trying to kick the sugar substitute habit!!! HELP

Options
Okay guys i like my coffee SUPER SWEET i had been using 6 splenda 4 sweet and low and about 11 servings of regular coffeemate!!! YIKES - when i realized i had all the symptoms of sucralose toxicity, i just stopped cold turkey. the up side is i was only drinking one cup of coffee a day-but still those sucralose levels were too much!:drinker: I am trying to figure WHAT creamer i can use with the LEAST amount of sugar (calories you know) to get back on my coffee regimen-does anyone have any suggestions? thanks guys!!

Replies

• Corby86
    Corby86 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You could try using Stevia instead of artificial sweetener - it is a naturally sweet herb and helps to stabilize your blood sugar levels (which is an added bonus for weight loss)

Can't give any advice on coffee-creamer coz I use soy
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Do you like the flavored creamers? I LOVE the Fat Free Vanilla by International Coffee - 30 calories in a Tbps, and adds just enough sweet.
    Only 5 sugars/7 carbs per serving.
  • koutroulakis
    Options
    I use sugar in the raw and non fat dairy creamer (land o lakes) with a splash of the flavored creamer. I recently cut out sugar substitutes and feel now that I don't use them I crave junk less, ecspecially sweets. good for you for looking for healthy alternatives.
  • drjennelle
    drjennelle Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    i HIGHLY recommend almond milk and something derived from the stevia plant (stevia in the raw, truvia, etc). when i get coffee at dunkin donuts i either ask for a medium with whole milk and bring my own truvia (60 cals), or if it's iced i get a small with cream and truvia (70 cals). at home i use the almond milk and truvia and one cup of coffee usually only has 30 cals (1/2 cup of almond milk) and it's SUPER sweet, but all stuff that is good for you and NO SUCRALOSE :) i highly recommend it! :)
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    could you even taste the coffee?? :laugh: :wink:

I use sugar free coffee mate. But if you try to make it that sweet, you'd still be adding in quite a bit of creamer (which means quite a few calories).
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    i HIGHLY recommend almond milk and something derived from the stevia plant (stevia in the raw, truvia, etc). when i get coffee at dunkin donuts i either ask for a medium with whole milk and bring my own truvia (60 cals), or if it's iced i get a small with cream and truvia (70 cals). at home i use the almond milk and truvia and one cup of coffee usually only has 30 cals (1/2 cup of almond milk) and it's SUPER sweet, but all stuff that is good for you and NO SUCRALOSE :) i highly recommend it! :)

I've been wondering about almond milk in my coffee. I've got some in the fridge, I may have to try that tomorrow morning.
  • anjoylus19
    anjoylus19 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the replies guys-i cant do the almond milk bc im allergic to all almond/peanut products so that knocks out the hazelnut creamer and all that stuff lol-but yeah i will try truvia or stevia and non fat creamer-thanks again!
  • drjennelle
    drjennelle Posts: 138 Member
    Options

I've been wondering about almond milk in my coffee. I've got some in the fridge, I may have to try that tomorrow morning.

you should TOTALLY try it! one thing i would suggest - measure how much creamer you think you normally put in and try that - because one thing i would notice is that the almond milk doesn't change the COLOR of coffee as much as regular creamer (as in, it still looks really dark even when you put a bunch in and i've actually made my coffee WAY too sweet this way, thinking i needed more milk!) in a cup of coffee at home i'd say i do a little less than 1/2 cup of almond milk and two packets of truvia and it is DELISH :) you'll have to tell me how you like it! :)
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options

THIS!!!!! It's not quite the same as the regular creamer, but it'll do if you miss the coffee. I really like Truvia myself. I eat it on my strawberries often! Oh and if you are looking for something to replace Crystal Light I buy True Lemon Lemonade sweetened with Stevia.

Good luck!
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the replies guys-i cant do the almond milk bc im allergic to all almond/peanut products so that knocks out the hazelnut creamer and all that stuff lol-but yeah i will try truvia or stevia and non fat creamer-thanks again!

Sorry, didn't see this part before I responded. How about vanilla rice milk, can you do that?
  • anjoylus19
    anjoylus19 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    i have never tried it but if its not a nut based thing then yeah i def think i could.