myself up anymore. Also, I've seen that a few people are mixing in Level 2 right now to switch things up .. is anyone else sticking to Level 1 completely until the 10 days is up, and should I be trying to do the advanced moves before I move on to Level 2, or does it matter?

Hope all the sickies are getting better and that everyone is having a great time Shredding! :)
  • chedeco
    chedeco Posts: 109
    Options
    I'm re-posting the daily challenges here for the second half of the week for those who were asking:

Wednesday: Get all the water you are supposed to have today. 64 oz. 8 cups. However you measure it. I never get my 64 oz. I'm lucky if I get half that. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! (I know, we should be doing this every day, but it's a jumping off point for those of us who don't get enough water for whatever reason.)

Thursday: Find a yoga pose that interests you online or in a book. Practice it, own it, and make that the way you start and end your shred each day. If you're so inclined, you can begin added yoga into your daily routine!

Friday: Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Park farther away from your building or the store. If you work at an office job, take a walk during lunch. If you're a student, skip the bus and hoof it to your next class. It's Friday, which should put a spring in your step!

Saturday: Let yourself have a little treat today. Not necessarily a food treat, but a little token of affection for yourself and how well you're doing. That new book you've been eyeing? Snag it. The body lotion that makes you smell heavenly? Own it. New movie just came out you're dying to see? Head to the cinema or rent it, redbox or Netflix-style. You've earned it!

Sunday: I don't mean to go all "Biggest Loser" on you but...today's your day for your last chance workout. Monday is your first real weigh-in to see what the first week of 30-Day Shred has done for you. Get to the gym. Do some stretching. Get out and walk. Take a class. Stick to your calorie/fat goals. Do your best and let the scale congratulate you in the morning!

As for the push-ups, I do the ones where I'm on my knees and cross my ankles. I can't do "real" push-ups yet. And I plan to stay on Level 1 of the Shred for the full 10 days or longer if I feel like I need to. It's all about going at your own pace. If some people are ready to move up or mix in some level 2, awesome! Those of us still trucking away on Level 1? We're awesome, too!

Laurel, have a fab time with the bf. I myself am hoping to work in some bedroom cardio this weekend as well! :love:

I'll post new daily challenges for next week by 8 pm Sunday night Eastern Standard Time. Also, feel free to mix up the days on which you do the challenges or do several on one day. I'm here to help and motivate! Good luck and love to you all!
  • sugarbone
    Options
    I can do the pushups the whole time, but I do the girlie pushups on my knees. If you're heavier it will literally be harder as you're essentially bench pressing your entire body weight - as you get thinner and your muscles get stronger you should be able to do more! It doesn't matter where you start as long as you're improving.

Time to browse for a yoga pose :)
  • DanikaDawn
    Options
    Exhaustion. Especially with my TOM. Ugh. I hate being a girl sometimes. Not to mention the added weight we all carry around in our bras thank you very much. I missed a day of shredding but I walked on my tredmil and I'll come back hard tomorrow!

@chedeco how do you log that "bedroom cardio"? :love:
    Just teasing <3
  • SuperScrabbleGirl
    Options
    Yeah, I always have to remind myself that I'm trying to lift 264 pounds. I never can so I just drop and do them on my knees. It's still tough! if you can feel your arm muscles working, then you're doing it right.

I always take the stairs! I'm only on the second floor at work and the first floor at my flat though, so it's not a great strain. I'll get off the bus a few stop early, that should do it ;)
  • sugarbone
    Options
    Hooo! Just finished day 4, I decided I'd bring the dvd to my boyfriend's and move his coffee table. He just laughed at me the whole time then gave me a calf massage, lol. Those jumping jacks and jump ropes always make my calves so tight x.x and those lunges still kill me! But the workout feels shorter every time.

My school is indoors and 6 stories tall, all my classes are on the top floor but I walked the stairs a couple times in my free period and walked into town to eat my lunch. :-)
  • SuperScrabbleGirl
    Options
    I really can't do the jumping jacks, it's nothing to do with the energy it takes or anything, I'll do the jumping, but (sorry, this is going to sound awful, but I have to say it) I can't stand the my boobs banging around and, more so, my stomach. I'm wearing a proper sports bra, but I've just bought another one to wear at the same time so that'll arrive soon. I guess i need to invest in some major lycra to hold everything in.
  • chedeco
    Options
    I'm curious about which yoga poses people are choosing/have chosen.

As for logging the bedroom cardio, I log it as horseback riding. My bf is a bit of a stallion. :love: J/K

Happy Friday, ladies!
  • SuperScrabbleGirl
    Options
    Okay, so I was feeling pretty gross when I came in (I almost threw up on the way home from work). But I really wanted to do a work out. I've been feeling sluggish and gross all day (I had a massive lunch), so I wanted that feeling gone. So what did I do? I decided that Level 2 would be a good idea. Ha. It wasn't.

There are a LOT of tough plank exercises in there, and for a woman weighing 264, that's tough! Still I did most of it. I'm going to log is as a L1 though, because I did have to sit some of it out. Mostly though, I have to say, because I don't have a proper mat, and I was sweating so much that my hands kept slipping. How totally gross.

Weirdly I feel loads better now.
  • t_rog
    t_rog Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    In just about an hour, i'm going to be heading home for the weekend since its my last chance before classes start. I'm going to try my very very hardest to continue 30DS over the weekend! I'll check in with you ladies on Monday :)
  • SuperScrabbleGirl
    Options
    I JUST DID ALL OF THE BICYCLE CRUNCHES!

Eat THAT Day 6!
  • sugarbone
    Options

Eat THAT Day 6!

yay!! even if I don't find bicycle crunches the hardest exercise by themselves (darn you lunges...) right at the end it's like urgh, I'm gonna die!

Day 5 complete for me, which burned enough cals to allow for half a toasted bagel with cream cheese :-) oh bliss.
  • jmelyan23
    jmelyan23 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options

Eat THAT Day 6!

Woohoo!! Great job :) I still haven't managed to get through all of them yet, but it's not day 10 yet, so I'm not losing hope!!

By the way, I may possibly be missing my workout tonight because I'm feeling really sick--I have nasty sinus congestion and a sore throat/cough. I'll do my best to get it done so I can keep up with all you guys.
  • SuperScrabbleGirl
    Options
    DONE with Day 7.

I had a huge hangover-busting BK today (pretty much all my cals in one meal. ****) and the salt is giving me really bad indigestion. I pushed through though. I do not feel good now.

I usually get an endorphin rush, but I'm too busy feeling sick. Bleh. Glad I did it though.

How's everyone's weekend been? GOod with cals? Bad with cals?
  • rawrkeia
    rawrkeia Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    So I'll tell on myself. I already fell off the wagon. BUT its still the beginning and I'm jumping right back in there.
    I've been stressing over tests that I'm unprepared for and papers I need to write. This school thing really stinks.
    But even without me not exercising for the past few days, I've managed to lose a pound so far. I'm loving this no bread kick. Though I do miss the stuff like crazy. Now if only I could kick pasta. xD

Anyways, I'm bout to do my Day four. Wish me luck.

Oh, and I'm still sick. It won't go away! I take medicine for it and everything. D:
  • rawrkeia
    rawrkeia Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Y'all are seriously some of the biggest inspirations I've had. I love hearing about your progress and it made me push my way through the nasty bicycle crunches today.

Workout was pure h**l. Worse than Day One. I think its cause my sickness is still lingering except now its mostly sinuses so its hard to breathe. :( That and I haven't ate anything all day. I'm just not hungry at all.

1583 CALORIES REMAINING
    I dunno what to even eat. I know I need to eat at least 1350 cause that's my daily intake, but like nothing even sounds good. :(
  • SuperScrabbleGirl
    Options
    You're going to feel really bad if you've exercised on an empty stomach. How about some plain pasta? Or toast. FInd a base food that you can build on, or keep plain.

Well done on jumping back on it anyway.

So, I know we aren't supposed to be weighing in until tomorrow, but my regular weighing in day is Friday, and I had maintained. Hmm. I'd be interested to see how everyone else does. I've never exercised this much, I was pretty annoyed that I hadn't lost anything.
  • chedeco
    Options
    Okay ladies, I know I've been a bit MIA this week, but I've still been doing my best even though my MFP stuff has been lacking. It's Sunday which means it's your LAST CHANCE WORKOUT before our very first weigh-in tomorrow (Monday) morning. Push yourself just a little further, a little longer, a little harder today. Go deeper on the lunges. Use heavier hand weights. Try to not to take any breaks. Whatever you can to squeeze out that little bit of strength you have left. We can do it, I know we can.

That being said, I know many of us have had a tough week, be it physically, emotionally, mentally, etc. So let's not get too discouraged because we did our best. Some of us (myself included) have had TOM visiting. Some of us have had family gatherings where eating was a part of the healing process. Some of us were stressed about school and some of us were just plain sick. Congratulate yourselves for making it through the first week. I plan to stay on Level until at least Day 10, and possibly longer if I don't feel ready to move to Level 2 yet. I would encourage you to listen to your bodies and do what feels right for you.

Mini-Challenges for the coming week...

Monday - Post three things on this message board that you are doing well and three things you need to work on. It's time to brag and be proud but also to air our dirty, little secrets. Honesty is key...what have you been dying to get off your chest with regards to food/diet/exercise/fitness/health/relationship choices?

Tuesday - Try a new class at your gym, your school's rec center, perhaps your office offers something. If not, rent something or find something online. The 30-Day Shred is great but we want to vary our workouts as well. Do the Shred, but get in some other, different kind of workout as well...Pilates? Yoga? Zumba? Kickboxing? There are lots of cheap DVD's to buy/rent and you can also search online. If you have a Nintendo Wii or XBox Kinect, those have built-in workouts. The point is, get some spice and variety into your routine.

Wednesday - You worked your butt off on Tuesday. You did the Shred AND a different, new workout. Today, let's see some results. The scale is not always the best indicator of progress, so find that shirt that was just a bit snug the last time you tried it on or those pants you couldn't quite button. After a week and a half of shredding, do you find that your clothes are fitting differently?

Thursday - We had this challenge last week, but we're having it again. GET YOUR 64 OZ A DAY OF H20! Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!

Friday - Try a new recipe that fits in with your newer, healthier lifestyle. Jot down the recipe, take pics, and share with us! Even if it turns out badly, it's still a challenge completed.

Saturday - Oh, Saturday. A tricky day for many of us. If you go out to eat or order in, try not to worry as much about calories as about portion control. We are making a lifestyle change and we are going to have to learn how to eat in restaurants and to eat alongside people who are not dieting/making healthy choices. So, order that ice cream cone. But get a small instead of a large and skip the sprinkles. Or opt for grilled chicken instead of fried, and always ask for your salad dressing on the side. You can have a soda. But just have one. It's all about moderation.

Sunday - Alright, ladies, you've completed Week 2 of the Shred and some of you may be on to Level 2 by now. For Sunday, I challenge EVERYONE to do Level 2, even if it's for the first time. If you have to quit and go back to Level 1, fine. But give Level 2 all you've got first. It's all about pushing ourselves a little bit harder. This is when we will start to see results on the scale and in our measurements.

In conclusion, I'm so proud of each and every one of you. Don't forget to weigh in as soon as it's morning in your part of the world, after you pee but before you eat. And own the number you post, even if you didn't lose any weight, even if you gained weight, own it. Because being healthy is about more than just food and exercise and numbers; it's about confidence in ourselves and taking responsibility for our actions. We can do it! Let's get shredded! Good luck!