Fitness Trackers (cheap) UK recommendations 2

Options
roryduffy27
roryduffy27 Posts: 1 Member
edited March 2022 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi!

I know that there is an old thread about this but decided to start a new thread with the same name, as it's 5 years old. I hope that's ok!

I am looking for a max £40-£50 fitness watch that syncs with MyFitnessPal. I have used MFP for years and it works so well for my goals and progress-tracking.

I had the following before:

2018-20: Delvfire Pulse Fitness Tracker
Accidentally dropped it while running

2020-21: Delvfire Inferno Fitness Tracker
Fell off my wrist when I was on my bike

I am after a cheap one as I have found that they are fairly easy items to lose when moving about etc., and I couldn't trust myself to take the financial risk with an Apple Watch/Fitbit. :D

I have seen on some threads that Garmin is compatible with MyFitnessPal?

There are many options on Amazon UK, but it is difficult to tell which ones are MFP-compatible. I have read some comparison blogs, but they don't compare by price which makes it tricky to identify the value ones.

I tried inputting "MyFitnessPal" into the Amazon UK search. A few watches came up, but none of them referenced MyFitnessPal. So, not sure why they came up in the search...

It may be that there are none, in which case, I would go for something that syncs with VeriFitPro and manually enter calories from there into MyFitnessPal (but that seems a bit laborious - surely there must be a streamlined/automated way of doing it?)

Any thoughts/recommendations (including slightly more expensive ones and/or cheaper alternatives that sync to iPhone in other ways) gratefully appreciated. :)

I walk, run, cycle and rollerblade.

Thanks!
Rory

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,141 Member
    Options
    All Garmins should be compatible with MFP since Garmin Connect syncs to MFP.

I have a Vivoactive 4 myself, but I think they have cheaper models too. (or perhaps second-hand?)
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,141 Member
    Options
    PS you can check the compatible brands in the app in the general menu, under Apps & Devices.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Since you are a runner, Garmin is a good choice. I personally wear a Fitbit as a wristwatch. I previously had the Flex2, then the Inspire and then upgraded to the Charge for built in GPS a couple years ago. Wearing a wristwatch style has kept me from losing it. I lost 3 that clipped to my waistband previously and accidentally tossed 2 waistband ones into the laundry. The only reason I wear Fitbit vs Garmin is because of the social interaction I have on Fitbit with relatives and friends. Otherwise I’d switch to Garmin based on what I’ve seen from friends in my run club.

Note, if you are just looking for a step counter, I synced my phone with MyFitnessPal during the times I was without a wearable tracker. I almost always have my phone with me, and it did a reasonable job of picking up my activity.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Yes, I would also suggest a second-hand watch. Maybe a Vivoactive 4/4s. The gps takes a while to get a satellite fix, but other than that it's working very well. Heck, if I was in the UK I would offer you mine for about 50GBP. Garmin at least has the advantage that they (so far) don't offer a premium membership and you get all the stats you want.
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I agree a second watch is your best bet.
    I have a fairly old Fitbit Charge 2 and it functions perfectly.
    I've seen them on ebay for less than £20
    You could even pick up a newer model for around £50