NO Thyroid

Options
Hello, my name is Shara. I've been using myfitnesspal for some time now off and on, more on lately. I had my thyroid removed in 2009 and have me struggling with my weight every since. I've reduced my calorie intake and exercise 3-5 times a week. Yeah I'm frustrated, mad, and sad. Regardless of all these emotions I refuse to give up and next year this time I will be 25lbs. lighter..I haven't gain any weight since July, been and a stand still and that's why I refuse to give up!! I'm coming size 12 pants!! If anyone have any suggestions I'm all ears.

Replies

• Corby86
    Corby86 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You might need to work a bit closer with your doctor to get your hormone levels just right. . .if you are eating a calorie deficient diet you should lose weight, if you aren't losing weight then you might need to up your hormone levels. . .
  • jnickersonx2
    Options
    Good luck with everything in regards to your lack of Thyroid. I had mine removed the end of May and just recently finished the Iodine Radiation Therapy. Between surgery and this treatment, I've gained 25lbs. So I'm here with ya with all of this. I'm hoping that this time next year I'm down those 25lbs definately, but hopefully 25 more. Good luck and if you want to chat or help eachother be supportive, I'm here for ya! I'm just trying to get back into this full swing as well.
  • luvtrails
    luvtrails Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed in 1990 and I take Leventhroid. Without this, I gain weight, have trouble sleeping through the night, loose hair, have dry skin, NO sexual appetite, etc. Look up symptoms of hypothyroidism...the most under diagnosed problem for women!!! Ask your doc to treat you for symptoms...two weeks and I am great!

Great luck!
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Mine was removed in 2006 and I know where you are coming from! I'm also menopausal, so that has a role too, I'm sure! I know that it is possible to lose weight, but it's really difficult! Hang in there! We can do it together!
  • butterfly0175ssh
    butterfly0175ssh Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the doctor just increased my dose & I go back to see him in Nov. I wouldn't be surprised if he up my dose again.
  • trail_turtle
    trail_turtle Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Find a doctor who will work with you on medications, dosages, and troubleshooting.

Some people do better on a natural (dessicated porcine) thyroid treatment--such as Armour or Acella--than they do on the synthetics.
    It may take some experimentation and adjustments (under close doctor's supervision!), but don't give up, and good luck in your pursuit of better health!
  • butterfly0175ssh
    butterfly0175ssh Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm on synthroid & just had my dose increased to 150, I'm sure he'll increase it again. My beautician noticed less hair follicles..:(
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's really hard on your hair!